• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tell me about the Marantz Sixteen...

legal eagle

Sound Hound
Got me a pair of Marantz Sixteen monoblocks, they have not arrived yet. I could not find much on the web about them, but I saw these came either as monoblocks, or as a unified amp with this faceplate that hods them together. These are the pics by the seller (sorry for the low pixel quality).

So who can tell me something - anything about these?






 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Congrats! My buddy has one in mint conditon (without being NIB) Under rated @ 80 wpc. He just had it serviced and recapped for it's first time by this guy who mainly focuses on those series of amps. It's a great sounding amp. Here is some more info.
 
Last edited:
The Model 16 was available in two different versions, the early version was 80 watts the later version (sometimes call 16B) was 100 watts. As far as I know they were not sold as mono amps, they came mounted together with a classic Marantz faceplate.

Production was probably between 4-5 thousand units, so they are somewhat rare today. The matching preamp is the model 33.

I use a 100 watt Model 16 on a regular basis and it has a wonderful sound and lots of power. I use it with both a 33 preamp and a 7T preamp both of which sound great.

Glad to see these went from the auction site to a good home, enjoy them
 
Thanks guys.

I must say that now I am facing a slight dilema I did not plan:

On the one hand, if the number of units produced of these early solid state Marantz amps were that low, and the once on their way to me seem to be (at least cosmetically) in great condition - well they might be collectors items one day. As such, they might appreciate in value. I don't think they will appreciate in value to the extent I'll be able to replace them with an Esotec piece of gear.

On the other hand, am I a real collector of vintage gear - to the extent that I should store these forever? This means probably that I will not hook these up, not listen to them, and won't recap them as this will tarnish any hope that they will maintain their "collectability".

I would like to hear what the mob here has to say. Here are some better pics.


 
Last edited:
"I" can't see myself packing these beauties up for later use/sell/whatever. They were manufactured for one purpose, music enjoyment.
 
This can be fully checked out ans tested... ESR test the caps and replace only what needs to be....

Units that are in known correct working condition are better than unknown.....

jk
 
The way I deal with the dilemma of original condition collectibility verses the need for repair and refurbishment for longevity is to repair my units as close to the original design as possible using modern components. I save all of the original components, each in their own package marked with the location in the unit they were removed from. When I sell a unit all of the original parts go with the sale so if the buyer wants to restore it to museum condition they can.

I usually keep most units for at least 3 years and use them on a regular basis.
 
The mod 16,,hardly is a collector amp.....But the Esotec MA-5 is......but both are simmiler in circuit design..16 is 80 to100 watts,,,,MA-5 120 watts AB or 30 class A But both designs are built like a tank.. I have eight MA-5 and not a bit of trouble.. Play them and enjoy the 16...
 
the 16b, for it's price range, is the finest example of mono block construction ever made, and this is not just my opinion. The man who restored mine worked on Marantz gear for 40 plus years
 
Much have already been said about the Marantz 16 (B) - but not all is complete.

Model 16 - first issue = 60 watts. To mono amps bolted together and sharing one faceplate. (written "Sixty RMS sixty" on the faceplate)

Model 16B - Same - but 100 watts each block - still with a shared faceplate (Written "one hundred RMS one hundred" on the faceplate

Model 16M 1 mono block with a dedicated faceplate (now THAT is rare!!) - Written "one hundred RMS power amplifier" on the faceplate.

The ones you got are not original. Unless we can get access to some close-up's from the back side of the units - we are not able to see, what you really have.

Yours are probably missing the faceplate and are separated as monoblocks - allthough they are born as mono's dedicated for the stereoversion 16 or 16B - the faceplate is lost.

Somebody seems to have repainted the black facia and added a couple of Marantz emblems. This is not original either.

But....they are IMO very fine amps with a niiice Marantz sound and seems to have enough power to drive most speakers to a good power level with ease.

Please look at the attached picture to see a 16M.

and...please add a good quality picture (Close up) from the back of your units.

added: by looking closer at your pictures of your 16's - it seems that they're not repainted - they just had the two Marantz emblems added - which is not original.


regards
Freddy
 

Attachments

  • 13_1_b.jpg
    13_1_b.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
The way I deal with the dilemma of original condition collectibility verses the need for repair and refurbishment for longevity is to repair my units as close to the original design as possible using modern components. I save all of the original components, each in their own package marked with the location in the unit they were removed from. When I sell a unit all of the original parts go with the sale so if the buyer wants to restore it to museum condition they can.

This is my attitude as well. These amps were made to be used. After it cools, after use, cover it with a pillow case, or something similar. If it has to be moved, just be careful... the Model 16 will only increase in value.
Contrary to some opinions, this is already a rare and collectible amp. The Model 18 and 19 receivers are only begining to gain in popularity. For my money, they are the two best sounding Marantz receivers ever made. I mention this because the power section of the Model 19 receiver is very similar to the Model 16 amp, IIRC. Correct me if memory fails.
I happen to be very fond of the Model 250 and especially the Model 500... I like headroom. But, if I didn't have several Model 250s and a couple of Model 19 receivers, I'd be actively searching for a clean Model 16 in particular.
It is a very fine amp, and hard to beat in its power range. :yes:
 
Fred, I think these were industrial issue version. When I was with Cramer's we got a military contract to supply the 16M in industrial trim and they looked the ones in the photo. We supplied I seem to remember 3 dozen of them under the contract over an 18 month preriod. These used the rca inputs that surprised me.

I do not remember if there was a model number or not. On one reserve duty I was assigned to a sub and it had one mounted for PA and audio use. When we pulled it, I was assigned sonar and communications duties, the inputs were a mil something or other and were in the place of the rca inputs and the outputs also shcnage. No marks, on the unit so do not know if these were modded before installation or original from Marantz.

We also supplied Mc amps under contract. The MC2300 was used for shaker table apps and the 2100 for some lab purpose.
 
Model 9s were used by the Mil guys too..... They always get the good stuff....and they deserve it too.....


Jk
 
60 watts? I thought the Sixteen was 80 wpc.

My buddy has a near mint, if not mint Sixteen. It was recapped about a year and half ago.


attachment.php
 
yes...off course

Yes- I stated in my post (#11), that there is a "60-watter" - that's obviously a mistanke. Must have beeen mentally absent :screwy:
off course it's an 80-watt/ch - amp.

best Regards
Freddy
 
Some of you might have been thinking about the Model Fifteen in the back of your mind. I believe that one's 60 WPC. I "should" know, I have a Fifteen, but haven't used it or read about it in a good while. ;)
 
tell me about the Marantz sixteen

Much have already been said about the Marantz 16 (B) - but not all is complete.

Model 16 - first issue = 60 watts. To mono amps bolted together and sharing one faceplate. (written "Sixty RMS sixty" on the faceplate)

Model 16B - Same - but 100 watts each block - still with a shared faceplate (Written "one hundred RMS one hundred" on the faceplate

Model 16M 1 mono block with a dedicated faceplate (now THAT is rare!!) - Written "one hundred RMS power amplifier" on the faceplate.

The ones you got are not original. Unless we can get access to some close-up's from the back side of the units - we are not able to see, what you really have.

Yours are probably missing the faceplate and are separated as monoblocks - allthough they are born as mono's dedicated for the stereoversion 16 or 16B - the faceplate is lost.

Somebody seems to have repainted the black facia and added a couple of Marantz emblems. This is not original either.

But....they are IMO very fine amps with a niiice Marantz sound and seems to have enough power to drive most speakers to a good power level with ease.

Please look at the attached picture to see a 16M.

and...please add a good quality picture (Close up) from the back of your units.

added: by looking closer at your pictures of your 16's - it seems that they're not repainted - they just had the two Marantz emblems added - which is not original.


regards
Freddy

The easiest way to tell if an amp is a 16 or a 16b is to look at the fuse on the back. If the fuse says next to it to use a 2 1/2 amp fuse, the amp is a 16. If it says 3 amp, then the amplifier is the later, higher power, 100 watt per channel, Marantz 16B. BTW, the 60 watt amp was the Marantz 15.
 
Back
Top Bottom