• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The beauty of Bogen

beautiful equipment....WoW

Looks like museum quality...

That Bogen you traded for was a great deal...congrats. :thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
Beautiful amps. Those 7355 tubes are really hard to come by these days!

I had an RP-60 which also ran 7355 tubes. It was a fantastic sounding receiver. I modified it to run 7591xyz tubes which worked quite nicely. I'm sure that the new 7591s could be made to work as well.
 
5881's are a bit closer of a sub. The 7591xyz was basically a re-based 5881, which, handily, is what a 7355 is already. The 7591xyz happened to have a virtually identical pinout to the original 7355, making it a right fine sub with no mods needed.

I was close to re-wiring my DS-225 for 5881 tubes, but I came into a sleeve of NOS GE tubes for small coin. By the time I figured up the cost of a new quad of tubes plus my time to rewire the bases, the NOS tubes were the choice. The difference was like 20 bucks, and I figured my time was worth that much.
 
5881's are a bit closer of a sub. The 7591xyz was basically a re-based 5881, which, handily, is what a 7355 is already. The 7591xyz happened to have a virtually identical pinout to the original 7355, making it a right fine sub with no mods needed.

I was close to re-wiring my DS-225 for 5881 tubes, but I came into a sleeve of NOS GE tubes for small coin. By the time I figured up the cost of a new quad of tubes plus my time to rewire the bases, the NOS tubes were the choice. The difference was like 20 bucks, and I figured my time was worth that much.

Type 7355 has about 30% more gm than a 5881/6L6...not so sure I'd call t a re-based 5881. That and they look nothing like 5881's; it looka to be in between 7591 and 6L6...nice tubes in any case...:)
cheers,
Douglas
 
A few days ago I answered an ad for a trade. The owner had a beautiful Bogen RP-230 and was wanting a large SS amp or receiver. I, rather painfully, offered my mint Yamaha CR-2020. Not an easy decision but the deal was made. I just couldn't help myself, the Bogen was so gorgeous. It sounds beautiful. Has GE made Bogen stamped 7408's. This is my first and only experience with Bogen and I am truly impressed.

Any other Bogen owners care to comment on what you have and post pics, if you like.

TS
I'm a Bogen owner of several units, seems to be a very nice piece of gear.

May have been manufactured at the (Bogen) Lear Zigler Factory in Paramus, N.J.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=264946

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YaUGWaRI6g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llglSm9rOKs
 
I'm a Bogen owner of several units, seems to be a very nice piece of gear.

May have been manufactured at the (Bogen) Lear Zigler Factory in Paramus, N.J.

Zandru, thanks for the links. Yes, the RP-230 was made at Lear Ziegler, stamped on the chassis. What units do you have?

Thanks again to everyone for the nice comments and discussion.

TS
 
My modest Bogen collection, all in very fine operational condition.

(4) MO-200A

(1) DB-110G

(1) DB-212

(1) DB-230

That is a fabulous collection. The 200A's are absolute monsters. A quad of those babies. Wow. How about a pic or thread if already here?
 
I've got a rebuilt AP-200 integrated that uses the 7355 tubes (all my originals still test strong). It's my only tube amp at the moment and, within its power limits, it creates a lovely soundstage and delivers a silky, open sound.
 
Posted b4, but here is my DCG modded Bogen MO200a converted to 6550's and 100+ wpc.

attachment.php
 
I've got a rebuilt AP-200 integrated that uses the 7355 tubes (all my originals still test strong). It's my only tube amp at the moment and, within its power limits, it creates a lovely soundstage and delivers a silky, open sound.

That's about all I could ask for, sound wise. Sounds like you picked a star for your only tube.

rpampt, that is gorgeous eye candy. Candy apple red. Muy bonita.
 
Posted b4, but here is my DCG modded Bogen MO200a converted to 6550's and 100+ wpc.

attachment.php

Sorry that is way too much amp for you ....

Wow I have heard some early Bogen and at 35 WPC, they were very sweet, I am just trying to imagine what it would sound like having all that reserve power into a set of Khorns or La Scalas...

So how do you manage your days with that permanent wall to wall grin?

Hermit
 
I don't know much about tube amps but I know enough to buy one at an estate sale for 4$.

I know this is a bogen db-110 (g?) and it works. I have it hooked up directly to some old realistic Optimus 1 speakers and have tried all the inputs. I don't know exactly how to use this the most efficient way. It looks to be in very good condition. I wonder what it would be worth if I sold it. The only issue I notice is the small light bulb in front went out since I started using it. All of the tubes light up to some degree but not equally so I don't know what the condition of the tubes are. The 3 big tubes say GE Electronic tube on it.

Can anyone give me some info on this particular amp, how it should be used, and what value it might fetch? Thanks!
uploadfromtaptalk1431487673064.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431487695870.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431487728625.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431487761894.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431487790564.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431487867745.jpg
 
I have a Bogen RF-35 that my father bought new, probably around 1964. At the time, it was considered top-of-the-line. I rarely ever see this model come up. As an amp its great, as a receiver its amazing. The only downside is that it is sometimes difficult to tune in to some stations on the lower end of the dial. But when it does, it sounds so sweet.
 

Attachments

  • 1907662_10152169392980784_5206232278227778010_n.jpg
    1907662_10152169392980784_5206232278227778010_n.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 105
I thought I was pretty much done with buying new stuff but now I want one of those. Thanks a lot!!
 
Back
Top Bottom