• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics 205 Receiver problem

buckeye56

Active Member
Hi. New here. My receiver is from 1982. When I plug in the jack for the turntable, I either have to wobble it a bit to get any sound from the turntable, or no sound comes out at all. And when I recently tried to use the radio to check the speakers (EPI 100), sound only comes out of one. I swapped the configuration and inserted wires for both into the remote plugs. Again, only one speaker. Then I switched the wires to make sure both speakers work and they do. How can an entire half of my receiver not work? And is it worth the $$ to try to have it fixed, or is there a very reasonably priced receiver with a phone jack that you'd recommend? I have seen good reviews for this one:
Onkyo TX-8020 Stereo Receiver

Feedback? Thoughts? Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
That may help get some grime off of the surface, but it won't help with dirty switches and potentiometers, the likely cause of what you're experiencing. I'd go with the deoxit, as it's a proven product for this purpose, but alcohol shouldn't hurt anything. Just don't douse it, and make sure it's evaporated and dry before firing it up.
 
That may help get some grime off of the surface, but it won't help with dirty switches and potentiometers, the likely cause of what you're experiencing. I'd go with the deoxit, as it's a proven product for this purpose, but alcohol shouldn't hurt anything. Just don't douse it, and make sure it's evaporated and dry before firing it up.
Thanks for your help. A bit nervous about opening up my receiver.
 
If it is the Technics SA-205, I have one of those. It's a nice little unit but if I was having issues with it like you describe I would certainly consider replacing it.

How does the headphone output sound - do you have a dead channel there too ? You could concentrate your cleaning on the balance control as this is often the culprit, as are the speaker selection switches and volume control. If you do squirt any cleaner into any of the switches or controls, make sure you really work them back and forth multiple times. Just spraying and leaving it won't do much.

You don't have to be nervous about opening up the unit. Make sure it is unplugged from the mains before you do anything. The insides are relatively safe, just use some cleaner on the areas we have suggested.

I'm all for fixing stuff where ever possible, but there's not much about that receiver to recommend a repair if one is needed. It uses a 'chip' amplifier - in other words, lots of components all hidden inside a lump of plastic that cannot be opened. If this has failed, they can be found and replaced but they are not common and require a pretty good level of soldering skill as there are 16 pins to work on. It could be other components too, all of which will have different costs to replace either DIY or by a qualified technician.
 
If it is the Technics SA-205, I have one of those. It's a nice little unit but if I was having issues with it like you describe I would certainly consider replacing it.

How does the headphone output sound - do you have a dead channel there too ? You could concentrate your cleaning on the balance control as this is often the culprit, as are the speaker selection switches and volume control. If you do squirt any cleaner into any of the switches or controls, make sure you really work them back and forth multiple times. Just spraying and leaving it won't do much.

You don't have to be nervous about opening up the unit. Make sure it is unplugged from the mains before you do anything. The insides are relatively safe, just use some cleaner on the areas we have suggested.

I'm all for fixing stuff where ever possible, but there's not much about that receiver to recommend a repair if one is needed. It uses a 'chip' amplifier - in other words, lots of components all hidden inside a lump of plastic that cannot be opened. If this has failed, they can be found and replaced but they are not common and require a pretty good level of soldering skill as there are 16 pins to work on. It could be other components too, all of which will have different costs to replace either DIY or by a qualified technician.

YES, it's the SA-205! I just tried using my headphones, and sound only comes out of one side. So nice to find someone else with the same receiver. I also have the Technics SI D-35 Direct Drive Turntable. It needs a new needle and I don't know what an equivalent replacement is. Yes, my equipment is old, but I like it and would like to salvage it if possible. And I love my EPI 100 speakers. Thank you.
 
I have a Technics SL-QL1 turntable and I like that a lot. The SA-205 is not my main receiver - in fact, it belongs to a friend. I know you might like the unit but you could do MUCH better if you do some Craigslist or auction site hunting. If you're not really a DIY person, you may be better looking to newer units - you can get awesome bargains in the used home theatre receiver market. Many people don't really favour them for two channel stereo but a decent one would be a massive upgrade on your little 205.
 
By the way - why not pop over to the members' area and introduce yourself. Tell us a bit about your system and the kind of music you like.
 
By the way - why not pop over to the members' area and introduce yourself. Tell us a bit about your system and the kind of music you like.
Thanks for all of your help. Yes, stylus, not needle, lol! This should tell you everything you'd need to know about me.
By the way - why not pop over to the members' area and introduce yourself. Tell us a bit about your system and the kind of music you like.
 
I spent all day Saturday "cleaning" my Technics receiver. Lol, 35 years of dust inside. Now both speakers work, but the left side of the receiver is burning hot on the underside. Is this normal? It's not something I ever noticed before because I never really needed to lift it up. It's like when you put your "laptop" computer on your lab and it gets hot. Additionally, I just noticed that there's a bit of a problem with my stylus. Looks like it's missing! I have no clue how this happened, so now I need one that will work with my turntable (Technics SL-D35 Direct Drive). Anyone know a reputable place to purchase a compatible one? Thank you.
 

Attachments

  • dusty receiver copy.jpg
    dusty receiver copy.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 33
  • dusty receiver.jpg
    dusty receiver.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 33
  • cleaned receiver.jpg
    cleaned receiver.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20170528_150908.jpg
    20170528_150908.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 26
  • stylus2.jpg
    stylus2.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Receivers and amps will get warm on the bottom side due to the power supply. Hot hot is hot? If it burns your fingers that's a problem, if it's just warm I would say that's normal. Audio Technica makes some very reasonable priced stylus' for your Technics. As for where to buy one? eBay has a pretty good selection, but I'm sure someone here that can offer other ideas. Good luck! Nice cleaning job btw
 
Receivers and amps will get warm on the bottom side due to the power supply. Hot hot is hot? If it burns your fingers that's a problem, if it's just warm I would say that's normal. Audio Technica makes some very reasonable priced stylus' for your Technics. As for where to buy one? eBay has a pretty good selection, but I'm sure someone here that can offer other ideas. Good luck! Nice cleaning job btw
The left underside was burning hot yesterday. I'll check it again today, and a very carefully maneuvered vacuum cleaner with a long nozzle can do wonders for that amount of dust!
 
Hi. I've gotten so much helpful info. on this forum since joining recently. Greatly appreciated. Can you humor me again, please, maybe?

So I just "cleaned" my old Technics SA 205 receiver, which has ports for a tape deck (don't own one anymore) and an "aux" that, according to the infor. brochure, is for hooking up an 8 track player (nope, don't own one).

I have a bunch of CDs that I want to listen to, but my Sony DVD/CD player is hooked to my TV, naturally, and I'd love to hook it to my receiver instead so that the music comes out of my old EPI speakers rather than my TV speakers. I can watch DVDs via my son's PS4.

Is this even possible without having to buy extra cables or other stuff that I won't know how to use anyhow? Can I just plug into the aux port, set the dial on tape and go?
Thanks

PS--how do you start a new conversation without having to tag anyone?
 
Last edited:
Of course you can use your DVD/CD player on your receiver. Just take the left & right audio output jacks (usually red and white) from your DVD/CD player and plug them into the AUX jacks on your Technics. Don't push the tape or monitor button, but rather the AUX button or selector.

If you know your remote control by heart, then you won't need to have your tv or monitor turned on to see the track listings.

PS, to start a new conversation with someone, just go to your "inbox" and click on, "Start a new Conversation". You can put in a single name or multiple individuals.
 
Last edited:
OK, so I cleaned out my receiver, bought a new stylus for my turntable, installed it correctly, but there is still no sound that comes from my left speaker when I use my turntable. It's the same problem I had before cleaning everything and getting a new stylus. I even removed my old red and white cables and put in new black and red cables (correctly) in the same places. Both speakers work with the radio. What could be the problem? Thks. In the meantime, happily listening to Doobie Bros. in mono, but would prefer stereo.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom