• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The evolution of a basement listening room and building acoustic panels

lokerola

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
It's taken me about two years to get here, but I'm pretty much done with my listening room. Below is a short pictorial history of the remodel. Last weekend I built my first set of acoustic panels. They came out very well I have to say.

The basement is split in a two sections, a front semi-finished section, and rear unfinished section. The rear section was for laundry, home gym, and HVAC stuff. The front section was poorly finished probably 30 or 40 years ago. It was uninsulated, and frankly, kind of scary to be in. My plan was to insulate, run new wiring, fix up sketchy HVAC, and move one wall about 2 feet to get a bit more room in the main area.

The front section is now my dedicated listening room - and I love it!

On to the pics......

Here's where I started. Poor lighting and a creepy basement feel. Notice the pic hanging on the wall. It shows up at the end.
thumbnail_Image (23).jpg


Demo time
thumbnail_Image (24).jpg


Where to put stuff?!
thumbnail_Image (22).jpg


Demo done, now to start remodel
thumbnail_Image (21).jpg


Remodel, insulation, etc

thumbnail_Image (20).jpg


Wife helps with Rockwool. So. Much. Rockwool.
BASEMENT.jpg


Drywall
thumbnail_Image (19).jpg


Floor and lights in!
thumbnail_Image (18).jpg



basement3.jpg


Testing the main gear spot with JBL
thumbnail_Image (17).jpg


Next update will be the panels and final shots of the basement.............
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
OK, now on to the acoustic panel. These are made with 1x6 pine and filled with Rockwool.
thumbnail_Image (16).jpg


thumbnail_Image (15).jpg


Two were all I needed (for now)
thumbnail_Image (14).jpg


I bought broadcloth for the fronts and burlap for the back. I officially hate burlap. You can't cut it evenly, it's more of a battle with it. Anyway, onwards with the pics

thumbnail_Image (13).jpg


thumbnail_Image (12).jpg


thumbnail_Image (9).jpg



thumbnail_Image (11).jpg


So. Many. Staples........

thumbnail_Image (7).jpg


OK, next thread post will be the final pics!
 
The final product! Note the framed print from pic 1 is on the same place on the same wall. I had it reframed and it's looking much better.

It has a mix of store bought and the home built acoustic panels. There are some larger bass traps behind the corner panels. It all sounds fantastic.

The only thing I might add are some ceiling panels. It's a small space and absorption really seems to help the acoustics. I've never taken room measurements, just gone off of my listening.

Well, off to listen to some tunes!!!!!

Gear:
Rogue Audio ST100 amp
Freya+ preamp
APM200 (everyone needs some bouncing VU meter action)
Parasound HD1100 DAC
Bluesound Node2i
Sony CD player
Technics FM tuner
Denon DP-300F table
Schiit mani phono pre
OHM Walsh 2XO speakers
BIC sub
Cables - nothing special....

thumbnail_Image (1).jpg




thumbnail_Image (2).jpg


thumbnail_Image (3).jpg




thumbnail_Image (6).jpg


thumbnail_Image (8).jpg
 
Last edited:
My only question...where is the guitar/bass amp? ;)

But more seriously, what is/are the builds on the baffles in the room corners? My Bose 901's would hate those...:rolleyes:
 
My only question...where is the guitar/bass amp? ;)

Ha, good catch! I've got a small Ampeg SVT-210 cabinet and PF-350 amp in the other room. I'm going to build a little rolling platform for it so I can move it around the room. It's such a small space and I don't want to clutter it up too much.
 
Nice! But what I really think you need for that space is a nice, old, Ampeg B-15 (tube, of course) ;)

Let's hear some James Jamerson :)
 
My only question...where is the guitar/bass amp? ;)

But more seriously, what is/are the builds on the baffles in the room corners? My Bose 901's would hate those...:rolleyes:
@Bill Ashton I never answered your question about the corner panels. Behind those panels are 4 foot tall bass traps. I bought the panels off of Amazon. They’re cheap GIK knockoffs, but do a good job with absorption. The traps I also bought off Amazon.

After we insulated the framing, but before we hung the drywall, I set up a small receiver and a pair of EPI speakers in the room. It sounded amazing with all the absorption from the Rockwool. Like, really, really good.

I knew I wanted to add a lot of absorption and acoustic panels once the room was completed. I was burned out on remodeling and didn’t want to spend time making custom panels or bass traps, and I was also low on budget. So panels from the major acoustic companies wasn’t going to work either. Anyway, that’s how I ended up ordering them from Amazon.

The system has a great synergy right now, and the OHM’s seems to work in the space. I still think the room needs more panels, so my next project will be panels for the ceiling and one more panel for the side wall.

Thanks!
 
@Bill Ashton I never answered your question about the corner panels. Behind those panels are 4 foot tall bass traps. I bought the panels off of Amazon. They’re cheap GIK knockoffs, but do a good job with absorption. The traps I also bought off Amazon.

After we insulated the framing, but before we hung the drywall, I set up a small receiver and a pair of EPI speakers in the room. It sounded amazing with all the absorption from the Rockwool. Like, really, really good.

I knew I wanted to add a lot of absorption and acoustic panels once the room was completed. I was burned out on remodeling and didn’t want to spend time making custom panels or bass traps, and I was also low on budget. So panels from the major acoustic companies wasn’t going to work either. Anyway, that’s how I ended up ordering them from Amazon.

The system has a great synergy right now, and the OHM’s seems to work in the space. I still think the room needs more panels, so my next project will be panels for the ceiling and one more panel for the side wall.

Thanks!
Glad I found your thread. I have been looking at those panels on Amazon for my new space. Same reasons, doing a whole house remodel while getting g the room set up.
 
Glad I found your thread. I have been looking at those panels on Amazon for my new space. Same reasons, doing a whole house remodel while getting g the room set up.

@GChief , one thing to note is how many of these damn things I have in the room. I have the following:
2 bass traps in the corners
12 of the darker 2x2 panels. 8 are in the front of the room (4 per wall) in front of the bass traps, and 4 on a back corner wall
4 of the lighter panels, 2 on each side wall, and 2 on the back wall behind the listening spot.
4 of the white foam diffusers, 2 on each side wall.
2 of the big pine panels I built myself.

At this point the store-bought foam panels with the fake wood fronts helped - but it was really the big Rockwool panels I built that made the biggest immediate impact on sound quality. If I had to do it all over again I would probably skip the store bought stuff and build more of my own panels.

EDIT - I have grown to really like the look of the store bought panels. They’re almost like art to me at this point. Would a more expensive set of panels from one of the big acoustic companies done a better job of absorption? Yea, probably. But these do work for absorption and I like how they look. YMMV!
 
Last edited:
James Jamerson! A FunkBrother, he had some amazing chops.
Standing in the shadows of motown great Doc
Definitely! Jameson was amazing. I’m a hack bass player and can hold down a blues shuffle, but that’s where my musical ability ends.
 
I have grown to really like the look of the store bought panels. They’re almost like art to me at this point. Would a more expensive set of panels from one of the big acoustic companies done a better job of absorption? Yea, probably. But these do work for absorption and I like how they look. YMMV!
Thanks!! I have been looking at other store bought panels also. They need to be "art" since they are in the main living room. The GFAF will only go some far with plain panels. But she is all about me doing what I need to do.
 
Back
Top Bottom