• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Teac AS-200S find and restoration

Might have only been available in Japan or might just be a prototype. Not much info out there on older TEA
Old post but… I don’t know about availability outside of Japan, but I don’t think there were many made through those years. My father worked for Teac in 67-78, while stationed in Japan in the USAF. He designed the front face of the AS-200 which persisted through the subsequent versions. He was always ticked that he didn’t put the headphone out on the main face instead of behind the control cover.

He had a twin reel to reel and phono system with a tuner, crossover and the AS-200 powering it. It was a big cabinet with tape and record storage below. He dubbed it “the Monolith.” Great memories. All that remains is the AS-200, which I own. He passed way in 2021. Wish he was still around, I could ask about it. Never thought to get details when I was younger.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0322.jpeg
    IMG_0322.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 16
The AS200S and AT200S tuners are very, very rare, with a build timeline of only around 3 maybe 4 months. Our amp has now been fully recapped and restored.
My father worked for Teac in 67-78, while stationed in Japan in the USAF. He designed the front face of the AS-200 which persisted through the subsequent versions.
That’s amazing! It’s a very clean and simple design which has stood the test of time.
He was always ticked that he didn’t put the headphone out on the main face instead of behind the control cover.
Well, he shouldn’t‘ve been; it’s exactly the correct place to put it, along with the other lesser used control. It was a genius move!
 
Last edited:
Old post but… I don’t know about availability outside of Japan, but I don’t think there were many made through those years. My father worked for Teac in 67-78, while stationed in Japan in the USAF. He designed the front face of the AS-200 which persisted through the subsequent versions. He was always ticked that he didn’t put the headphone out on the main face instead of behind the control cover.

He had a twin reel to reel and phono system with a tuner, crossover and the AS-200 powering it. It was a big cabinet with tape and record storage below. He dubbed it “the Monolith.” Great memories. All that remains is the AS-200, which I own. He passed way in 2021. Wish he was still around, I could ask about it. Never thought to get details when I was younger.
Thanks for sharing the history here! It’s rare to hear stories how these products are developed…I’m glad you still have your fathers amp I really think they are a sleeper in the vintage hifi world
 
Thanks for sharing the history here! It’s rare to hear stories how these products are developed…I’m glad you still have your fathers amp I really think they are a sleeper in the vintage hifi world
I wish I had the expertise to clean it up and update some components. It has been awhile since I’ve turned it on. I’d like to get it to, and keep it in good working condition, but last time I used it it had some scratchy pots and a low hiss that drifts in and out.
 
You can clean the controls yourself, there’s lots of good threads how to use contact cleaner etc on the pots otherwise hopefully you can find someone local that can refurb it for you one day and will last a lifetime
 
I posted a few months ago about my father's involvement with TEAC and the design of the AS-200. If anyone here is interested I'd like to part ways with this old receiver. I don't have the expertise to repair or restore the unit and would like it to go to a good home where it can be cared for and enjoyed. We're just looking at it here. It's a piece of nostalgia. I don't use it anymore. It hasn't been used in years but it was working the last time it was powered on. The only issue is that I think the capacitors are starting to cause a faint background whoosh to come in and out through the speakers, plus general contact cleaning. It has been kept in a home studio with guitars and other equipment, so no humidity issues or anything like that. Serious inquiries can start a conversation with me through my profile.

Just throwing it out there. I really don't know if I have the nerve to part with it but we'll see. My Pop gave it to me years and years ago. I used to use regularly it but it became impractical with the newer technology and surround sound, then it started needing more TLC, which I can't really do.
 
Given your Dad designed the facia, I don’t really understand why on earth you‘d want to sell it?
As I mentioned, it's not being used and I hate seeing a piece of equipment like this not being enjoyed except as an artifact or conversation piece. I'm not even sure I'll be able to part with it, but I'm just seeing if there is interest. Haven't quite made the decision yet. Checking for value feedback. I refuse to just list it on eBay, that's why I posted the note here, where I know some people care about these vintage receivers.
 
Here are some more pics. There are some markings on the top back of the case, but the sides look fine.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6278.jpeg
    IMG_6278.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6279.jpeg
    IMG_6279.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6280.jpeg
    IMG_6280.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6281.jpeg
    IMG_6281.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6282.jpeg
    IMG_6282.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6283.jpeg
    IMG_6283.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6275.jpeg
    IMG_6275.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6276.jpeg
    IMG_6276.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6277.jpeg
    IMG_6277.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6284.jpeg
    IMG_6284.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 15
The AS-200 is a sweet looking amp, and with a thorough service and regular operation could run trouble free for many years. I have the later as100 and I can attest that teac of this era is very special.
Yes times and equipment have changed, but for pure stereo enjoyment there is none better.
 
As I mentioned, it's not being used and I hate seeing a piece of equipment like this not being enjoyed except as an artifact or conversation piece. I'm not even sure I'll be able to part with it, but I'm just seeing if there is interest. Haven't quite made the decision yet. Checking for value feedback. I refuse to just list it on eBay, that's why I posted the note here, where I know some people care about these vintage receivers.
Hope you keep it and find a use for it one day special bit of history there
 
Back
Top Bottom