• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The 250, 500a and 1000 Sansui tube receivers

I wonder what's up with that burned resistor? This looks like an ambitious recap project!
That’s actually an inductor on the ac input. It had major capacitor shorts. After I got it all rebuilt it still tested good even though it was overheated so I left it for now. If I sell it it will be replaced though.
 
Just got the 250 rebuilt and running. Wow I am impressed! Usually on the smaller tube receivers I end up having to turn the bass up but this thing has great tone! The guy before me did some “work” to it. The transformer selector was set to 100v instead of 100v. I was wondering why the tubes were so bright! A few blown resistors including the 2 feeding the mpx section possibly caused by the voltage setting. A few tubes with open filaments. Now it’s all working and sounds great. The fm sounds great and gets great reception. However I can’t tell if the MPX is working correctly. The stupid expensive magic eye ($800 on eBay right now) works as it should. I’m thinking about removing it and holding on to it since it’s worth more than the entire receiver.

Speaking of dangerous voltages. Look at the open output transformer taps. With full b+ on them. Also those 2 big resistors on the chassis have full voltage on them too! IMG_4180.jpegIMG_4178.jpegIMG_4176.jpeg
 
That is a nice trifecta of Sansui tube receivers. I'm curious if you have any issues with the 1000 that are inherent in the design. It has long been my understanding that the 1000 had some problems - notably heat dissipation - which prompted a significant redesign resulting in the 1000A being offered. The 1000 is a rarity, no doubt. I probably see 4 or 5 1000A's around for every "non-A".
The 1000 is rare indeed. We only have 2 1000s in the database base. By contrast we have 44 1000As. To be fair, the 1000A was in production much longer then the 1000.

- Pete
 
The 1000 is rare indeed. We only have 2 1000s in the database base. By contrast we have 44 1000As. To be fair, the 1000A was in production much longer then the 1000.

- Pete
With at least two versions of the 1000 non-A, there must surely be more survivors. The early 1000 was somewhat a new style smaller SM-80, with naked OPTs instead of potted, and an MPX module replacing the second simulcast tuner. The later one is similar but internally closer resembled the 1000A.
 
There are certainly more 1000s out there but only 2 serial numbers have been posted to the database. The serial numbers on the tube equipment of this era are typically ink stamps on the back of the chassis. Also there was some discussion on some of the early units being sold as kits. If so, they probably would not have a serial number. Here are the serial numbers for the two we have on file: SF6198 and SF6484

For what it's worth, the production of 1000As made the transition from ink stamp serial number to paper labels. It was one of the few models to make the transition to paper labels starting in 1965. So the actual production started before '65 and continued until around February '69.

I'd sure like to have the serial numbers for the units highlighted in this thread. :biggrin:

- Pete
 
I find it surprising only two 1000's are in the database. I see them for sale periodically (thought not what I'd call frequently or even routinely, by any means) so I'd have thought more serials would've been picked off and proved by one of the members here who combs online listings for numbers to submit. That said, I've found serial numbers are often missing from pre 1967 gear. I have three TR-707A receivers here and none has a serial sticker. I surmise the paper tag was stuck to the perforated part of the rear panel, and ended up coming off at some point and being lost. The ink stamp SN's were probably a bit more reliable in the mid 60's, though I don't own anything old enough to have one, save for my Q-3535 (1958), and it has no visible serial number anywhere I've found.
 
The two 1000s on file were gleaned off of auction sites. We have a truly international community of AK members that "harvest" serial numbers from auction sites around the world every month. Last month AK members posted 872 serial numbers which resulted in 696 new serial numbers and 5 new models added to the database. Finding these serial numbers is totally dependent on the quality of photos posted with the auction listing. There needs to be a clear photo of the back panel showing the serial number. Many auction listings simply don't show the serial number.

The TR-707A is another Sansui product that made the transition from ink stamp to paper labels. They got paper labels around August '65. We have 3 on file with ink stamp serial numbers so production started before August '65 and continued to about August '67. The ink stamp serial numbers were put directly on the chassis usually on the lower right. They are typically 6 digits like RG1363.

- Pete
 
Well I’ve sold the 500a and added a 500. It uses the same output tubes as the 250 so I’m interested to find out the difference between them.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4662.jpeg
    IMG_4662.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4663.jpeg
    IMG_4663.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom