• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SP10 mkII or Denon DP-80

Hi, Thanks guy's & thanks Mr. Pig for alerting me to the DP-75. Higher specs that the SP10mk2 unless you can find a ''A'' model.
The DP75 is 50% the cost of the 80, so well worth taking a chance on and only the speed tolerance is slightly lower, but still higher than the SP10mk2.
By the way the SP15 is more akin to the SP10 Mk3, uses the same very rare control board,
Will be interesting to see what it sounds like with my Under-Hang arm.

Now all I have to do is get it in without the wife seeing it!!

Cheers again.

1) While the SP-10MK3 and SP-15 use the same chipset, they have nothing else in common. Not sure what you mean by “control board”.

2) Denon is specifying W&F using their ‘own proprietary method’ of using the motor frequency generator while Technics is using JIS standard - a test record. You’re comparing apples and oranges. As far as FG WRMS measurements go, 0.015% is rather poor.
 
You might also consider a Pioneer PLC-590. It's not a motor unit in the same way the others are though.
 

I never liked that record.....:oops:

My $10 DP 47F keeps me happy.....

009.jpg
 
Last edited:
Why not just by a 1200G and be done with it?

That's what I ended to do, personally... No hassle, combining professional performance and HiFi-Audiophile refinements, in a compact, sturdy, well-designed package. And brand new !

I was at first tempted by a nice 80s Micro-Seiki DQX-500 turntable plus MA-707 tone arm :

upload_2023-6-1_18-24-12.png

But did not liked too much the idea to work on a turntable, finally, so that's why I went for the Technics SL-1200G, "ready and fine right out of the box".

upload_2023-6-1_18-26-43.png

T
 
I mentioned earlier on this thread that I own a Denon with an issue with the magnetic strip, it is the most common problem with Denons. Magnets weaken over time, a knock can reduce magnetism or close proximity to a strong magnet could be enough to kill the info on the strip.
Mine has a perfect looking strip so not due to damage.
Chris

I never heard of this problem with that Denon. That would be such a bummer. To have a perfect turntable, but can't use it due to an unobtanium magnetic strip. I guess one would need to buy another table, as a parts donor --- praying that its magnetic strip is functional.

Thanks, for bringing this up. As I have been interested in this model Denon.

For replacement parts sanity sake, I think I'll keep my Technics. For my Sony, I already have a replacement table, for parts. We audio-studs are so OCD! ;)
 
I have removed the platter, cleaned and adjusted magnetic heads on a number of these so many times with no issue. I highly doubt you would ever have an issue with the head or the magnetic strip. The transistors and caps are the likely culprits.

Ken is right. There is a lot more than just the motor section on either choise that affect the sound.

The good thing with the 80 is they are cheap to get another if you have invested in the more important part, the arm, and the 80 dies. Just drop in another easy to find 80.
 
I have removed the platter, cleaned and adjusted magnetic heads on a number of these so many times with no issue. I highly doubt you would ever have an issue with the head or the magnetic strip. The transistors and caps are the likely culprits.

Ken is right. There is a lot more than just the motor section on either choise that affect the sound.

The good thing with the 80 is they are cheap to get another if you have invested in the more important part, the arm, and the 80 dies. Just drop in another easy to find 80.

Is adjusting the magnetic heads an intuitive thing? Or do you need specific gap dimensions?

Thanks!
 
tabarddn51 you have four highly respected AK members JP, Kent Mr Pig and Mark 1234 contributing info. Owning four Technics, two SP-25, one SP-15 and a SL-1300Mk2 I can say I live in both camps Technics and Denon. Doubt you will be disappointed with the Denon DP-75, slightly less torque on startup and no variable speed adjustment but unless it's for broadcast use these two features of the DP-80 won't be of much consequence for home use. Almost purchased a DP-80 from a local seller at an excellent price, he advised me that he switched out his DP-75 to the DP-80 using the same plinth tonearm cartridge an identical setup other than motor units and stated he could hear no difference. Someday I still might end up with a DP-80 motor unit. What will make the Denon really shine is the choice of a plinth and tonearm.
 
Last edited:
Is adjusting the magnetic heads an intuitive thing? Or do you need specific gap dimensions?

Thanks!

Sometimes the gap is stated on the service manual. But, ideally, you use an oscilloscope to confirm that the head is receiving a waveform of the appropiate amplitude.

For example these are the specs for the Denon DP-30L

upload_2023-6-1_17-19-14.png
 
Last edited:
Why not just by a 1200G and be done with it?

It's not comparable.

For starters, with a non-integral turntable, like the SP10 series or Denon DP80, you are free to use whatever plinth and tonearm you prefer. And to upgrade them later.

With a SL-1200G you are stuck with the same plinth and tonearm.
 
So you'd need an appropriate signal generator, too?

No, the magnetic track inside the platter goes near the head and the head generates the signal. You just need to verify that the signal is present and the amplitude is enough. You can adjust the head position in (all?) most models.
 
No, the magnetic track inside the platter goes near the head and the head generates the signal. You just need to verify that the signal is present and the amplitude is enough. You can adjust the head position in (all?) most models.

So, in essence you could use a DVM (mVAC mode) to measure, since the sine wave should be good-to-go (self-generated)?

Thanks, again!
 
The improvements on the SP models starting with the 10, then the SP15, SP25, up until you get to the SP10 MkII are no small matter, the latter being a much-improved model, and then to go to the SP10 MkIII is another major jump and price is indictive of that jump. So the jump from a SP15 to the SP10 MkIII is a Grand Canyon leap. When your at that level, your more fairly to compare the MkIII to something like a Denon DP-100M, a Sony PS-X9, Kenwood L-07D or other quite elevated models.

One thing to consider when your at those levels and with that price range the Denon, the Sony, and the Kennywood come with plinths, and tone arms so your at a complete tabe, while the Technics is still just a platter, motor, and power supply. Your still facing the cost of all the rest to make it a complete table.
 
Last edited:
I think the better items on the post I posted are probably going to be a bit above what the OP has in mind as far as budget.
 
Currently have a DP 75, and in all my years of mucking around with Denon tables I’ve never heard of a problem with the magnetic strip or even an adjustment….

Can certainly believe it could be an issue if someone took it apart, and will also admit that the DP 75 is the “lowest” in the ranking order of Denon tables I’ve personally owned.

VR
Andy
 
Back
Top Bottom