• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The 90's Playlist

41ADZ7BN4YL._SL500_AA300_.jpg


Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live

I listened to it on the ride down to Baltimore this morning. I got into PG probably around 95 or so, with the So album, then going back to the older stuff, and then into the newer stuff (Us, Up). I liked a lot of the singles off Us, but it was very 'world beat.' Not bad, but not what I prefer. Up, released a couple years back, is much better, but that's a 2000 album.

So, now I've posted about a 90's album I acutally listened to. :banana:

Yay! I meant no offense, just want to keep the thread on track (or at least not have it become just a list of 90's albums no one is currently listening to as they post them).

I'm still getting into PG. I have most of his stuff from old to new.


Heh. Strangely enough, Hey Man Nice Shot came on just as I was reading this. On a random playlist of about 20,000 songs, that's pretty strange indeed.

Actually it's not. That is, this occurrence is due to the laws of statistical probability and totally normal and to be expected actually. Out of all the people listening to random music there will literally be dozens? hundreds? thousands? listening to the same album/song at any one time (and the more popular the song/album the more who will be listening to the same material at the same time). It just seems unusual because it happened to you (confirmation bias). But it literally statistically had (or was very probable) to happen to someone by sheer "chance" or statistical law, just as every seemingly bizare coincidence must. It is thus not statistically significant (something occurring that is not due to mere numerical probability alone).

Richard Dawkins explains this interesting, but totally prosaic, phenomena (and even gives it a acronym: Petwhac) in detail in the chapter "Unweaving the Uncanny" in his book "Unweaving the Rainbow". Good stuff if you can get a hold of it.

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Unweaving_the_Rainbow#2.


Anyway...:D


Aimee Mann - Whatever (1993)


album-whatever.jpg
 
Yay! I meant no offense, just want to keep the thread on track (or at least not have it become just a list of 90's albums no one is currently listening to as they post them).

I'm still getting into PG. I have most of his stuff from old to new.

I'm about as un-offendable as you can get. No worries! It was I that stormed in and just posted a bunch of albums from the 90s I like. I think I'm going to listen to this one on the way down to Delaware...

Pearl%2Bjam_yield.jpg
 
7386272111Blind_Melon_Nico_1996.jpg


Blind Melon - Nico

The version of "Soup" on this album is absolutely fabulous. Also a great interpretation of "The Pusher".
 
I can't believe it has been a few years since I have listened to this one, I almost wore the disc out fall 98/spring 99:


41mhNqwPUJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg



System of a Down - System of a Down (1998)
 
I'm about as un-offendable as you can get. No worries! It was I that stormed in and just posted a bunch of albums from the 90s I like.

Good! Because it certainly wasn't my intention to offend. I just was wondering if with all the chattering going on in the thread some may have been confused and thought it was a "list the music you enjoy/ed in/from the 90's" thread and I didn't want it to turn into that. That's all. I've seen many post lists of artists in other playlist threads (even those with many pages and little chatter) so it is a common mistake.

No big deal at all. :thmbsp:

I think I'm going to listen to this one on the way down to Delaware...

Pearl%2Bjam_yield.jpg

That was the first Pearl Jam I didn't buy soon after it came out. I quit them after No Code. That is until recently when I decided to give them another chance. It wasn't so much their fault as by the late 90's, as I've said, I kind of started ignoring new music and sticking to what I had already accumulated. I've only heard that album (and all subsequent ones) a few times and can't even name a song off of it.


Listening to my favorite album of the 90's:


412JBCBB51L._SL500_AA300_.jpg



Nine Inch Nails - Downward Spiral (1994):music:

:thmbsp: I'm going to play that soon.


Jethro Tull - Catfish Rising (1991)


cover_5512152292009.jpg


Not a very "90's" sound, but a '91 release the same. Kind of similar to their other two previous albums, a hard rock/blues release that sounds somewhat like Dire Straits (the guitar playing and vocals) at times. My first listen, it's ok, not offensive but not very engaging either. I remember seeing it back in the public library when I was in high school and liking the cover and hating the title. Didn't even give it a listen back then, but seems I didn't miss much (imo, so far, after the early 80's--some would say late 70's--Tull releases are unessential even to a fairly big Tull fan as I. jmo).
 
Since I listened to Downward Spiral yesterday,


31hfj6eWhvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg



Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile (1999)


Haven't listened to it in a while, had almost forgotten what an amazing album it is :thmbsp:
 
Here's some 90s Canadian Indie! I could spam three of these threads because of that, but I'll just post it here.

Plumtree - Mass Teen Fainting (1995)

515xDwkUeRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg


Plumtree - Predicts the Future (1997)

8684993.jpg
 
51DCRZP8RGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg



Sneaker Pimps - Becoming X (1997)


Yea, now you're posting bands I've never even heard of! I've been officially owned lol. (Like I said, my 90's collection isn't so great).


Here's some 90s Canadian Indie! I could spam three of these threads because of that, but I'll just post it here.

Welcome to the thread Buick! :thmbsp:

Go ahead and spam all the threads you want, that way I'll make sure to see what you post. :yes:


INXS - Welcome To Wherever You Are (1992)


welcome+to+wherever+you+are.jpg


Their last good album imo.
 
Yea, now you're posting bands I've never even heard of! I've been officially owned lol. (Like I said, my 90's collection isn't so great).

I am not sure if that would be your type of music or not, but they are one of my favorites. They had one small hit off of that album, Six Undergound, that was in a few soundtracks. That was their first, and was a little different than their later releases, but still good.

Starting the morning with:

51EsDb5UUCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg


Mad Season - Above (1995)

This is a great album. Alice in Chains was always my favorite of the "Seattle" bands, and I loved the sound of Layne Staley's vocals. A shame how he threw it all away, what a waste:thumbsdn:
 
I am not sure if that would be your type of music or not, but they are one of my favorites.

I'm open to most anything that is rock/pop oriented (and I like some classical, blues, and jazz as well) besides some ska, punk and nu-metal. And I'll still try bands in those genres.

Starting the morning with:

51EsDb5UUCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg


Mad Season - Above (1995)

This is a great album. Alice in Chains was always my favorite of the "Seattle" bands, and I loved the sound of Layne Staley's vocals. A shame how he threw it all away, what a waste:thumbsdn:

Oh man am I embarrassed, I never even knew Staley was involved in a side project! AIC is one of my favorites of the period/genre as well. Have you heard the new AIC btw? Pretty good imo, besides the sub-par mastering. :no:


Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith and Devotion (1993)


Depeche-Mode--Songs-of-faith-and-devotion-1993Full-album-192.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom