• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

T-amp recommendations

Just received my S.M.S.L. SA-S1 TA2020 amp and power supply from the S.M.S.L. auction store, and I have say that I am impressed with this diminutive amp driving my upgraded Klipsch Forte II's. Straight out of the box, this amp is smoother sounding and more tonally balanced than my modified Sonic Impact 5065 T-amp (gen 2 SI T-amp). The low end is fuller, the midrange is fuller and the highs don't have that odd bright character that some T-amps can have. I chose this model because it has air core inductors on the output filter leading to the speaker outputs. Supposedly, the air core inductors can provide a smoother, more relaxed sound, and this is what I'm getting.
 
I have two of the 50 wpc SMSL amps and really like them. Nice and clean. Not a ton of power but good for near-room listening.
 
I couldn't resist opening the box to see the interior and it looks exactly like the unit advertised on the auction site with the thick brushed Aluminum face plate. I bought it from the S.M.S.L. store since they are the manufacturer. As far as I can tell, everything looks new including the NOS ERO MKT1813 input caps. I've had experience buying Chinese-built amps that actually had used components in them.

The power supply is rated at an optimal 13.8VDC/4A output. It sounds better than the Helder HiFi TA2020 T-amp I also bought from the online auction site, and that is considered by some to be one of the better TA2020 T-amps available. It's smoother and quieter than the Helder T-amp and required no assembly--pure plug and play.
 
What is the difference between the S.M.S.L. SA-S1 and the SA-36A? Aside from the air filled inductors, they look pretty similar in the descriptions?

(and rhing, we want pics!!)
 
The DTA-100a only has one headphone output. The other hole is an input which, when in use, overrides the RCA inputs on the rear of the amp.

Well no wonder I couldn't hear a damn thing out of my cans, LOL. It's a good thing I didn't return it just for that! :lmao:
 
any one try out this one? pictures of the inside look a lot like the SMSL. sa-s1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Indeed-Tripath-TA2020-Mini-Cute-Class-T-Amplifier-20WX2-/250915421106

The Indeed amp is actually a cousin of SMSL's older model AMP-03 TA2020 T-amp. Both amps have those funny speaker connectors instead of 5-way binding posts like the SMSL SA-S1. The Indeed and SMSL AMP-03 T-amps use electrolytic input signal caps instead of film caps like the SMSL SA-S1, and those two amps do not have the air core inductors on the output filter. Some may argue that electrolytic caps have no business in the signal path, but I don't feel that way at all. I just thought that the SMSL SA-S1 offered the most bang for the buck because it does have more space to roll other film caps for the inputs, it has real 5-way speaker binding posts and I wanted to try an amp with air core inductors like the DIY Paradise Charlize and Autocostruire TA2020 amps, which have received good reviews.

What is the difference between the S.M.S.L. SA-S1 and the SA-36A? Aside from the air filled inductors, they look pretty similar in the descriptions?

(and rhing, we want pics!!)

The SMSL SA-36 is similar to the SA-S1 except it has different film caps and what looks like Ferrite or micrometal core inductors instead of air core inductors. The power supply caps appear to be smaller in size and capacitance and this could affect bass response and dynamic range. In general, higher capacitance is desirable. It looks like an improvement over the older SMSL AMP-03 as it has five-way speaker binding posts and film-type input caps (for those who prefer film caps in the signal path).

Here are a few pics. I'll post more as I take them.

2013-05-15 19.06.16.jpg 2013-05-15 19.13.24.jpg 2013-05-17 11.26.26.jpg

The volume knob is a bit off-center, but I can fix that myself later. So far, so good.
 
Last edited:
I've got a couple of the 2020's,
great little amp if you aren't playing too loudly and have efficient speaks. They sound really good to me driving pair of old infinty Qa.

jaz

I just got one for a friend, and it sounds great. I'd think it would have no trouble powering KLHs to moderate levels.
 
Here's a photo of my analog set-up consisting of a restored vintage Kenwood Trio PC-400U belt-idler wheel drive turntable feeding my ARC PH5 phono stage that is connected to the SMSL T-amp. My typical amp set-up includes the ARC LS7 line stage driving an EFB-modified Dynaco Stereo 35 6BQ5/EL84 push-pull amp. The T-amp might serve as my warm weather alternative when it just gets too warm to have tubes glowing. The tube amps still trump the T-amp, but what I'm hearing so far is very good.

2013-05-16 18.36.34.jpg
 
900x900px-LL-02a3c8e5_DSC00328.jpeg


Topping TP21. As I've said before. Quite fond of it. :) Tremendously crisp and clear. Very little to fault it of.
 
Like them or not, chip amps that is, they have to represent the biggest bargain in audio. Quality amplification under $50 and they only weigh about a pound.

cubdog
 
Read an interview with Bel Canto's John Stronczer the other day where he claims they only moved from Tripath to B&O's ICEPower modules because of the former company's financial woes and the prospect that Bel Canto would be left without a supplier. Clearly, Tripath must have made a lot of chips before they went under - still feel subtle pressure to get one before I start seeing the dreaded 'out of stock' label slapped on the usual suspects : nobody wants a repeat of the Squeezebox fiasco.
 
Read an interview with Bel Canto's John Stronczer the other day where he claims they only moved from Tripath to B&O's ICEPower modules because of the former company's financial woes and the prospect that Bel Canto would be left without a supplier. Clearly, Tripath must have made a lot of chips before they went under - still feel subtle pressure to get one before I start seeing the dreaded 'out of stock' label slapped on the usual suspects : nobody wants a repeat of the Squeezebox fiasco.

All the good chips are not Tripath. My Scythe amp, that really sounds nice, is built around a Yamaha chip. The Sure amps discussed here are not Tripath either. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for chip based amps. Really interesting.

cubdog
 
All the good chips are not Tripath. My Scythe amp, that really sounds nice, is built around a Yamaha chip. The Sure amps discussed here are not Tripath either. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for chip based amps. Really interesting.

cubdog

At the risk of splitting hairs, the thread title does say 'T-amp'. :yes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-amp

A Class T amplifier is an audio amplifier integrated circuit design. Rather than being a separate "class" of amplifier, Class T is a registered trademark for Tripath's amplifier technologies.

When I think 'chip amp', I think Gainclone and a mountain of portable headphone amps. T-amp, for me anyway, is a very specific group of amplifiers built around Tripath chips. I agree that there are interesting times ahead for the 'amplifier on a chip', regardless of who made it. :thmbsp:
 
The Sure TK2050 uses the Tripath chip and sounds somewhat better than my Topping and Dayton. The beefy power supply is probably the main reason it does.

picture.php
 
5aquza6a.jpg


y4utumar.jpg


The SMSL 36a arrived today and I am amazed by it's power. Even on my Rocket RS750's, it was powerful enough at half volume to reach wife-waking levels while still sounding tight.

Very impressed. I was a little nervous when I saw the mini banana plug jacks, but once I got them hooked up, it turned out they work great.
a3etu2a8.jpg



Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
 
Inspired by Joe, I just hooked up my new little Sure amp to my Squeezebox and Sony speakers. Pretty amazing SQ. This is right out of the box so if you believe in break in things will only get better. Plenty of power to drive the Sonys although there is a bit of harshness I'm not used to. Nevertheless it is a sound I could live with if need be. These will do just fine on my front and back patio.

cubdog
 
Another cool thing. The Sure used with the Squeezebox gves me remote control capabilities. We live in amazing audio times.

cubdog
 
Back
Top Bottom