• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The 90's Playlist

I'm open to most anything that is rock/pop oriented (and I like some classical, blues, and jazz as well) besides some ska, punk and nu-metal. And I'll still try bands in those genres.



Oh man am I embarrassed, I never even knew Staley was involved in a side project! AIC is one of my favorites of the period/genre as well. Have you heard the new AIC btw? Pretty good imo, besides the sub-par mastering. :no:


Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith and Devotion (1993)


Depeche-Mode--Songs-of-faith-and-devotion-1993Full-album-192.jpg

^ That Mode album is awesome. It is a regular listen for me.

I could tell from your first few posts that you were an AIC fan, so you got to check out Mad Season. Layne Staley with some of the guys from Pearl Jam and Screaming Trees, really great songs way beyond the only one that got airplay: "River of Deceit".

I have not heard the new AIC album in its entirety, I need to. What I have heard I liked though.

Since we are talking about the mixing of Seattle bands, I just dusted this one off and put it in the player:

518P0F1DBGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg


Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog (1991)
 
I have not heard the new AIC album in its entirety, I need to. What I have heard I liked though.

Since we are talking about the mixing of Seattle bands, I just dusted this one off and put it in the player:

518P0F1DBGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg


Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog (1991)

The new AIC is pretty good. Temple of the Dog is great. In a way, had it not been for Andy Wood, there'd be no Pearl Jam. However, the song "Crown of Thorns" is amazing (see the Singles Soundtrack, previously mentioned).
 
^ That Mode album is awesome. It is a regular listen for me.

I got it way back when, but still don't think it is as good as Violator imo.

I could tell from your first few posts that you were an AIC fan, so you got to check out Mad Season. Layne Staley with some of the guys from Pearl Jam and Screaming Trees, really great songs way beyond the only one that got airplay: "River of Deceit".

I will, thanks for posting it!

I have not heard the new AIC album in its entirety, I need to. What I have heard I liked though.

Buy it, now! Even with the hot mix (thanks to Nick R., whom I know of via Rush--he worked on their, imo, masterful Snakes and Arrows, and it has some crackling! :mad:--but he seems to influence bands well music wise--and he's a huge Rush fan--even if he is deaf and shouldn't be behind the controls!) it's a great album. I was impressed right away.


The new AIC is pretty good. Temple of the Dog is great.

:yes:


Megadeth - Rust In Peace (1990, '04 reissue/remaster/bonus tracks)


rust+in+peace.jpg


Somehow missed this one back in the day. As I think I've said I had Countdown and that was it until very recently when I got back into metal. Great album, should of gotten it a long time ago (as well as many other classic 'Deths: but I just wasn't much of a fan back then for whatever reason).
 
Buy it, now! Even with the hot mix (thanks to Nick R., whom I know of via Rush--he worked on their, imo, masterful Snakes and Arrows, and it has some crackling! :mad:--but he seems to influence bands well music wise--and he's a huge Rush fan--even if he is deaf and shouldn't be behind the controls!) it's a great album. I was impressed right away.

Megadeth - Rust In Peace (1990, '04 reissue/remaster/bonus tracks)


rust+in+peace.jpg


Somehow missed this one back in the day. As I think I've said I had Countdown and that was it until very recently when I got back into metal. Great album, should of gotten it a long time ago (as well as many other classic 'Deths: but I just wasn't much of a fan back then for whatever reason).

^ A metal classic, I listened to it alot back in the day. I probably could not count how many times I watched the video for Holy Wars and Hangar 18 on Headbanger's Ball :thmbsp:


Your metal choice has inspired me, I just put in this one:

51Jy8EoV8kL._SL500_AA300_.jpg


Prong - Cleansing (1994)

Probably my favorite album from them, with Prove You Wrong being a close second
 
51UUD%2BQJo%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg


Lost Highway Soundtrack - Various Artists (1997)

Great songs from Nine Inch Nails (one of my favorite songs from them), Smashing Pumpkins, David Bowie, Marilyn Manson, and Rammstein.
 
^ A metal classic, I listened to it alot back in the day. I probably could not count how many times I watched the video for Holy Wars and Hangar 18 on Headbanger's Ball :thmbsp:

I didn't get to watch HB much, parent's were anti-cable (not because of religious/moral reasons, just to keep my sister and I away from the tv lol).

But I did manage to catch it over at friend's houses sometimes.

Your metal choice has inspired me, I just put in this one:

51Jy8EoV8kL._SL500_AA300_.jpg


Prong - Cleansing (1994)

Probably my favorite album from them, with Prove You Wrong being a close second

I remember the name, little else. Another to re-check out.


The Cranberries - Bury the Hatchet (1999)

BuryTheHatchet.jpg

:thmbsp:


Ozzy Osbourne - Ozzmosis (1995)


4446.jpg


Ozzy's last good album? :scratch2: Or rather last good handful of songs? Like every Ozzy album there are the hits which are really good and then there's the rest which is mediocre imo.
 
Digging through a book of cd's that I haven't listened to in a long time I found another really good 90's soundtrack:

41H5dwMniXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg



Spawn Soundtrack - Various Artists (1997)

Not a great movie, but a really cool soundtrack. Each song puts together mismatched artists (kind of like the Judgement Night soundtrack tried to do, but this one does it better) that for the most part comes out pretty good. Songs by Filter/Crystal Method, Marilyn Manson/Sneaker Pimps, Korn/Dust Brothers and others.
 
Rush - Test For Echo (1996)


b_12271_Rush-Test_For_Echo-1996.jpg


Another mid 90's Rush release. Though it sounds more "Rush-like" than the somewhat generic rock of Counterparts, much of the time the song writing isn't as strong with some cornball lyrics and songs that drag. However, at least it sounds distinct, "like Rush", so in a way it's a better album than Counterparts imo since although Counterparts has some great songs, overall it lacks that unique Rush touch. I also really like Geddy's vocals on this album.

A good album compared to all other music, but, for Rush, just a mediocre album, and, with Counterparts, the debut Rush album, and Caress of Steel, one of my least favorite (so I only listen to it about once/twice a month lol).
 
Classics

91' 90' the bomb.

Janes-RITUAL DE LO HABITUAL Aug 1990

SY-GOO-June 1990
(good, but 88's Nothing's Shocking is better).

Dino Jr's GREEN MIND 1991 (J Mascis the best)

imhothe only band that actually continued to evolve music (different) after these years was Korn.​
 

Attachments

  • janes.jpg
    janes.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 3
  • goo.jpg
    goo.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DinosaurJrGreenMind.jpg
    DinosaurJrGreenMind.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 4
Bowie's '90's stuff is weird. Hard for me to get into so far. As it is I think '83's Let's Dance was his last great album (it's one of my favorites of his). But I need to listen to his later stuff more.

I can see your point about Bowie's 90's work, but for me, I honestly like all of his stuff. Admittedly, my favorite albums of his are probably Let's Dance and earlier, but I also appreciate his later stuff.

Speaking of Bowie (or his influence I should say), I just put this one in:




Marilyn Manson - Mechanical Animals (1998)

A great album, definitely Bowie 70's-glam inspired. It is a real toss-up as to whether this or Antichrist Superstar is my favorite album of his.
 
I can see your point about Bowie's 90's work, but for me, I honestly like all of his stuff. Admittedly, my favorite albums of his are probably Let's Dance and earlier, but I also appreciate his later stuff.

Yea, and it's jmo. I just find his 90's on material hard to get into (and his 80's stuff after Let's Dance uninspiring), like what the hell am I listening to? :scratch2:


Bruce Springsteen - Human Touch (1992)


616gRJSPGlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
 
Yea, and it's jmo. I just find his 90's on material hard to get into (and his 80's stuff after Let's Dance uninspiring), like what the hell am I listening to? :scratch2:

I know what you mean. Definitely alot different than the early stuff, and not quite as focused.


518HWZR9EYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg



Sarah McLachlan - Fumbling Towards Ecstasy (1994)

I have always loved her voice and the way she plays piano, and this album sounds excellent though my Ohm's :music:
 
31Cr0IkPZIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg


Orgy - Candyass (1998)

A different mix of vocals and synths, from a band that I think only had 2 albums. Cool cover of New Order's Blue Monday (which is what caused me to check them out in late 98', as I have always like the 80's New Order stuff), overall a good listen.
 
Back
Top Bottom