• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Best Vintage DD Turntables $200 to $250

I have a Kenwood KD 500 thats been the best TT I've ever owned. I got it from the original owner and I was with him when he bought it new. It has a S tone arm on it and I'm using a Shure cart/stylus on it.

I've seen these TT's for around $200 to $250 on e-Bay with and with out the tone arm.
 
I wouldn't suggest spending "$200 to $250" unless you really want to or have to.

Here's a couple of my yard sale finds. Both happen to be excellent DD turntables.

JVC QL-A7 (had a trashed cartridge) - $5.00

This turntable is now equipped with a Grado ME+ and functions as my dedicated MONO LP/45 turntable.

Kenwood KD-3070 w/Ortofon OM30 - $10.00

In perfect working condition. It's missing a dustcover, but what the heck....only ten bucks.
 

Attachments

  • JVC_QL_A7001.jpg
    JVC_QL_A7001.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 82
  • KenwoodKD3070-010a.jpg
    KenwoodKD3070-010a.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 93
I wouldn't suggest spending "$200 to $250" unless you really want to or have to.

Good advice. My sweet 1979 Technics SL-1200 (1st gen) cost $150 on Craig's List. I bought it from a fellow AK'er too!

I see decent '70s/'80s turntables all over CL for under $100 all the time.
 
Has anyone here had this issue turn up with their 1600Mk2 or 1700Mk2?
I have a 1700MK2 and it works like new, no issues. These are very nice tables that can easily be had for less than $200 and probably closer to $100. I second Hakaplan's suggestion on the Pioneer TT's and have the PL-630.
 
And I'll add the Pioneer PL-9 (TOTL) as my 2 cents. Entirely different internals from the other single digit series and not subject to those dreaded speed fluctuations as a consequence. Yes the upper panel is a composite but I think anyone who owns one will testify to the quality of its performance.

Regardless, good luck with whichever deck you choose.
 
I was not meaning to down talk the SL1600MK II or the SL1700 MkII, I like them both but prefer the SL1800 MKII. I was making the statement to make the op aware to check the operation if he decided to pursue one of those models.
Regards,
Jim
 
Pioneer PL-550, 570, 630, 518, 55DX, 71, 530 are all nice decks if found in good shape.
Most early Technics models using the SL-#### (four digits following, usually starting with a 1 and ending in 00, 01, or 50) are good units...some have a 'cueing belt' that might be problematic if MKII versions.

I have a Pioneer PL-550, 570 and 55DX and like them very much. Also have a Technics SL-1401 that I also really like.
 
I am the original owner of A Technics SLD-202, and have had NO PROBLEMS with it. It is equipped with a Shure M111HE stylus. Sounds great. I have never done anything to it. I guess I should look at the manual as it probably needs oil somewhere. I had a Pioneer PL-518 (my first TT) but , I was looking for something new, and being a "statistics man" back in the day bought a Dual and then the Technics. I wish I still had the Pioneer though.
 
My absolute favorite vintage DD tables are the Dual 714/731Q ULM models (although finding one at your price point may be difficult) With amazing performance and accuracy the fully automatic 731Q sold for ~$750 (with Ortofon 60E) in the early 80s.The slightly the less expensive baby brother the 714Q might even be more desirable given it's semi-automatic simplicity (all of the quartz phase locked Duals have the "Q" suffix)

Other very nice direct drive (but non-Q) Dual models to look out for include the 626, then 622 or 606 that should be available at $250 or less
WOT
 
I getting real fond of my $30 Denon DP-1800, even if I do have to fine tune the speed occasionally. :yes:

pb2400016en7.jpg
 
I think there are a number of very nice TT's in your price range. These come to mind:

Pioneer PL71
JVC QL Y5F or Y7F
or a real sleeper - MCS 6700 which is a Technics 1900 in disguise :)

As you can see, I gravitate towards quartz lock speed controls. I think that is where I'd be looking :)


Hey BrocLuno - for the OP's budget, you should get 3 MCS 6700's. A sleeper it is, but it is the twin of the SL-1950 (if the 1950 were black). I know Howard said it wasn't a changer, but it is. (sorry Howard - don't hit me :D)

If the isolating plinth is that important, Pioneer may be the way to. Technics plinths didn't do the isolating, as much as their feet did - at least on mine.

Rob
 
Luxman.
I have a PD264 that I absolutely love. I believe they were actually built by Micro Seiki
and they are wonderful 'tables. I would, however stick to the PD series. The others might be good, but to me always appeared kinda cheap, IMO.

They generally show up on the auction sites and go for $100-$500 depending on condition and ranking in the series.

Anyhow, that's my input.

Dave
 
Vote fpr the PL-9!

Hey Beej,

Quiet down about the PL-9! I've been able to pick up two of them on Ebay for under fifty bucks with shipping and if you keep telling everyone about how good the table is, the price is gonna go up!

I just picked up the Digitrac cartridge everyone is talking about and I'm going to mount the stylus on my OM-10 to see how it works. It ought to sound pretty good with the low mass tonearm.
 
i favor the dual 1200 series and the elac 50h. but i do love me some luxmans and micro seiki's! oh and the garrard zero 100!
 
Not sure if the Sansui SR-838 has been mentioned or if you're lucky at your price point, a 929. Beautiful tables, big and heavy, but pristine examples can go for more.

The TT you see in my avatar I'm sure hasn't been mentioned, the Tannoy/ Micro TM 55 DD. Rare and beautiful.
 
I have always been fond of separate drive platters and tone arms. You should be able to select a very high quality (used) direct drive platter and tonearm and squeak within higher point of your price range.

I have had 2 denon direct drive platters for over 30 years and have not found a need to go looking for something different in that time.

When it looked like vinyl was going the way of the dinosaur I sold my DDX-1000 but kept my 2 denon drive platters (DP-1500 and DP-3500) and an assortment of tone arms.

I highly doubt that I would sell either of these drive platters.

They are not the "best of the best" but they are more than adequate to spin. All you can ask of a platter is to spin at a consistant rpm and to be quiet (well and to look nice while it is being quiet).

.
 
Not Necessarily. . .

I picked up a Technics 1200 in very good+ shape that had not been used much for well under your target price. Guy DJed for friends events and work events. I did a quick bearing test. Fingers at opposite points on the platter. Zero play that I could perceive. Guy was moving to Texas and low-balled the prices on all his DJ stuff. $50 and we were done. Parked it and months later, after I'd sold the Phillips 212, I brought it to local shop that mounted the Legendary AT440MLa (about 15 minutes before it became Legendary) and set the arm. Kit labor and all brought the cost of the delivered, complete component to $211, not including local drive time (under 30 minutes) and distraction of keeping a hawkeye out for a candidate 1200. I had been watching Craigslist/Boston for 3-4 months at that point and reviewed one other deck which was an abused home-home-only deck the kid believed was worth $150. The 1200 here now just works wonderfully for all literature. Haven't touched or futzed with any of the settings since I placed it on its perch in the study.

A technics 1200 MK 2 sells for more than $ 250 most times unless its abused .
 
Back
Top Bottom