• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tell me what you love/hate about your 4th generation Camaro / Firebird. Owners only please...

Ohighway

Wannabe Minimalist
1993 through 2002 F-body...... Camaro or Firebird.

Please only respond if you're a current or former owner.

What do you love about your car? What do you dislike?

Suggestions for someone considering purchasing?

Thanks !
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I'd advise you to check into "Team Camaro" wherein you will have a host of answers to your particular question.

Being a past first gen owner, I'm a little biased if pushed for an answer.

Q
 
Having owned/currently own two 4th Gen F-bodies, I will chime in. Love: styling, handling, acceleration. These cars offer lots of bang for the buck. You can get a nice one for around $10K USD, and a really nice one for around $15K USD. Dislike: brakes, quality of materials (interior bits are fragile, and there is almost no aftermarket support for this platform yet, unlike the 3rd Gen 1982-92 cars), window motors and headlight motors (Firebird only) need replacement from time to time. Nice thing is, once you've done those jobs once, you can do them again easily and quickly. They are long, heavy cars, with long overhangs, so you have to be careful jacking them to avoid damage. Engine compartments present challenges as the engines are partially under the cowl (I'm referring to the V8s here). Interior comfort isn't the best (the passenger side has a large hump on the floor that bothers some, storage capacity in the back is only fair due to the odd shape of the compartment with a deep well at the very back, but the rest under the hatch is very shallow). Rear seats are good for luggage only. Interior of the Trans Am (particularly if equipped with the AQ9 power seats) is better than the Camaro (I never liked the driver seat in my 2000 Camaro SS), and the Firebird's dash is more attractive. Fuel economy with the 6 speed is surprisingly good as 6th gear is very tall. We take our TA Firehawk to shows and summer weekend trips, and have no plans to ever sell it, even if it has only accumulated around 3000 km in the last 10 years. Current mileage is about 155K km. I've owned the Firehawk since 2001, and its only required the headlight and window motor replaced, a new battery, and an AC recharge, along with brakes and a couple sets of tires, in all that time. IMO the best one to buy would be a black WS6 or Firehawk Trans Am, as those are holding their value the best. Happy to answer any specific questions, if you have them. Good luck with your search, if you decide to buy a 4th Gen.
 
The window sticker says 17mpg City, 26mpg Hwy, 20mpg Combined. My experience is lower in the city (if in lots of stop/start traffic), and higher on the hwy, particularly if you use 6th gear often. I beat the 26 estimate on one long trip. In mostly city use, when I used to daily drive the Firehawk, I regularly got 20 mpg. Actually quite amazing considering the weight of the vehicle. 6th is actually so tall, that it feels almost like it is "lugging" the engine at speeds lower than about 60mph. When you are at 70-80mph 6th is more comfortable, as the engine is turning just over 2000rpm. Still has torque for passing too, without having to downshift. Its a great car for long road trips, except for the lack of luggage capacity (I've always wished the 3rd and 4th Gens had the enormous trunks of the 1st Gen cars!) The V8 does require premium fuel, FYI.
 
CFF89A44-13D0-4BD6-B044-02A1250364AF.png look up LS1engine knock.....mine has it.....it's actually piston slap. So, just know it can be a common occurrence with the LS1 motor. I bought mine brand new in 2002. It is the limited edition model. I have the convertible, and here I am on rt 66 this past sept.
It'll do 13.5 in the quarter mile all day long , stock. Advertised at 320 hp, but closer to 340. Obviously nothing compared to today, but, not bad.
 

Attachments

  • E90B3EF7-DFEE-488D-A6B4-0909DABEC441.png
    E90B3EF7-DFEE-488D-A6B4-0909DABEC441.png
    329.2 KB · Views: 10
Thanks Wu6,

I thought those MPG were a tad low!

Jih3rd ,

Piston slap till it comes up to operating temp right! Had a few engines that did that!
 
Thanks Wu6,

I thought those MPG were a tad low!

Jih3rd ,

Piston slap till it comes up to operating temp right! Had a few engines that did that!
Piston slap is pretty common on everything GM V-8s of that era. My 01 Silverado 4.8 does it til it's warm and never a problem with it yet and it's got 350,000 KM on it and still going strong. (Great motor)
 
wu6fiend summed it up very well. Had a 94 Formula 6 speed myself before wife and kids and loved it. Did many 1000 mile runs from Boston to Illinois in the summer to visit family and friends. Was very reliable, got 26 on the highway at 80 and was a blast to drive. I also learned the difference between a car with high limits and a good handling car. If you were fooling around and got the back end out at speed, it could be a challenge to catch.

Kinda miss it sometimes but time has put this level of performance in sedans now.

If you do get one, get the Borla adjustable cat back. THAT, I miss ;-)

jblnut
 
Bought mine new in 2000. I've had to replace a clutch master cylinder and rear axle bump-stops. As of this post, it's in the paint shop to have a new fiberglass roof to correct the problem with the adhesive migrating through and bubbling the clear coat. Thanks GM. :mad: I can't complain overall.
The 5.7 LS1 6spd. sips gas until you hit the go pedal and handles like its on rails. I installed a set of chromed factory wheels from SLP and the Hypertech Power Programmer III w/160 degree thermostat. I planned on trading up to the next generation when they came out until I drove one. :thumbsdown:

Edit: Never had the "piston slap" problem but the idler pulleys squeaked after about 20K. Replacements were outrageously expensive so I opened them up and added lube. I later heard the OE supplier skimped on the lube to meet a price point. Another **** up by GM.

2000 Camaro SS
mycar.jpg

DSC00323.jpg
 
Last edited:
Thanks for all the input so far. Some of this verifies things I suspected or knew. Like that stupid catalytic converter 'lump' in the passenger side floor. Some is new information to me. For example.... didn't know the V-8 cars required premium fuel.

I really like the general appearance of these cars. For me they represent the last of the original F-bodies before 'retro mania ruined the styling. Depending on the specific model some of these look like ultra aerodynamic space ships.

I'm pretty much looking for a clean attractive car to -drive-. Not interested in paying a premium for a model just because it's rare or collectible.
Ideally I'd like to have a convertible with the LS, 6 speed and cloth interior. While I admire the LS motors, I'm not thinking I'd be suffering if I 'only' had the earlier version with the LT-1. I do find that I distinctly love/hate the styling of individual items. For example.

Love = the Firebird/Formula front nose on the 93-97, understated Camaro standard rear spoiler, front nose on either early or later Camaro, dashboard on any of the Firebirds and on the later Camaros.
Hate = any of the rear spoiler or wing treatments on the Firebirds, earlier Camaro dashboard, earlier Trans Am nose , and any of the later Firebird nose treatments. I find it disappointing that trunk storage space is so meager. No excuse on a car that size.

I missed out on what was likely an ideal car about a year ago, but I'd just started looking and still had a lot to learn. (still do) It was a very clean looking 95 Firebird Formula convertible in a very pretty green with tan cloth interior, LT-1 and 6 speed, 107k miles. Probably could have been mine for around $5k. But I just wasn't ready to move yet......
 
the/my 02 v8 camaro does not require 92 octane, it just runs slightly stronger as the computer will advance the timing. If running 87 octane, the computer uses the knock sensors to retard timing as needed to prevent knocking.
 
I had a 2000 WS6 t-top for three years. Had headers, cam, exhaust, BBK intake, throttle body, Koni's, full Uni rod link suspension with Koni's, EBC brakes on it and Z06 wheels with 375 tires.

Likes:
Fun, lots of fun
Great looking car that got lots of comments
Pretty reliable even when built

Dislikes:
Cheap interior, dash pad made out of a potato chip (mine was not cracked cause i didn't touch it, everyone else's was)
Crude handling, see solid axle which you better upgrade if you add any serious power
Inadequate stock brakes (easy fix)
Passenger side window needs the $50 fix kit
Defroster was a joke on cold mornings
 
I never owned one but I drove one off and on for several years. It was a 99 Trans Am with a manual. It was the worst handling modern car I've ever driven for a car than was loads of fun in a straight line and through sweeping corners.

He had it from about 2001 through 2010. He bought it barely used from a GM supplier which he worked for also. It was very reliable mechanically but lots of little things went wrong and the interior felt and looked cheap.

He would definitely say it was a good experience but it is what it is. Go fast for pretty cheap with a certain look.

Aesthetically, I always preferred than gen Trans Am/Formula to the Z28.
 
There is also the 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO. They are going up in value.

I passed on buying a 2005 several years ago for $10,000 from an executive type that babied his, plus he had two other GTOs and a number of other crazy cars.
 
I never owned one but I drove one off and on for several years. It was a 99 Trans Am with a manual. It was the worst handling modern car I've ever driven for a car than was loads of fun in a straight line and through sweeping corners.

Aesthetically, I always preferred than gen Trans Am/Formula to the Z28.

There is also the 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO. They are going up in value.

While I appreciate great handling (part of the reason we've had a Miata in this household continuously from mid 1989 to the present day) I don't do as much spirited driving anymore so I doubt the live axle rear is really going to bother me much.

As mentioned above I've some real loves and hates (ok.... prefer / don't prefer) with specific styling bits on these. My ideal body would be a 95 Formula front end and fenders with a Z-28 rear end. LS1, 6-speed convertible with light colored cloth interior. That would fit me to a tee. But of course that doesn't exist......

I like that era of GTO, however there's NO CONVERTIBLE .....so..... Plus the investment value isn't my primary consideration. I want something to drive and rack up the miles.
 
Back
Top Bottom