• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The 80s, a great Decade for music

That's actually the back side cover of their first album... I love their rendition of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire".

I was lucky enough to see those guys and girls on your list play at the local downtown clubs
The way the photo is taken it looks really big.

Hey maybe I saw you at some of those clubs. Wildest concert was the Dead Kennedy's, TSOL, and 45 Grave at the Palladium. Were you there? I was at the concert in my avatar.
 
The way the photo is taken it looks really big.

Hey maybe I saw you at some of those clubs. Wildest concert was the Dead Kennedy's, TSOL, and 45 Grave at the Palladium. Were you there? I was at the concert in my avatar.

The Clash were my favorite British punk band. They had diverse "world music" flavor that seemed quite exotic. I saw them at the Santa Monica Civic and listened to them do a TV show taping in Silverlake,CA.
Most of the other bands I heard played a small, really small venue, Al's Bar. Fun times:D
 
Some that I really enjoy....

586084966_d0abfd5d11_m.jpg
4257906001_543a400970_m.jpg
3846892865_00cb9a423b_m.jpg

3844817438_256e389034_m.jpg
586175554_27818f87b4_m.jpg
4255341753_e8cf3094f1_m.jpg

4321573662_c866cea8d3_m.jpg
3910229123_077df7ca62_m.jpg
3872281966_a7164e86ea_m.jpg
 
Last edited:
And let's not forget The Go-Gos:)
The first time I saw the Go Go's was at a X concert. They were very much a part of the L.A. punk scene.

I forgot one, Oingo Boingo.

From Only A Lad

Johnny was bad, even as a child everybody could tell
Everyone said if you don't get straight
You'll surely go to hell

Oingo_Boingo-Only_a_Lad.jpg
 
the 60's versus 80's thread made me pull up this from way last week.

don't forget Green On Red and mrs spideyjack sez don't forget the f**king Time.
 
to me the 80's were all about the metal. From the NWOBHM to hair metal, it was just fun music.

Iron Maiden
Metallica
Megadeath
Dio
Judas Priest
Quiet Riot
Ratt
Queensryche
Scorpions
Europe
Poison
Twisted Sister
Anvil
Anthrax
White Lion
Great White
Falco (how'd that get in there?)
Whitesnake
WASP
Motley Crue

I could go on but this will do it for me

http://www.i80s.com/80s_metal/metal_main.html
 
Perhaps to some but to me the 70s will always be the best decade for music.Being born in 1961 I was 20 years old in 1981 so it's not like it was I was out of touch agewise.

Me too! I was old enough to understand Woodstock and remember the fuss it caused, old enough to remember NEW Beatles songs on the radio. I wasn't too old to embrace the 80's and bands like The Cure (Disintegration is the best album of the 80's) and Echo & The Bunnymen. However, nothing will ever out do the 70's for pure rock 'n roll bliss. Growing up in the 70's was awesome! I would not trade that for anything: hip huggers, muscle cars, rock'n roll, and some easy-going times.
 
The eighties gave rise to the Rap/Hip-Hop phenomenon that blossomed(sic) into a worldwide fashion that still rages today...30 years and going. I suppose there were many reasons for this to occur.
 
The eighties gave rise to the Rap/Hip-Hop phenomenon that blossomed(sic) into a worldwide fashion that still rages today...30 years and going. I suppose there were many reasons for this to occur.

good point

that seems the legacy of the 80's more than anything
 
good point

that seems the legacy of the 80's more than anything

sure, and alternative rock.


I also think alt-country got it's start in the 80's with Rank And File and to a lesser extent the debut albums by Steve Earl and Lyle Lovet.
 
sure, and alternative rock.


I also think alt-country got it's start in the 80's with Rank And File and to a lesser extent the debut albums by Steve Earl and Lyle Lovet.

I know alternative started in the 80's but really isn't it really a 90's genre?

It's why I like the 90's more than the 80's.
 
I know alternative started in the 80's but really isn't it really a 90's genre?

It's why I like the 90's more than the 80's.

It became popular in the 90's for sure, but lot's of those bands started in the 80's. All of them built on the work of bands who slogged through the American underground of the 80's, some of whom made it to the 90's some didn't.
 
I know alternative started in the 80's but really isn't it really a 90's genre?

It's why I like the 90's more than the 80's.

My first thought when I heard bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam was wow, these guys sound like about 100 bands I saw and small clubs in the mid 80s. Actually, that is another part of the 80s I forgot about, the huge alternative music club scene.
 
Flipper.
Minutemen.

I don't think I've seen these two yet (though it's funny how people are always wrong when they make that statement).

But for me the 'Mats redeem the whole decade, if it needed redeeming.

Hey I just noticed this thread is almost 5 years old. Good times.
 
Last edited:
Ummm...Rap and Hip Hop go further back than the 80s. Rappers Delight was released in 1979 but the phenomenom had to have been around for longer for it to make it's way onto a record. It did gain real momentum by the late 80s but it started in the 70s.
 
Back
Top Bottom