• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Dave Edmunds Appreciation Thread

Quint

Super Member
IMO Dave Edmunds is one of the greatest unsung heroes of rock. Yes, he had a few hits—most notably “I Hear You Knockin’”—but, overall, in the pantheon of rock, he is sorely underappreciated. An incredibly talented guitarist, distinctive singer, and wonderful producer and collaborator, he has definitely made his mark on modern rock music.

My favorite solo moments are Repeat When Necessary, Trax on Wax 4, Information, and his last studio album, Plugged In. As a collaborator, definitely his stuff with Nick Lowe. And as a producer, his work on the Flamin’ Groovies Shake Some Action is brilliant (though the production itself is a bit spongy).

Anyone else into D.E.?
 
Register to hide this ad
I really like Get It which has some of Nick's best songs from that era. Here Comes The Weekend!

It has been about 30 years since I have heard Blues Helping by Love Sculpture, I know there is a nice copy waiting for me somewhere.

Great idea for a thread!
 
Definitely one of my favourite artists of all time. I used to have a copy of Blues Helping, bought it in the 60's, sadly it got taken from me along with my entire 60's and early 70's album collection, by someone who I trusted :( Slowly but surely I am recovering most of them, some as downloads, some as Cd's and the odd LP.
 

Nice. That's a standout performance, even in a city with the world's best (Flamenco) guitar players.

I have Repeat When Necessary, Twangin' and D.E. 7th (and Rockpile). Love me some Dave Edmunds. Repeat When Necessary is a stellar album, from start to finish. The track "Crawling from the Wreckage" is a DE classic, as his his take on Costello's "Girls Talk."

I'd like to have a couple of his albums released prior to Repeat When Necessary. I don't think I've heard any of them.
 
Definitely one of my favourite artists of all time. I used to have a copy of Blues Helping, bought it in the 60's, sadly it got taken from me along with my entire 60's and early 70's album collection, by someone who I trusted :( Slowly but surely I am recovering most of them, some as downloads, some as Cd's and the odd LP.
That's an awesome album IMHO. I saw Love Sculpture perform live back in the late 60's and they did most of those plus quite a few others; terrific concert. Here is their version of Stumble from that album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsPiul5IzhI

I also like their cover of Summertime from that album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L_g...ext=1&list=AVGxdCwVVULXcfEzMm_-AyDLRPM5iP3WA8

Their later works like Sabre Dance were pretty impressive too :yes:
 
I'd like to have a couple of his albums released prior to Repeat When Necessary. I don't think I've heard any of them.


I guarentee you wil love Tracks On Wax & Get It, both are Rockpile LPs in the true sense of the term also Carlene Carter's LP called Musical Shapes, which has one side with Rockpile and a features a duet with DE.
 
Last edited:
I guarentee you wil love Tracks On Wax & Get It, both are Rockpile LPs in the true sense of the term also Carlene Carter's LP calle Musical Shapes, which has one side with Rockpile and a fatures a duet with DE.

Cool. I'll keep my eyes open for them. I think these may necessitate a (good used) record store purchase, rather than patiently waiting for yard sale/thrift pickups.
 
From his days with Love Sculpture, into Rockpile and beyond, Mr. Edmunds has made a significant contribution to things musical and (esp.) twangful. He's an excellent live player & performer, too: Dave, Nick, Billy, and Terry could sure tear it the f***k up on stage. :thmbsp:
 
Don't forget the Rockpile album "Seconds of Pleasure"!

Yup, t’was Seconds of Pleasure. One of my favorite albums of all time. Curiously, it was viewed as an artistic disappointment at the time, and neither Edmunds nor Lower have fond memories of it. Time has proved both them and the critics wrong, I think. It’s aged remarkably well. :yes:

BTW, the remastered CD with the Everly Brothers cover EP sounds awesome!!! :thmbsp:
 
It's a damn shame that Dave has had serious health problems over the last 10 years and is now semi-retired, as far as I know. Has anyone heard anything different?
 
I'm a certifiable DE fan ... I have most all of the titles mentioned and I even have a copy of this:

PorkysRevenge_soundtrack.jpg
 
Wanna know something? I actually have that on a Mobile Fidelity aluminum disc. I found it an estate sale for six bucks!!! The few times I've seen it on eBay, it's going for a LOT more than that. :D
 
Is this your writing? If so, very well done indeed. :tresbon:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/a-pile-of-rock-live-r551579/review

Many thanks for the compliment. Yes, that’s my writing. I was a copyeditor at All Music for close to two years, and toward the end of my tenure there, they asked me if I wanted to do some writing. I jumped at the chance. I wrote about ten reviews, including some about Johnny Thunders and the Only Ones. If you want, check those out. I don’t think much of my writing personally, but I’m glad when others enjoy it! :D
 
Back
Top Bottom