• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL-1600 mk2 IC chips?

Kegr

New Member
Greetings,

I purchased a used Technics SL-1600 mk2 and upon arrival the turntable lights up when the power is turned on but the turntable does not spin. I took it to a local repair center and they stated that they believe it is one of the IC chips on the main board that may be bad. The control chip is labeled “Technics AN6680 03” with a small line under the 3. The text for the chip label on my unit is white.

I have found chips labeled AN6680 but without the “03” available online but it typically says these are chips for the SL-1200 and the text on the chip is yellow.

Would these online AN6680 chips be compatible with an SL-1600 mk2?

I had also read on the vinylengine.com boards that the problem may be a bad AN6675 chip. Were the AN6675 chips used on the SL-1600 mk2 interchangeable with those used on the SL-1200 mk2?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
 
Register to hide this ad
I have found chips labeled AN6680 but without the “03” available online but it typically says these are chips for the SL-1200 and the text on the chip is yellow. Would these online AN6680 chips be compatible with an SL-1600 mk2?
Welcome to AK!

Both Mk-II service manuals just refer to it as "AN6675" and "AN6680" and do not differentiate between revisions and production runs, which are the other suffixes of the IC's designation. Those are the same IC's used in those tables.
 
Ah, those feely things.... the later P mount tables had them

They're not so much "feely" as they are "seely". There is a beacon of sorts mounted on the rear of the deck that looks for them.

DSCF3232-1024x768.jpg

DSCF3248-1024x768.jpg
 
Why? I mean....why? What purpose does this serve? Anyone too dumb to know if they have a 7" or a 12" record on the platter, or no record at all, shouldn't be operating such a complicated device and should stick to pounding rocks together.
 
Greetings,

I purchased a used Technics SL-1600 mk2 and upon arrival the turntable lights up when the power is turned on but the turntable does not spin. I took it to a local repair center and they stated that they believe it is one of the IC chips on the main board that may be bad. The control chip is labeled “Technics AN6680 03” with a small line under the 3. The text for the chip label on my unit is white.

I have found chips labeled AN6680 but without the “03” available online but it typically says these are chips for the SL-1200 and the text on the chip is yellow.

Would these online AN6680 chips be compatible with an SL-1600 mk2?

I had also read on the vinylengine.com boards that the problem may be a bad AN6675 chip. Were the AN6675 chips used on the SL-1600 mk2 interchangeable with those used on the SL-1200 mk2?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Kegr,

I have a SL-1600 Mk2. When I got the turntable, it had similar issues to yours. You need to find someone to repair this turntable that has experience with them. I had mine repaired and refurbished at the same time. The problem with mine wound up being a bad voltage regulator on the main control board. It was preventing most of the automatic functions from working. PM me of you want the contact info for the fellow who fixed mine. He did great work, I had it done 5 years ago and it still works perfectly.
 
Kegr,

I have a SL-1600 Mk2. When I got the turntable, it had similar issues to yours. You need to find someone to repair this turntable that has experience with them. I had mine repaired and refurbished at the same time. The problem with mine wound up being a bad voltage regulator on the main control board. It was preventing most of the automatic functions from working. PM me of you want the contact info for the fellow who fixed mine. He did great work, I had it done 5 years ago and it still works perfectly.
I would like to know who this person is and get a contact number, I have almost given up finding anyone who will touch mine.
 
Hi losthorizon,

It's been a while, but the fellow that repaired my SL-1600 Mk2 way back in 2013 was Scott Thompson. I sent the rest of the contact info via PM.

I last talked to him in 2018 - he was still working on Technics TT's then.

Good luck!
 
Last edited:
It's not a good idea to post someone's email/phone number on a public forum. The net is constantly scanned by criminal/scammers for that info.
You should delete your post and send the info to the guy via private message.
(At least that used to be the way it was. I admit to being out of date on alot of internet stuff.)
 
Back
Top Bottom