• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Teac TN-300 just say no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lico

Super Member
Teac TN-300 just say yes

So I keep waffling on whether to buy a new turntable (the Teac TN-300) or do a cartridge upgrade on one of my vintage units. Recently have been enjoying the heck out of a Yamaha P-550.

Then I see I can get the Teac + a nice set of headphones (ATH-M30x) on Amazon for $399.

So seriously, are these new turntables from Hanpin really that bad. I'll probably pull the trigger and find out for myself. If nothing else I'll get a decent set of headphones and another turntable to mess around with.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Teac TN300 is very good table for the price, I've been using it over five months and it is a solid performer. Try it for your self I think you will like it.
So many people on online forums says a lot of (bad/good)thing about the products they don't even tried it before, I do like to hear what people says but I only trust my ears.

My original post of Teac TN 300.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=631952
 
Last edited:
Thanks. Got one on the way now as I speak (light wood)... I'll trust my ears as well. That's what it is all about.
 
That's a nice-looking turntable. It's a pity that the wow and flutter spec is so poor, though. Many people, including me, would have no trouble hearing 0.2% on the right kind of music and would find it objectionable.
 
That's a nice-looking turntable. It's a pity that the wow and flutter spec is so poor, though. Many people, including me, would have no trouble hearing 0.2% on the right kind of music and would find it objectionable.

But you haven't use the table so you can't say whether the w/f is audible, it is possible the w/f is NOT audible and possible it is. You would need to actually use it to know.
 
But you haven't use the table so you can't say whether the w/f is audible, it is possible the w/f is NOT audible and possible it is. You would need to actually use it to know.

I've heard a lot of turntables in my 41 years in the audio hobby -- enough of them to know that my detection threshold for wow and flutter is in the 0.08-0.10% range on piano or solo oboe music. I'm quite confident that I would hear the Teac's 0.2% W&F if I auditioned the thing and would find it objectionable.
 
While .2% isn't impressive, it's usefulness is suspect because we don't know how the wow and flutter measurements are weighed relative to each other. Is the .2% an average? a sum of the two? or what? At what frequencies did they do their measurements? Is .2% a best case or worse case specification?

I think I'll reserve judgement until I actually hear one.
 
Teak TN-300, I'll say hell NO! The OP has already ordered it but fortunately most online sellers have a return policy that the OP can quickly take advantage of. The wiser move would of been to devote some or all of the money wasted on the Teak TN-300 on a cartridge, phono pre or other more rewarding and beneficial audio upgrade to his vintage Yamaha P-550 turntable system. As the OP will find out the Hanpin/China made Teak TN-300 will be a lateral move at absolute best and the more likly prospect is a step backwards in turntable performance. Look at it a different way, the OP just purchased a set of headphones for $399 with a low value turntable thrown in.
 
Last edited:
I see the W & F gang has made their appearance. Another thread rides off into the abyss of Hanpin hating and rude comments.

To the OP, enjoy your new table.
 
To the OP, enjoy your new table.

My first turntable was a joke compared to what currently use. I am very thankful for the insensitive people who set me straight. Currently enjoying the fruits of my research based on cold hard facts. :finger:
 
Thanks fellas, can't wait to get it. I'll use my phone's RPM calculator to see how much speed variation it really has. If my ears start ringing, I'll know I am in trouble :D

Based on the purported speed variation spec of the "Teak" (2%), I'd expect to see anywhere from 32.6 up to 33.9 RPM as the platter spins. If that is the case of course it goes back, but I really doubt that will be the case.

My Yamaha sits at 33.4 pretty solid with an occasional blip to 33.5 with the strobe locked on pretty tight.
 
My first turntable was a joke compared to what currently use. I am very thankful for the insensitive people who set me straight. Currently enjoying the fruits of my research based on cold hard facts. :finger:

Well hard facts are hearing for yourself. Facts trump opinion every time:thmbsp:
 
why take a chance...there are a zillion tables out there...

Agree and I have a lot of them. Now, at the price point there aren't a lot of new tables out there with specs much better. So why not try one?

Similar argument has occurred with speakers and I used to be a vintage speaker or else kind of guy. Until I actually bought some new speakers.
 
why take a chance...there are a zillion tables out there...

Agree and I have a lot of them. Now, at the price point there aren't a lot of new tables out there with specs much better. So why not try one?

Similar argument has occurred with speakers and I used to be a vintage speaker or else kind of guy. Until I actually bought some new speakers.

Hurray, Someone with a open mind. There is good new, good vintage, bad new and bad vintage.

Enjoy your new Teac
 
Last edited:
I see the W & F gang has made their appearance. Another thread rides off into the abyss of Hanpin hating and rude comments.

To the OP, enjoy your new table.

Yes they always make sure W & F is heard properly but I don't know why Teac engineers can't hear that, I'm sure engineers from maker of Esoteric audio products know how to design a turntable.

No matter what hanpin is one of the world biggest tt manufacturer and they can build any level of turntable if they get paid for it may be even better than boutique brands that charge arms and leg for a table.

To OP, enjoy the table speed should be within the spec. There is also speed adjustment at bottom of the table FYI.
 
Looking forward to reading your listening impressions.

Sadly, I have never been able to get my slide rule to listen to music with me. It's missing something, but I can't tell it that, it won't listen. Same with my calculator.

They're very useful, like the brain is, but not not meant for guidance purposes, like the heart.

I listen to music on my equipment, instead of using music to listen to my equipment. But if anyone prefers to listen to their equipment, fine with me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom