• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Teac TN-300 just say no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they always make sure W & F is heard properly but I don't know why Teac engineers can't hear that, I'm sure engineers from maker of Esoteric audio products know how to design a turntable.

No matter what hanpin is one of the world biggest tt manufacturer and they can build any level of turntable if they get paid for it may be even better than boutique brands that charge arms and leg for a table.

To OP, enjoy the table speed should be within the spec. There is also speed adjustment at bottom of the table FYI.

I doubt that Teac's engineers got to apply their expertise in this product. More likely the marketing department worked with Hanpin to style and badge a standard OEM product to meet a price point.
 
Obviously the $399 isn't some respondents money so it's easy to encourage the OP to spend his money on a table that wont be any advance over what he already has. Like anything else at a certain price point you can only expect so much and these days new $500 or less turntables aren't able to deliver $1,000 or more of performance no matter who makes it. Companies like Teak, Denon Audio Technica go to Hanpin to have turntables built to a competitive price point and still leave them room for a healthy profit without any investment in r&d, paying employees, material and tooling etc with the only outlay of cash for advertising.
 
Quit true, although, to be fair, back in the heyday CEC made turntables for many top brands. Specs rather better, admittedly.
 
Forgot to mention one thing, nobody knows for sure that Teac TN300 is made by Hanpin. Too many factories in Taiwan can build this kind low tech equipment easily.

Btw: I'm opening up my TN-300 soon to make some modification. I will let you guys know what I see inside.
 
I'm happy to hear someone wants to crack open their Teac to see who made it and possibly dispel any ugly Hanpin manufacturing rumors :). I think those pesky Hanpin guys are worried though.

My Teac(K) is apparently hung up in shipping, I will have to wait and take a look.
 
There's an iphone and android app that will do that for you. Platter speed is the name, I think. You'll need a 3150hz test tone
 
OK. So found a Stereo Review test record with 3000 Hz tone. Downloaded the Platter speed app. Have been measuring the 3000 Hz on my phone tonight. Seeing about 0.2% speed deviation with my Yamaha P-550 with this test record. When I get my Teac we'll see how it does :)
 
Update. I think that platter speed app is kind of wonky. Using the PC program I've referenced I am able to get more accurate readings on my Yamaha that make more sense to me. I've measured my Yamaha P-550 at 0.03% RMS speed variation and have it dialed in where I get repeatable results. I'll be measuring the Teac as well, plus a lot of other turntables in my stash. If vintage turntables prove to be significantly better then I have way to measure. Something like this would be a good idea for a thread... post a pic of your turntable and show me the measurements instead of relying on spec sheets 40 years ago or today. We'll see how it goes.
 
Why do you think the platter speed app is wonky? It's used on various websites, including Fremer's.

One thing: the app is quite specific that 3150hz is the frequency you must use.

I'll run a check on my turntable today and see how it pans out.
 
Why do you think the platter speed app is wonky? It's used on various websites, including Fremer's.

One thing: the app is quite specific that 3150hz is the frequency you must use.

I'll run a check on my turntable today and see how it pans out.

I only have a 3000 Hz test record. If you don't use 3150 the RPM calculation will be off. But the speed measurement at 3000 Hz works. The reported variations on it are higher than using the PC app - I think it could be my phones microphone or positioning when I am trying it. Hard to say. All the apps are only to be as good as a phone's or PC clock when measuring frequency I think. Think I'll try running the analog out from a preamp directly into a line in the PC too.

My Technics SL-5200 measured slightly better than the Yamaha P-550. RMS variation in the 0.02% range. I plan on running a few more vintage tables and then the new Teac to see if the Teac is out of family , or just spec'd poorly in the manual. That's all I am after.
 
Forgot to mention one thing, nobody knows for sure that Teac TN300 is made by Hanpin. Too many factories in Taiwan can build this kind low tech equipment easily.

Btw: I'm opening up my TN-300 soon to make some modification. I will let you guys know what I see inside.

Any updates on this?

Meanwhile I have dialed in my W&F measurement method a bit, so I can assess my Teac when it arrives. If the naysayers are right, I'll be the first to report. My table had a mixup in shipping/availability - now due to get a Cherry one next week instead of the light wood.

To measure W&F I use the aforementioned software and connect a turntable to a Behringer UFO 202 preamp (USB to the PC). I dial in the speed as best I can, pop on the Stereo Review test disk, a play the track. Visually monitor the reported max RMS value over a 10 second interval by the software.

Some numbers

Yamaha P-550, best average is 0.037%, spec'ed at 0.015% per owners manual

Technics SL-5200, best average is 0.028%, spec'ed at 0.025%

Pioneer PL-51A, best average is 0.064%, spec'ed at 0.06%

The numbers I am seeing are making some sense per the original vendor specs, except for the Yamaha which probably over spec'ed or mine has aged a bit :)

Can't wait to get my Teac and measure 0.2%. We'll see!
 
Any updates on this?

Meanwhile I have dialed in my W&F measurement method a bit, so I can assess my Teac when it arrives. If the naysayers are right, I'll be the first to report. My table had a mixup in shipping/availability - now due to get a Cherry one next week instead of the light wood.

To measure W&F I use the aforementioned software and connect a turntable to a Behringer UFO 202 preamp (USB to the PC). I dial in the speed as best I can, pop on the Stereo Review test disk, a play the track. Visually monitor the reported max RMS value over a 10 second interval by the software.

Some numbers

Yamaha P-550, best average is 0.037%, spec'ed at 0.015% per owners manual

Technics SL-5200, best average is 0.028%, spec'ed at 0.025%

Pioneer PL-51A, best average is 0.064%, spec'ed at 0.06%

The numbers I am seeing are making some sense per the original vendor specs, except for the Yamaha which probably over spec'ed or mine has aged a bit :)

Can't wait to get my Teac and measure 0.2%. We'll see!

I've got the non quartz-locked automatic version of the SL-5200, the SL-3300 and using the strobe over a one minute period it shifts one and a bit lines that equal about .028% speed drift using this formula. It is spec'ed at .03% wrms.

DRIFT IN PERCENT = (#ICONS DRIFT PER MIN / 3600) X 100
 
Cool, think I am in ballpark on test method. The SL-5200 is a nice deck, I'm sure the SL-3300 is too. Too bad you can't buy one new these days.
 
Cool, think I am in ballpark on test method. The SL-5200 is a nice deck, I'm sure the SL-3300 is too. Too bad you can't buy one new these days.
It must be nice having quartz lock not having to futz around with pitch control every couple of albums.:D
 
Update: Got the Teac.

Quick impressions:

Nice looking turntable, lighter than I expected, fit and finish is great, arm feels good enough to me when I use it. Easy deck to use. The rubber on the arm rest could be better - for smoother arm "slide out" to a track on a record.

Not crazy about the AT95 cartridge with this table. Swapped in my AT440 MLA, sounds much better now. The AT95 doesn't have the AT "signature" sound I like, and sounds worse than a AT92E to me. Not sure the AT95 is the best match for this arm, but will try it on other decks. Will probably get another headshell to try something else. The Teac headshell is same as Denon DP-300F.

Now about wow and flutter. This is a belt drive turntable with no absolute speed control or servo. So yes... play a 3000 Hz test record and you won't see exactly 3000 Hz. In my case - about 3030, or 1% fast. The RMS variation however is much better than the specs. I'm measuring about 0.06% RMS instead of 0.2% RMS like the specs say. I took a lot of my old tables and tried the same test. The Teac can't compete with a direct drive of course, but beat an old Technics belt drive BD-3 with better specs.

Paging Dr. Tinear...

Turntable/Spec/Measured

Technics SL-5200 0.025 0.028
Onkyo CP-1046F 0.025 0.037
Yamaha P-550 0.015 0.037
Technis SL-Q200 0.012 0.038
MCS 6700 0.04 0.041
Technics SL-5 0.025 0.061
Teac TN-300 0.2 0.063
Pioneer PL-51A 0.06 0.064
Technics BD-3 0.045 0.076
 

Attachments

  • 20150505_201732.jpg
    20150505_201732.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 86
Nice, I want :)

Update: Got the Teac.

Quick impressions:

Nice looking turntable, lighter than I expected, fit and finish is great, arm feels good enough to me when I use it. Easy deck to use. The rubber on the arm rest could be better - for smoother arm "slide out" to a track on a record.

Not crazy about the AT95 cartridge with this table. Swapped in my AT440 MLA, sounds much better now. The AT95 doesn't have the AT "signature" sound I like, and sounds worse than a AT92E to me. Not sure the AT95 is the best match for this arm, but will try it on other decks. Will probably get another headshell to try something else. The Teac headshell is same as Denon DP-300F.

Now about wow and flutter. This is a belt drive turntable with no absolute speed control or servo. So yes... play a 3000 Hz test record and you won't see exactly 3000 Hz. In my case - about 3030, or 1% fast. The RMS variation however is much better than the specs. I'm measuring about 0.06% RMS instead of 0.2% RMS like the specs say. I took a lot of my old tables and tried the same test. The Teac can't compete with a direct drive of course, but beat an old Technics belt drive BD-3 with better specs.

Paging Dr. Tinear...

Turntable/Spec/Measured

Technics SL-5200 0.025 0.028
Onkyo CP-1046F 0.025 0.037
Yamaha P-550 0.015 0.037
Technis SL-Q200 0.012 0.038
MCS 6700 0.04 0.041
Technics SL-5 0.025 0.061
Teac TN-300 0.2 0.063
Pioneer PL-51A 0.06 0.064
Technics BD-3 0.045 0.076
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom