• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Telefunken Hymnus 5014 WK

NewlyFunked

New Member
Hi all. Just purchased my first tube amp at an estate sale yesterday. Got it for $250. It mostly works and I've got all the paperwork. Main question is.....what have I got here? It sounds awesome, but needs some TLC. I kinda want to keep it and I've got questions about modernizing it: in/out jacks, probably needs new speakers. Check out the pics and let me know what you think :)20240908_141853.jpg20240908_141725.jpg20240908_141833.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 20240908_141737.jpg
    20240908_141737.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 10
Register to hide this ad
Hi all. Just purchased my first tube amp at an estate sale yesterday. .. Main question is.....what have I got here? It sounds awesome, but needs some TLC.

What you have is an AM/FM Stereo Receiver with a TT I'm almost positive there is no amplifier in it

If you plan on keeping it long term you should have it assessed by a local tube technician to make sure it's working as it was it was meant to.

60+ years parts (caps, resistors) tend to need attention and possible replacement The TT should be looked at to

 
What you have is an AM/FM Stereo Receiver with a TT I'm almost positive there is no amplifier in it

If you plan on keeping it long term you should have it assessed by a local tube technician to make sure it's working as it was it was meant to.

60+ years parts (caps, resistors) tend to need attention and possible replacement The TT should be looked at to


Womp. If there's no amp I'm still happy. Even though it has some issues it sounds awesome and gets loud enough. Louie Armstrong came on the broadcast and I was finally able get the hype. Don't get me wrong, I like Louie, but he sounded different through this thing. The TT has some issues but the build quality looks and feels really good. It's also automatic, hope it just needs a tune up. I guess the deciding factor is how much it will cost to get it up to speed. Do you have any DIY resources on something like this?
 
There is an amplifier in it. It's the classic EL84 SE Telefunken amplifier stage. It's in the receiver.

Ok it's not powerful, barely over 1 watt but with efficient speaker, it will produce enough sound.

I agree, the regular refresh is on order (coupling caps, electrolytic caps, resistor drift, etc....).

Nice one !
 
What you have is an AM/FM Stereo Receiver with a TT I'm almost positive there is no amplifier in it

Hi NewlyFunked,

What Mr. Dswankey was meaning to say is that there is no SEPARATE amp chassis in that console, but rest assured there most certainly IS an audio amp in there, it's just built onto the same chassis as the radio receiving components.

Brice beat me to the post by mere seconds :D
 
Woohoo! This made my day, thanks guys!

I'm trying to set up an appointment with a local (MD/DC) legend in tubes, Pete Cage. I'll be sure to post the results
 
I don't know Pete Cage, but you might need a European radio specialist for this, not just a tube guy. Depends on the level of internal complexity. They are very different from the typical US and Japanese audio pieces of that era.

Jack
 
yeah Euro stuff can be a challenge to work on to put it mildly. Also I'd expect closer to 3 watts of output per channel.

Nothing technically odd about what it will need though, the usual assortment of cap replacements and control cleaning. The challenge is the physical construction. That button mechanism eats a ton of space in the chassis and everything ends up packed in around it so access to the parts that need replacing can be hard.


Fair bet it does not need new speakers unless they have been damaged somehow. Unlikely anything will be a direct fit or be efficient enough to perform well anyway.

Probably can put some modern sources to it. Its got a tape recorder input that you can use. If you want to use the tape, add a switch box between the tape and the amplifier and add inputs that way.
 
Thanks for the tips gadget73!

Well fellas, it didn't work out with the tube guy, so I'm going in DIY. I'm studying engineering and I have some circuit analysis knowledge but this will be my first real project.

I have:
1. The full diagram
2. Access to tube tools at my job (Guitar Repair Shop)
3. A few repair reference videos on this model

What I need:
1. Knowledge on choosing caps and resistors
2. To find out additional unkowns haha

Thanks again everyone for your help, I think I'll go ahead and post as I make progress
 
I've generally had OK luck with Euro resistors, they were often a film type and tend to be pretty stable value-wise. Most of them will measure in-circuit with no fuss. If it reads on value its good, if it reads low something is across it. If its out of tolerance high, its bad.

The caps that are basically clear with visible silver stuff inside tend to be polystyrene. Those are usually good, just avoid hitting them with a soldering iron and they don't really appreciate having their leads heated either. These will mostly be low value parts in the tuner areas.

The ones that are paper wrapped are usually paper dielectric and should be replaced. Polypropylene film make excellent subs.

The electrolytic are just general purpose electrolytic, nothing magical about them.

I don't see a rectifier tube on the list, so probably it has a selenium. I'll buck the usual trend here and say that if the output voltage measures in spec with a good filter cap, you can leave it alone. If its low, replace it. The fail mode for selenium is high voltage loss, and they tend to die when abused too much. Often thats from bad capacitors. When they go bad it stinks and the smoke that comes out is toxic so if its questionable it should go away. German selenium is usually in one of two forms, a silver flat pack bridge rectifier, or in a black metal can.

don't know what record changer its got, but petrified lube and hard idler wheels are pretty much the rule with all of them. if its got a reel to reel tape deck, same kind of thing. Idler wheels if it has them, belts, and lube on the moving parts. Electronics is electronics, so dirty contacts and bad caps and all the same stuff the rest of it needs.
 
This is what I am working on now. A little stereo amp.
And I can confirm: the resistors are film one and quite still good. The lytics are all bad, and the paper one are bad too, like Gadget said.
The mechanical aspect is also a problem: one push lever is broken.
This is not an easy one. Weird feedback, weird volume/equalizer, etc.. It is simply complicated :)20240824_205101.jpg
I'll make it simpler,... just for fun.
 
The FM is not stereo, that didn't happen until 1963
The changer IS stereo and uses a ceramic cartridge
Nice cabinet, different from the high-gloss models
If the right-to-left FM goes to 108 then it is an American model German models went to 100

It appears to be a single ended amp with one EL84 per side
FYI, the tubes in it are worth the price of admission

You are not a serious vintage stereo aficionado unless you have owned at least ONE German console.
They are referred to as INSTUMENTS, that's why they have ivory keys
 
If the just ECC83's and EL84's are all original Telefunken's, they're worth at least as much as what you paid for the whole thing, as stated above.
 
Hi all, its been a while since my last post. This project is definitely gonna be a slow burn. As promised I'm gonna post my progress as its made. I just pulled the the console out and here are the pictures. I'm planning on replacing most of the paper caps. Notice that one of them had blown so bad that it got disconnected. I haven't yet found it on the diagram. Enjoy the pics!
 

Attachments

  • 20250103_175534.jpg
    20250103_175534.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 9
  • 20250103_175504.jpg
    20250103_175504.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20250103_175455.jpg
    20250103_175455.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 7
  • 20250103_175451.jpg
    20250103_175451.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20250103_175232.jpg
    20250103_175232.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20250103_175217.jpg
    20250103_175217.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20250103_175205.jpg
    20250103_175205.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 8
I restored that exact model about 20 years ago, sounded great. It has a lot of small caps, some are hard to get to so take your time. The rectifier is selenium.

The record changer was made by telefunken under license from VM. While there are differences there are many similarities
and uses many of the same parts.
 
I restored that exact model about 20 years ago, sounded great. It has a lot of small caps, some are hard to get to so take your time. The rectifier is selenium.

The record changer was made by telefunken under license from VM. While there are differences there are many similarities
and uses many of the same parts.

Crazy thing is it sounds pretty good right now. When you say record changer....I can load more than one record in this thing?

A selenium rectifier? Is that what this black can is?
 

Attachments

  • 17360048622396223903242343853177.jpg
    17360048622396223903242343853177.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 17360049465027502436193326923982.jpg
    17360049465027502436193326923982.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom