• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SP10 mkII or Denon DP-80

Ken I don't see the SP-25 in the list, overlooked?

On the original post I had the SP25 in the order of hierarch of the Technics line up. The SP25 is below the SP10 MkII. But if you're looking for the best it is either the new SL-1000 RE-S, or the SP10 MkIII.
 
On the original post I had the SP25 in the order of hierarch of the Technics line up. The SP25 is below the SP10 MkII. But if you're looking for the best it is either the new SL-1000 RE-S, or the SP10 MkIII.

The latter is like the SP-15. IC dependent (yes, a reproduction solution is being made and offered). I like the SP-10 Mk II the best. But also like the SP-15 and SP-25 considerably.
 
As much as I like an SP10 MK II, and they are a fine table...I still think I would prefer a DP80 and the extra funds could go to a better cartridge. But I need an extra turntable like I need a hole in my head, so its easy to ignore that want. LOL.
 
48th-anniversary-of-first-tv-broadcasting-of-les-shadoks-6231897669632000-hp2x.gif

Pourquoi faire simple quand on peut faire compliqué ?
Jacques Rouxel - Les Shadoks - 1969.

T

The French are Masters of this philosophy.

Citroen SM engine.jpg

citroen-sm-1972.jpg
 
Hi, Yes would love the SL-1000 RE-S, but at $34,000 in NZ I think I would need to pass. It also would be sacrilege as I would need to take the arm off!!

Cheers
 
Hi, Yes would love the SL-1000 RE-S, but at $34,000 in NZ I think I would need to pass. It also would be sacrilege as I would need to take the arm off!!



Cheers

Why would you want to change the arm?
It is hand built well isolated and magnesium with super low friction bearings. Few arms at any price will compare no matter what shape.
Chris
 
As much as I like an SP10 MK II, and they are a fine table...I still think I would prefer a DP80 and the extra funds could go to a better cartridge. But I need an extra turntable like I need a hole in my head, so its easy to ignore that want. LOL.

I have both a SP10MKII and a DP75. The Denon arrived needing some service, and I recently got it back but have not yet mounted it with a plinth and tonearm. The Technics has been a workhorse for me--other than some caps in the power supply needing replacing it has just been spinning for me for 20 years without complaint. It will be interesting to see if I really hear a difference between the two (but they will have different arms so not a scientifically valid test!) and if so, will I have a preference?

I bought the Technics back when they were cheap, and the Denon last year from Japan on a whim (relatively inexpensive compared to both the usual USA price and what the SP10's now go for.) I appreciate the no nonsense build of the Technics--it is professional tool meant for hard service and to be serviced. It can probably be your last turntable with no complaint; it should have been mine, but somehow I manage to keep collecting more. The Denon seems likely to be more hifi-ish in its demands on the owner. If I like it and it keeps working, it will be quite a good deal as near TOTL for under $1,000 with plinth (DK-2000) and tonearm (Fidelity Research FR-54.) If not, it will be an impressive door stop.
 
Something I like on the Technics over most of my other tables, is the strength of the motor. If you use a brush to dust over your records, the platter spins with authority, rather than dying from the friction of a brush.
 
I have both a SP10MKII and a DP75. The Denon arrived needing some service, and I recently got it back but have not yet mounted it with a plinth and tonearm. The Technics has been a workhorse for me--other than some caps in the power supply needing replacing it has just been spinning for me for 20 years without complaint. It will be interesting to see if I really hear a difference between the two (but they will have different arms so not a scientifically valid test!) and if so, will I have a preference?

I bought the Technics back when they were cheap, and the Denon last year from Japan on a whim (relatively inexpensive compared to both the usual USA price and what the SP10's now go for.) I appreciate the no nonsense build of the Technics--it is professional tool meant for hard service and to be serviced. It can probably be your last turntable with no complaint; it should have been mine, but somehow I manage to keep collecting more. The Denon seems likely to be more hifi-ish in its demands on the owner. If I like it and it keeps working, it will be quite a good deal as near TOTL for under $1,000 with plinth (DK-2000) and tonearm (Fidelity Research FR-54.) If not, it will be an impressive door stop.

Both are nice tables, and I owned them at the same time. Ultimately I moved them on as I went on to explore a couple of other tables. These I enjoy quite a bit and they are with me for the long haul. I can see where both the SP10 II or DP75/80 can be end game tables for others.
 
DP-2000 here. Not entirely sure how it compares to the DP-75/80 but specs seem fairly similar. It also has the tape head / magnetic strip. No issues with it whatsoever. Hard to imagine I'll ever "upgrade" from here. I have a Grace 707 arm on it. Restored the whole thing myself. Lovely, lovely.

PXL_20230604_060905639.jpg
 
Hi, Got the T/T itch, has anyone ever been able to audition these two side by side. Obviously the SP10 needs no recommendation. But have read the DP-80 is more reliable, easer to repair & around 50% the cost. S/Q wise some people have written the DP10 is nearly as good and has a better bass (I like bass)

Also to note shipping an SP10 is around $500, whereas a nude DP80 is $100!!

Cheers for any replies.
If it were me, I'd go with the one I like the looks of the most.
 
Something I like on the Technics over most of my other tables, is the strength of the motor. If you use a brush to dust over your records, the platter spins with authority, rather than dying from the friction of a brush.




obviously, being a professional turntable born to counter the dominance of EMT or Telefunken, it cannot slow down for so little but must keep the speed constant while remaining as imperturbable as possible. This is the example of the power possessed by the motor, a photo taken demonstrating the power of the motor taken at the Tokyo Audio Fair in 1976


Audio-Fair-Tokyo-1976.jpg
 
obviously, being a professional turntable born to counter the dominance of EMT or Telefunken, it cannot slow down for so little but must keep the speed constant while remaining as imperturbable as possible. This is the example of the power possessed by the motor, a photo taken demonstrating the power of the motor taken at the Tokyo Audio Fair in 1976


Audio-Fair-Tokyo-1976.jpg


On the new SL 1000R the motor is claimed to be nearly impossible to stop. so more powerful than the SP 19 motor. But this was a great demo Technics did back in the day.
 
Back
Top Bottom