• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Taylor Swift I just don't get it

Not all music fits a stereotype, but some does. Country music is (by its very definition) NOT Urban music, rock or classical. Historically, it's the music of the common man (and to be more precise) the music of the southern common man. When Loretta Lynn wrote Coal Miners Daughter, she wasn't making it up off the top of her head, it was the story of her life, a life very similar to my own. When Dolly Parton wrote Coat of Many Colors, it was a story from her own childhood, a childhood she experienced less than a hundred miles from where I sit, typing this.

Country music is music about a people. Music that can (and often does) resonate with groups who live outside the region of country's birth, but that will never have the meaning that it does to those who've lived it. I take this wholesale abandonment of the roots of country very personally, because country music is MY music. It's the story of MY life, or rather it was. Now it's just the same as everything else. The stories of people I cannot relate to, in the way that I could relate to "Mama Tried" or "Long Black Veil".

Now people can argue that country has changed because the people who listen to it have changed, and to a point that's true. But I hear the folks around me talking about switching off their radios in ever greater numbers, simply because the music no longer speaks to them. There's room for the Taylor Swift's out there, but there's room for the next Merle Haggard or Hank Williams too. Problem is, you'd never know it listening to the CMA's or country radio.

I disagree with your last paragrah. If there is no room for the next Merle or Hank, how do you explain the popularity AND album sales of Jamey Johnson? The CMA not only nominated Jamey for his work but, HE WON. I also think think the "Country, not Country " argument is a dumb, worn out argument. Listen to the music and pick out what you like and leave the rest alone. It is not all going to fit into one nice neat package.
 
My daughter loves her (8-years old). Miss Swift writes her own songs and was not "manufactured" like the Monkees or, say, the Sex Pistols. Is she country? No. Is her voice better than Lou Reed's, Bob Dylan's, or the cat from "Yes"? Yes. Pure pop music. Bubblegum - like Tommy James and the Shondells (for you old cats).

Her version of "Photograph" w/ Def Leppard shows her having some good clean fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh6WKvQaCK4

I'm all for letting this cute young lady have her fun. Just don't call it country.

Ken

Ken,
Good Post! +1
Regards,
Jim
 
Aren't there alternatives in the world of country to whatever the mainstream embraces? I know that in rock music, the Grammys have been a joke for as long as I can remember. Nobody outside of the majore label record industry or casual pop-music fans seems to care who wins or doesn't. It's just pop music, regardless of what they choose to call it. I imagine there are hundreds of small, independent country acts around just like there are in rock, that embrace the true roots of the music. I would almost think that the more the mainstream embraces people like Taylor Swift, that the more freedom the small labels have to do whatever they want as a sort of backlash. In indiet rock circles, I think some of the worst years were the early '90s when the mainstream briefly embraced it post-Grunge and the majors started to put their grubby mitts all over what could have been decent artists.
 
I grew up on country music & have seen many performers live throughout the years.Have been tuned out of country for a couple years. Didnt like what radio was playing & after watching last night I won"t be tuning back!
 
Aren't there alternatives in the world of country to whatever the mainstream embraces?...I imagine there are hundreds of small, independent country acts around just like there are in rock, that embrace the true roots of the music.

Yes, there are. Check out stuff by artists on labels like Lost Highway, Bloodshot, and Rounder. Some excellent modern country and roots music being put out on those labels. Nonesuch also puts out a few artists here and there that fit the bill, though it's more of a stylistically diverse, catch-all label of independent-minded artists than the others I mentioned.
 
Last edited:
Evidently the CMA and the fans decided she is country if she won the CMA entertainer of the year...
 
Last edited:
So... who said Talyor Swift was country in the first place and why do people automatically make that assumption?

I think it's a fair assumption to make since she just won several country music awards! The problem is, she shouldn't be nominated for those awards...she should be nominated for pop awards.
 
I disagree with your last paragrah. If there is no room for the next Merle or Hank, how do you explain the popularity AND album sales of Jamey Johnson? The CMA not only nominated Jamey for his work but, HE WON. I also think think the "Country, not Country " argument is a dumb, worn out argument. Listen to the music and pick out what you like and leave the rest alone. It is not all going to fit into one nice neat package.

I think you misunderstand the root of my point. The "Country, no Country" argument is valid, if only as a point of reference for why so many Country fans have abandoned "their own" music for something else. I don't stop at a doughnut shop for a T-Bone, or a Ford dealership for a Toyota. 90% of the time, modern Country radio doesn't sell what I am interested in buying.

20 years ago, I could have watched the CMA's and named every soul that stepped out on the stage before the announcer had a chance. I have no idea who Jamey Johnson is, because I can't stomach so much of what gets played on country radio, and I refuse to spend my time picking the flyspecks out of the pepper to find it. Now that I am aware of him (thank you very much), I'll seek him out; but it is a crying shame that I had to find out about him here instead of hearing him on my radio.
 
From a recent San Jose Mercury News interview with George Jones:

When asked about what he thought about the music being produced by today's top country stars, the 78-year-old said while they are good, "they've stolen our identity."

Artists like Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift, he said, "had to use something that was established already, and that's traditional country music. So what they need to do really, I think, is find their own title, because they're definitely not traditional country music," he said.

"It's good to know that we still do traditional country music. Alan Jackson still does it, so does George Strait. We still have it, and there's quite a few of us that are going to hope that it comes back one of these days."
 
I think it's a fair assumption to make since she just won several country music awards! The problem is, she shouldn't be nominated for those awards...she should be nominated for pop awards.

Taylor Swift's recording contract is with a Country record label (Big Machine). She is marketed to Country radio stations for airplay and considers what she does and sings, Country Music. Therefore, she is nominated (and wins) Country Music awards.
 
And to think our parents, and even a few of the members here were probably bitching just like we are, because all those kids started using electricity on their guitars, and banging on drums...

Times change, and so does the fabric...
 
I don't particularly love her music but I think she's smart. Or whoever is providing direction for her is.
I think classifications tend to stifle creativity. Let her explore rap, rock, pop, heavy metal if she wants to. More power to her.
 
No not country. Very talented, and she knows it. Nothing wrong with that at all.

She nailed her first appearance on SNL last spring, and came back last week to host, and do two songs. I thought she was a better than average in the skits she was in (with the exception of the criminals talking to the three laughing boys).
 
One of the few artisit out there who I would let me kids listen to. Nice girl. Smart. Writes her own music. She is as country as anyone else out there right now.

If she hadn't have won all those awards, who out of the nominees would have been more "country"?
 
I think many times people confuse popular with good. Taylor Swift is popular.

GOOD point...!!
Not my cup of tea, but to each there own. Listen to what you like and I will do the same....That said, New Popular Country for the most IMO...sucks. I'll stick to the Alt Country and or Classic Country scene...just me:smoke:
 
If she hadn't have won all those awards, who out of the nominees would have been more "country"?

Actually, no truer words have been spoken. The problem is a systemic one with the CMA and Nashville, not any individual artist. No one that wins a country music award these days is really going to be that rootsy anyways.
 
Back
Top Bottom