• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL-D1 or Dual 604

So, the vm95ml cartridge finally arrived. I was able to align it using an arc protractor from https://alignmentprotractor.com/accurate-arc-protractors. The only issue I'm having is that I can't seem to get enough counterweight to balance the arm. Should I tape something on to the counterweight to make it heavier? For now, I have the weight all the way back, as far as it will go. I thought I could go further, but it seems to stop turning. Can I keep turning until the weight comes off?
I guess I'll have to buy a stylus scale. Hopefully I'm at or below 2g
 
Best practice in this situation is to add a metal washer at the back of the counterweight. There's usually a hole in the counterweight at the back, that may be threaded to accept a bolt.
 
Well, I've had all weekend (long weekend here) to play around with the dual 604 and vm95ml cartridge. I used an arc protractor based on Baerwald method. And used a tracking force scale. BTW, I notice this cartridge tracks heavy compared to others. I have it set to manufacturer recommended 2g. The tt seems to hold the speed according to strobes, so I'm not lubricating anything for now. I just want to listen to some of my old and new vinyl records. I also used a record washer to clean my old vinyls.
I have read to allow the cart to break-in. So I tried to listen for any differences from my first album (side) to my 10th. Not sure if I really noticed any difference? But to me the sound is really good. Vocals are centered. I can hear left and right channel separations. I can hear highs clearly such as drum hi-hats. Bass is also great to my subs. Sound overall is not muffled? Which, obviously, I don't want. And no distortion as far as I can tell. My old albums sound great. I'm surprised it doesn't crackle and pop as much as I thought it would. Maybe because I washed them. There are no issues according to my (not too discerning) ears. And I don't have high end equipment anyways. Bottom line is I'm really happy with this cartridge and turntable. Thank you for everyone's input. And sorry I couldn't give a more detailed, audiophile knowledge, review.
 
Last edited:
Woohoo! You have a really nice vinyl setup now - you aren't at state of the art but you can see it from there. Glad it worked out. Audiophile assessments aren't anywhere close to as valuable as being able to say "I love the sound".

Carts don't need much break-in in my experience. 2g isn't at all bad but I thought that cartridge was .75-1.5g tracking. Wet the heck out of the record to clean it and play it wet if you want - it will moderate the clicks and pops without bad effect on the sound.
 
Woohoo! You have a really nice vinyl setup now - you aren't at state of the art but you can see it from there. Glad it worked out. Audiophile assessments aren't anywhere close to as valuable as being able to say "I love the sound".

Carts don't need much break-in in my experience. 2g isn't at all bad but I thought that cartridge was .75-1.5g tracking. Wet heck out of the record to clean it and play it wet if you want - it will moderate the clicks and pops without bad effect on the sound.
Yes, I do like the sound. The thing I forgot to mention is that I have to turn up the volume (around 10%?) (ex from 50 to 60) to get the same volume levels as CDs.
 
The thing I forgot to mention is that I have to turn up the volume (around 10%?) (ex from 50 to 60) to get the same volume levels as CDs.
That is very common and not an indication of any malfunction. It's actually less in your case than mine - I have about a 20% delta.
 
Back
Top Bottom