• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SA-5760 Capacitor help

The1thinker

New Member
Hello, I received two powerful amps for FREE. Yes, FREE. My dad gave me them and he would let me keep both if I can get them working. One is a Marantz 2325 with one of the channels not producing sound. The other is a Technics SA-5760. One of the main caps have blown and I need to find a replacement. I will leave the 2325 for another time as it will need further work. I believe that they are 22,000 uF caps (please correct me if I'm wrong) Would I have to look up the exact part number? And where is a good place to order them from? If you want pictures, I could get some.

Thanks in advance,
Dan
 
Register to hide this ad
mouser or Digikey is a great place to get the caps. Make sure you get the same or a little greater voltage cap. Also, double check whether you have screw or soldered terminals, and get the same.
 
mouser or Digikey is a great place to get the caps. Make sure you get the same or a little greater voltage cap. Also, double check whether you have screw or soldered terminals, and get the same.
Ok, I'll take a look. They are solder terminals.
 
I did a total restoration on a SA-5760. The space constraints for the two main caps is really tight. Here is that I used for a perfect fit:

Epcos B41456B9229M
22,000uF 100v 64.3mm x 105.7mm x 28.5LS
Allied 70102699
Mouser 871-B41456B9229M
Digikey 495-4228-ND

These caps are not cheap, but they fit.
 
The1thinker, I was wondering if you ever replaced the caps? If so what route did you go? I just acquired one and one of the main caps has a pin hole in the bottom of it that has spewed out black goo everywhere. I'm surprised that it still makes music. deltalight, was it a challenge to change it from soldered leads to screw on? Thanks a bunch.
 
Hello tiretwister. Welcome to AK. Check out HiFi Engine.com for the Service Manual. Looks like a good one, parts list, schematic, PCB layout. Makes it easier to do the work. Good luck with the unit. Given the main caps are starting to go, check out the rest of the electrolytic caps to replace.
 
Thanks for the replies and the welcome, although I've been here for years, just don't post much. I've looked over the manual, I may buy one as the one here has a bunch of blacked out areas. I'm still in the process of cleaning and inspecting it (it is quite dusty and dirty) but so far no other obvious bad things. The Epcos B41456B9229M are the ones I'm gonna go with, not sure how to switch it from soldered connections to screw on. That's what I was looking for some guidance on. Got to get the 90/90DB and the 2285B off the bench before I can really tear into it.
 
Back
Top Bottom