• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tell me about the Marantz Sixteen...

The easiest way is to look at the front (if there is any) - saying "one hundreded RMS one hundred" (16B) - an "eighty RMS eighty" (16) - secondly the power comsumption noted on the black/gold sticker on the back says - respectively 300W (16) and 410W (16B). The fuse thing is depending on the voltage applied. But it is clearly stated 2½A for the 16 and 3A for the 16B - just like you say.

In Europe it needs a different fuse (2A - for 230V (16B)) - and that is said on the sticker applied in the voltage conversion kit.

The "sixty watt ghost" is the result of a sudden brain failure from me. Off course the 60Watter is the 15.

best regards
Freddy
 
Last edited:
I'm a rare poster but avid reader of AK, and found this old thread as I'm considering picking up a 16 locally... Love the Marantz sound, want to get something with high power, and this model was pretty new to me (I'm far from an expert on the tech side, but sound-wise I've always used/loved 70s solid state gear).

I think there's something up with this unit - faceplate says "one hundred RMS one hundred", so based on the above I'd assume it's a 100W 16B. But the back plate says 300W and 2 1/2 fuse, suggesting it's actually a 16, so only 80W. Ad claims all-original, but maybe it's an incorrect replaced faceplate? Pics attached. Any idea what's up?

Downside to this is I'll have to start researching preamps - I've always used integrated so I guess this is a slippery slope :)
 

Attachments

  • marantz16.JPG
    marantz16.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 52
  • marantz16_back.JPG
    marantz16_back.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 55
The 300 watts is the power consumption of the amplifier, not the output.

The 16B pairs best with a Model 7T or the later Model 33 - Chris
 
Thanks Chris, yes I know the 300/410 rating is the consumption, was more curious about the inconsistency in the faceplate vs specs on back.. this is likely a 16 with 16B faceplate, but wanted some backup :)

My next mission is definitely to find a good preamp to pair with :)
 
in fact - I'm not quite sure about this, but to the best of my knowledge, the serial number - paired with the possible "mismatch" between the faceplate and the power consumption stickers on the back it leads me to think, that the amps are 16's (without the "B") and are dressed with a 16B-faceplate. Combined with a relatively low serial number it supports the assumption that a mismatch has taken place some time in the past. A couple of friends of mine do have a 16 (wtihout the "B") and their serial numbers are in the 1400-1500-1600 Ballpark. I do have two 16B's - and their #-numbers are in the 3500-3600 figures.

I hope my writing is understandable.

regards
Freddy
 
Great amp. Mine is 16b. Here's a pic of the back of the right one with 3amp fuse and serial #. Also a pic of the Model 33 which looks very nice with the 16 if you can find one...anyone know what the difference is inside of the 16 and 16b? Maybe just put a 3 amp fuse in and whalah you got a b...IMG_0601.JPGIMG_0602.JPG
 
F81C5447-C4A6-4926-9777-0088C74CFF3D.jpeg Just picked this up. Sounds awesome with my NAD 1130 preamp and PL-518X TT. Wondering on some digital recordings though... I seem to here a light distortion in the mid highs. About like raindrops. Not sure if it’s the recordings though as I have a limited selection to audition.
 
Back
Top Bottom