• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tenma soldering station

PatA

Super Member
I can get these from a local supplier, he advertises on craigslist and sells them on ebay. The one I see most is model #21-7945. they seem like a heck of a deal at about $35.00, does anyone use this model or similar Tenma models?
 
Register to hide this ad
That's looks interesting... thanks for the heads up but from what I've read it's aimed at use in the classroom because of it's low cost and durability.
 
What sort of tips do they use, and how available are they? I have a fairly high wattage pencil of an off brand that has long been my favorite iron. I finally manged to get it working again a few days ago with a kluged Weller tip. I hate not being able to find tips...
 
I've never tried Tenma, although I've seen their product in MCM.

I've had Weller soldering stations in the past, and had had 100% bad luck with them.

I've used Xytronics for many years, and have had very little trouble with them, and have been able always to get replacement parts the minute I need them.

Not much more to say....
 
For a budget iron, use the Weller WLC100 mcm# 21-3475. If you want a pro station, the Hakko 936 mcm # 94-575 is the one to get.
 
Reviews don't look so good on these. I've been satisfied with the Weller irons, but I need something more serious. I'll look into the Weller 21-3475, thanks.
 
Just doing some quick checking I see the Weller for around $45.00 best price. That's gotta be the way to go.
 
Frys had a special on Hakko's earlier this week. 936 for $50. They are fairly easy to get tips for. You have my luck. Had you posted yesterday I could have clued you in before the sale ended.:tears:

As to Weller, the production models that use the magnetic temperature tips are my favorite for moderate cost (130-180). The wtcpt is a current one. I have a older version wtcpn and it's still going strong. The big problem with adjustable temp stations is calibration can go or be out of adjustment. Meaning your tip temperature may be off. HMC Electronics is having a sale on some Weller stations including the aforementioned one. BUT I know nothing about that business. Maybe someone else does? Almost too good prices. Hope that helps.
 
Random comment-

I really miss the solder stations we used where I worked for many years in an aviation instrumentation mfg co.

Some high end Hakko's, and Pace, but the Metcals were the most popular with the assemblers and the QC/cal department.

I use a cheap Radioshack solder gun for non-critical work at home now. :(
 
Hakko 936 happiness!

Stumbled across the Hakko 936 while I was picking up some Caig D5 at Frys. $49 marked down from $89. Not being familiar with Hakko I came home, did some research on that unit and ran right back and bought one:yes:
Set it up and all I can say is :banana::banana: Very fast! Auto temp control! This thing is awesome! Bought a couple extra tips for 10 more dollars and could not be happier.
This is a must have!

Ardvaark
:music:
 
Stumbled across the Hakko 936 while I was picking up some Caig D5 at Frys. $49 marked down from $89. Not being familiar with Hakko I came home, did some research on that unit and ran right back and bought one:yes:
Set it up and all I can say is :banana::banana: Very fast! Auto temp control! This thing is awesome! Bought a couple extra tips for 10 more dollars and could not be happier.
This is a must have!

Ardvaark
:music:

My dad has one. He payed full price, and honestly, it is more than worth full price. I love that thing. :yes:
 
HAKKO'S are very good. I used them for years, and still have the hot air station.

But if you want to get SERIOUS...... METCAL.


BTW, Tenma is crap.
 
I have a Wal-Mart sourced "Popular Mechanics" iron with a jury-rigged Weller tip on it. Surprisingly enough, this combo works very well...I guess it proves that even crap can work fine. That said, I'm still looking for a pro-grade adjustable iron for a decent price with available tips. Why doesn't soldering equipment ever show up on FreeCycle? :D
 
The soldering station and dvm are kinda the mainstay of your service bench. Get a Weller and a Fluke, there are some decent equivalents but why mess around with some harbor freight, flea market specials. Heck you can solder with a screwdriver and a hot stove.
 
The ironic thing about soldering irons is that the less experienced you are, the more you need a good quality one. It's very easy to over heat a component, or make a cold solder joint when you're using a cheap soldering iron. Fortunately, good soldering irons don't have to cost much. Just get a name brand temperature controlled station that's calibrated in degrees.

I have a Metcal for surface mount work, and it's great. The tip is heated by RF, and it heats up in only 5 seconds.
 
OKI's new line is pretty hot (no pun intended) It used to be that you couldn't touch a Metcal for under $500 and these are in the $200 range. Tips are cheaper too. Pop on over to OKI's website.
 
I can get these from a local supplier, he advertises on craigslist and sells them on ebay. The one I see most is model #21-7945. they seem like a heck of a deal at about $35.00, does anyone use this model or similar Tenma models?

Look on the MCM site, because that's where he gets them.
 
Back
Top Bottom