• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The "$250" Amp? - 6LU8 Compactron SE, UL

The volume thing could just be an impedance mismatch between the CDP and POT like you eluded to, earlier. Do you have any other POTs available?
 
What is the voltage at your wall and what is the primary tap of your power transformer? That's a pretty high voltage change, but if you had 125v going into a 115v primary, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect 30v or so higher than rated power.
 
Is your heater voltage high? Thats probably a good safe way to know that you have too much voltage hitting the primary.
 
Maybe the 108ma load in your model is too high? I don't know what the load should be, so you could be dead on. Also, what is the primary voltage on your PT?
 
Hrmm...well, it sounds like the primary is probably pretty damn close to 117v if you are dead on with your heater voltages.
 
it's probably rated 275V @ some Amperage, or load. Wall voltage being higher, and with no load, you'll see higher V.
 
Also.. The Edcors do not have a 7 & 9 Post...Instead they have 2 & 4, but I've read that this should not matter....Or Does it??
 
The voltages inside the amp sound about right so I'd suggest you have it wired correctly.

The high voltage comes from the first cap being 25uf, a 10uf cap should lower you more
closer to the design goal, a 7uf cap is what we suggest to get you right on, but again it
doesn't tremendously matter as like I said there is some leeway. (I would use 10 or lower)

I would wire around/remove your pot and do the input like the schem to make sure your
working correctly, then if so figure out what is going on with the volume pot afterwords.
 
My Edcors have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, on the top with taps at 1, 3, 5.

On the bottom, (looking at it from the bottom of the tranny) I have 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.
with taps at 7 and 9.

If your looking strictly from the top 2 would be 7 on the bottom, and 4 would be 9.

I hope that wasn't to confusing. :)
 
Swell.....I have 117V @ the Wall, And 293V from the Tranny! It's a Hammond 270FX 550VCT...Why oh Why?

I have read many complaints from Hammond users that their PS trannies run much higher than the specs, as much as 10%. Add the fact that wall voltages are quite often over 120. I just measured 122.5V here at home, and have seen 124+ often.

Jeff
 
Well, I bypassed the Alps....Still plays Low Volume with Marantz 7T PreAmp & Klipsch 1.1 2-Ways...Any Ideas?
 
A few things I can think of checking.

(resistance measurements)
With the amp off and unplugged, no voltage present. (all tubes removed)

-------------

The input resistor size:

With a meter probe in the RCA jack touching just the center.
What do you measure from input to ground? And from input to pin 10?
Then from pin 10 to ground?

-------------------------

What do you measure from pin 6 to ground then from pin 7 to ground?

-----------------------------------------

What do you measure from pin 11 to ground?

----------------------------------------------

Output tube cap:
Double check your cap goes from the cathode (pin 9) to ground.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Double check the value of R3, if it's to small (maybe 2.7K instead of 270K)
you'll have eccess feedback and the amp would play very very low then.

--
Let me know what you get on all of those and we'll go from there.
 
It Works!! Go figure...I hooked up RS Full Rangers and after wiggling the bananas a bunch, it started to kick in. The more I fussed with them the better it got. It's Sounding Great now, and getting better, but has 325V B+. The Speaker jacks are new from Futurlec....Cheap In...Cheap Out...
 
Back
Top Bottom