• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics = Pioneer?

parman

Music Junkie
Subscriber
I got a good one for you guys. Last Sat. night we had some people over and some of us went down to the basement. One of the women noticed a TT I've been working on setting on a table and wanted to know if I was fixing it. I told her I was trying but hadn't had any luck yet. She said she had a TT at home in a closet but it didn't work. I told her my working stereo gear was in another room and we went to look at it (one of the few people who has ever expressed any iterest)The first thing she spotted was a Technics 5100 TT and she told me she really likes Technics gear because it's made by the same company that makes Pioneer :saywhat:. I told her I didn't know that and thanks for the info . :worried:
 
Register to hide this ad
Also, when it comes to turntables, JVC made a LOT of them that got rebranded and sold under just about any name.
 
Panasonic, not Pioneer.

Yes, I think she was confusing PIONEER with Panasonic. But of course there were many subcontractors working for big companies. These subcontractors sometimes maybe built units for competing companies too, but "Technics is not the same as PIONEER"
 
Last edited:
Here in my neck of the woods a lot of people thought Technics was made by Pioneer. i never understood how that rumor got started.
 
I got a good one for you guys. Last Sat. night we had some people over and some of us went down to the basement. One of the women noticed a TT I've been working on setting on a table and wanted to know if I was fixing it. I told her I was trying but hadn't had any luck yet. She said she had a TT at home in a closet but it didn't work. I told her my working stereo gear was in another room and we went to look at it (one of the few people who has ever expressed any iterest)The first thing she spotted was a Technics 5100 TT and she told me she really likes Technics gear because it's made by the same company that makes Pioneer :saywhat:. I told her I didn't know that and thanks for the info . :worried:

Hey, at least she was interested in the gear.

It's been an amazing evolution in my lifetime. When I was young, our stereo systems were the central focus of our lives and everybody wanted to see what kind of system you had.

Seems today that people are completly oblivious to hi-fi equipment.


:music:Will
 
No guys I don't think she was confusing Pioneer with Panasonic I think she thought Technics was top of the line equipment that rivaled Pioneer. But she was the only person in the house that even considered looking at stereo gear so I'll give her that.
 
(one of the few people who has ever expressed any iterest):

We are marginal and I know it

'' Why do you keep piling up those old stereos ? '' they say.

'' Ahh, never mind, you wouldn'd understand !'' I say
 
At best, they are corporate assocations anyway, although it's nice to see Pioneer making use of at least one TAD designer. The TEAC/TASCAM/Esoteric thing seems to be more a case of three entities operating at arm's length, despite the fervent wishes of some TEAC owners. Bit like walking into a Volkswagen dealer and hoping to drive out in a Porsche or, better yet, a Veyron .....

Bugatti-Veyron-Super729-620x349.jpg


Sure - under the hood, this is exactly the same as your 2009 Golf GTi :D
 
What I've saw most from pioneer in other brand's electronics are there small speakers (3-4 inches diam) chosen for units like table radios and alarm clock radios, portable phonos. I believe I still have some... packed somewhere. I remember they've sounded better then average.
 
For some strange reason some people around the central valley of California thought Technics was a cheaper line of equipment produced by Pioneer for folks who couldn't afford Pioneer. After a time I just gave up trying to explain Panasonic was the "baby daddy". :D
 
I'm cool with people not recognizing Technics. Of course, I live in a teeming hive of scum and villainy so it's good to be able to say --

"Oh this Technics, it's just an old piece of junk from Goodwill. There is absolutely nothing of value in my apartment move along. You should see the 60-inch flat screen that the neighbor down the road has. He doesn't even draw the blinds."
 
Dude, you got a woman to come look at your stereo? That hasn't happened to me since... well, okay it was two years ago, but she was REALLY cool, and I was pretty happy :)
 
Here in my neck of the woods a lot of people thought Technics was made by Pioneer. i never understood how that rumor got started.

I think most of it is faulty memory.

In the early 70s You would see all kinds of radios and small home stereos that said Technics by Panasonic on the front of the equipment. Then later Technics started selling higher end gear that would be displayed alongside gear such as JVC and Pioneer without any reference to Panasonic on it's nameplate.

I think it's easy for people to get some names mixed up from time to time, I know I do. :D

EDIT: Just noticed this is a SA model. Pioneer has a whole slew of models with the SA designation. That probably does not help with all the confusion. :tongue:

396478-technics_by_panasonic_sa_5360_receiver_vintage.jpg
 
Last edited:
Yes, but Pioneer used the prefix "SA" for some amplifiers, whereas Matsushita (under their brand names Technics, National, National Panasonic and Panasonic) termed their receivers with "SA".

Once again: Technics and Pioneer are brand names from different companies and only have in common that they are labels for hifi gear coming from companies sitting in Japan.
 
I'm cool with people not recognizing Technics. Of course, I live in a teeming hive of scum and villainy so it's good to be able to say --

"Oh this Technics, it's just an old piece of junk from Goodwill. There is absolutely nothing of value in my apartment move along. You should see the 60-inch flat screen that the neighbor down the road has. He doesn't even draw the blinds."

I have a friend I've known since high school who bought a Technics system. He still has it. I ask him from time to time if he would sell me the integrated amp. It sounds good and I really like how it looks as well. But even after all these years he won't sell it. :D
 
Back
Top Bottom