• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Taylor Swift I just don't get it

Axcel

Accuphase all the way
May be showing my age here and sounding a bit like my Dad 30 years ago but I turned over to the CMA's last night and caught a performance of Taylor Swift and I just don't get it? She was throwing furniture off a set, tossing her hair back and forth while wearing what what appeared to be leather pants leather pants. Is this the new country? not too mention imho to have a very average voice. She won 3-4 awards Does she fits a certain age appeal or something>?
 
Register to hide this ad
Taylor Swift is just the tip of the iceberg IMO. The music mavens have taken everything that had value out of country music, and replaced it with the same old tired, cookie cutter pop that has taken over the airwaves just about world wide.

She's got an decent voice, and good stage presence, but if that's country music I'm Mahatma Ghandi. True country is ROOTS music. The same as Celtic, African, Bluegrass etc... Country music comes from certain, select instruments, played in a particular way, and it tells a story in a way that other music types don't. You can bend the rules some, but go too far and (for good or bad) it ceases to be country music. Just because it's sung with a southern accent, mentions a pickup truck or a trailer park, or has a fiddle line, it doesn't automatically qualify as country. I'm not saying it's good or bad music (although there's very little of it I like) it's just not country.

I've said this a hundred times in private, but I'm happy to say it here as well. When money becomes the sole object of the enterprise, then the money people will only accept a homogenized product. They want something they can sell to the largest group of people possible, and true country music doesn't appeal to the whole damn world. True country music speaks to a particular audience, one that is not large enough to satisfy the bean counters.

The folks in Nashville can call what they're peddling country all they like, but as my Grandmother was fond of saying; "Just because a cat has kittens in the stove, don't make 'em biscuits".
 
So...when exactly did the masses have great taste in music? I don't think something very average become very popular is a new phenomena, if my digging through the thrift store record sections has anything to tell me.
 
The music major music business (aka RIAA) is no longer about music, and is all about marketing... Taylor has had serious marketing with the ones that buy into the RIAA model.. Kids.... so she wins...
 
I think he was.... well, I HOPE he was.....

NO... I wasn't kidding.

Taylor Swift is a very talented and incredible young woman. If you know anything about her, you would agree. She isn't a by-product of big business. If you start categorizing and stereotyping things, people, music it just won't fit in a tidy little box. Take it for what it is. She's a teenager having fun and doing what see loves to do.
 
Oh yeah.. everything fotno said... commercial country music is not country... but this is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49GPHQ3YllA

BTW.. I just picked up a CD of these guys while we were out in WV a a town near where they live.. GOOD STUFF!

Now notice why these guys aren't performers of the year... no marketing, no glitz, and true country music that most people seldom get a chance to hear...
 
semi good looking girl, probably a sweet kid.....sorta talented I suppose..obviously been coached much more on histrionics and cliche than true musical interpretation..her "performances" all seem very forced and synthetic....might someday mature into an artist,but shes cranking out just what the public seems to want..all style, no substance pap...she offers nothing to me. I wonder if Billy Rae Cyrus is her father as well...
 
Not all music fits a stereotype, but some does. Country music is (by its very definition) NOT Urban music, rock or classical. Historically, it's the music of the common man (and to be more precise) the music of the southern common man. When Loretta Lynn wrote Coal Miners Daughter, she wasn't making it up off the top of her head, it was the story of her life, a life very similar to my own. When Dolly Parton wrote Coat of Many Colors, it was a story from her own childhood, a childhood she experienced less than a hundred miles from where I sit, typing this.

Country music is music about a people. Music that can (and often does) resonate with groups who live outside the region of country's birth, but that will never have the meaning that it does to those who've lived it. I take this wholesale abandonment of the roots of country very personally, because country music is MY music. It's the story of MY life, or rather it was. Now it's just the same as everything else. The stories of people I cannot relate to, in the way that I could relate to "Mama Tried" or "Long Black Veil".

Now people can argue that country has changed because the people who listen to it have changed, and to a point that's true. But I hear the folks around me talking about switching off their radios in ever greater numbers, simply because the music no longer speaks to them. There's room for the Taylor Swift's out there, but there's room for the next Merle Haggard or Hank Williams too. Problem is, you'd never know it listening to the CMA's or country radio.
 
May be showing my age here and sounding a bit like my Dad 30 years ago but I turned over to the CMA's last night and caught a performance of Taylor Swift and I just don't get it? She was throwing furniture off a set, tossing her hair back and forth while wearing what what appeared to be leather pants leather pants. Is this the new country? not too mention imho to have a very average voice. She won 3-4 awards Does she fits a certain age appeal or something>?

I don't get it either. I am not a fan of country, but if its older stuff thats "true" country, I can see the appeal and enjoy the instrumentation. New country is not country at all, it is based on it, but not it. A fiddle and an accent does not make a song instantly country. When I was at the local resale shop/record store (getting speakers) the owner asked what music I liked, to help figure what speakers would be best. I replied "everything except country" and he basically said that new country is pop and he wouldn't blame anyone for not liking it...and that I should try out older country to get a real taste of it.

I really dont get modern country, its all marketing.
 
My daughter loves her (8-years old). Miss Swift writes her own songs and was not "manufactured" like the Monkees or, say, the Sex Pistols. Is she country? No. Is her voice better than Lou Reed's, Bob Dylan's, or the cat from "Yes"? Yes. Pure pop music. Bubblegum - like Tommy James and the Shondells (for you old cats).

Her version of "Photograph" w/ Def Leppard shows her having some good clean fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh6WKvQaCK4

I'm all for letting this cute young lady have her fun. Just don't call it country.

Ken
 
Taylor Swift is a good pop star...decent voice, good stage presence, and writes all of her own music (a rarity for a pop star these days, and she's a decent writer of pop songs for her age). But she's not really "country" so I don't know why she was winning country music awards. All of the singles I've heard from her new album are like power-pop songs! She should just embrace that angle and ditch any of the country affectations.
 
Her version of "Photograph" w/ Def Leppard shows her having some good clean fun:


I'm all for letting this cute young lady have her fun. Just don't call it country.

Ken

I gotta agree with one of the comments on that video... I think this just ruined my day.... and I have to agree. Yep.. let her have her fun, and if others wanna pay to see and hear that more power to them.. but personally, she sounds like a good karaoke singer to me, not a professional singer..
 
My daughter loves her (8-years old). Miss Swift writes her own songs and was not "manufactured" like the Monkees or, say, the Sex Pistols. Is she country? No. Is her voice better than Lou Reed's, Bob Dylan's, or the cat from "Yes"? Yes. Pure pop music. Bubblegum - like Tommy James and the Shondells (for you old cats).

Her version of "Photograph" w/ Def Leppard shows her having some good clean fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh6WKvQaCK4

I'm all for letting this cute young lady have her fun. Just don't call it country.

Ken

Yes, my sentiments precisely!
 
Back
Top Bottom