• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The German government is urging people to abandon Internet Explorer

frankxbe

Super Member
Banned
The German government is urging people to abandon Internet Explorer to avoid zero-day attacks currently circulating in the wild. Microsoft is scrambling to develop a patch to address the problem. The dirty secret, though, is the attack relies on Java being present, so Java—not Internet Explorer—is the Achilles heel of this equation.

read more :
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2010...ou-abandon-internet-explorer.html#tk.nl_today

Maybe they are being over cautious (throwing the baby out with the bathwater ) if you will but I thought I would post it anyway.
The Java thing is old news and browser vulnerabilities are nothing new .

I use Chrome 21 and Firefox 15 mostly both with Java disabled.
I've been using Chrome and Firefox as a preference for years anyway.

Important to keep windows and whatever browsers and antivirus programs
along with malware scanners (like Malwarbytes) in use updated along with flash or any other installed plugins . I would imagine the same would be true for Mac and Linux users .

Some programs such as the Audacity on line help menu and others use IE by default , I have IE9 . I get around that by using Audacity Wiki with another browser but sometimes IE is a necessary evil.
I only use it when nothing else will work .

Seems that Oracle may be treating the Java as a low priority since they inherited it from Sun. So far they have not issued a Java fix that works yet.
 
Register to hide this ad
I cannot find ANY information how dangerous the situation REALLY is and I am very angry about it.

Throwing the baby without the bathwater? I hope it is just a lot of German Angst what makes the issue so big. This is what German Microsoft officials say: "Calm down people, there are only few attacks up to now."

Anyway I am also a bit uncertain, and perhaps I should currently use more Firefox than Windows 7. So folks in the far cool distance - how do you estimate the situation?

:scratch2:
 
I think internet explore is a bit of a joke and haven't used it since way way back on an xp machine before I first switched to firefox and then to chrome.

Love that the german government is doing this. But still not as cool as this.

kogantaxmain.jpg
 
funny...never heard about that... whose government? mine? why only you know about this and no german?
But - w/o that I won't use it anyway.
 
Stonerboy ha ha that's great ha ha LMAO I haven't used Exlpoder much since about ver 4 or was it 5. I was mostly using Netscape back then anyway . Firefox and Chrome came along that was it for xploder far I was concerned . Crap I started out on a BBS and a 9600 baud modem man that stuff was slow. I remember when a 14.4k modem was cool.
**** I'm gettin old.
 
Stonerboy ha ha that's great ha ha LMAO I haven't used Exlpoder much since about ver 4 or was it 5. I was mostly using Netscape back then anyway . Firefox and Chrome came along that was it for xploder far I was concerned . Crap I started out on a BBS and a 9600 baud modem man that stuff was slow. I remember when a 14.4k modem was cool.
**** I'm gettin old.

Glad I never had to put up with that being the youngin that I am. My first pc had two cores, XP and a 56k internet connection. Now I have far too many PCs and 100Mbit connection and a nasty audio habit which has me collecting haha :D

And I have tried IE a few times when on other peoples PCs but even then I have found myself installing Chrome instead of persisting with IE
 
funny...never heard about that... whose government? mine? why only you know about this and no german?
But - w/o that I won't use it anyway.


Eine 3 Minuten Nachricht war die Sache der Tagesschau gestern Abend zur prime time, 20 Uhr wert. Netz und restliche Medien sind voll davon... etwas künstlich cool dein post, na ja...
 
Harmon Kardon wrote :Anyway I am also a bit uncertain, and perhaps I should currently use more Firefox than Windows 7. So folks in the far cool distance - how do you estimate the situation?

Windows 7 is pretty good . That is the operating system Internet explorer and Firefox and Chrome are browser applications. Two different thing well mostly Anyway. Win 7's biggest problem is that it comes with exploder easy fix download Chrome and or Firefox update them and use them.

Just disable the Java plugins easy to do.
I posted instruction how to disable Java in F/F and Chrome Here somewhere not so easy in explorer

Removing Explorer is not an option I would choose although it is possible in win 7. I leave it there because occasionally you may need it.
I also leave it as my default browser so it plays nice with Microsoft and windows updates.

Another option is is to
uninstall Java altogether from the programs and features in control panel
or disable it in windows services couple of ways there .

Javascript is Ok leave that one alone different altogether and ok.

It's not a big problem ........ unless you get the malware from a web site. a drive by or e mail then your talking Combo fix at the least! No fun (Think digital proctology there) Or maybe a format and re install very likely . Even malwarbytes can't fix this one .

Kinda like getting getting burglarized or something ...isn't a big problem
I live in a good neighborhood you say ......... until it happens to you!

Burglars know they are going to get better stuff in a better neighborhoods right? So lock your doors , put in dead bolts and keep an angry hungry rottweiler around and a .357 handy anyway.

The particular Java problem (there are more than one) is really not an IE
fault but it is easier to get in through IE because Java is harder to disable in IE also IE is on many computers and the bad guys know that.


Chrome and Fire Fox browsers are more secure overall anyway and not so wonky. Evertime they say IE9 is hotfixed or something I try it just to see
it's still wonkey. Maybe they will get it right in my lifetime maybe not.
Took them almost 24yrs to get windows fixed . Even though XP isn't bad.
but Microsoft went backwards with Vista so it doesent count :D

They will probably go backwards with windows 8 so it will be touchy feely ,work on phones and tablets and sorta on computers, besides I don't want fingerprints and Pizza sauce all over my screen . I`m keeping 7 it works

Microsoft has Apple envy in a big way. So does HP,Dell,Asus , Fakebook ,HTC ,Nokia and everybody else. Used to be CBS,NBC,RCA, GE ,Ford and GM , Coke and Marlboro were everywhere
no matter wear you went , now it's Apple,Amazon ,Fakebook ,Twitter,Yahoo, Pinetrest ,Kardashians and beats by DR DRE .
Google and You tube are part of the new world order now. ATT is not the one that reaches out and touches you now .. unless you are customer then they try to pick your pocket.

Can't blame them though Apple stock broke $700.00 the other day go figure?
Nice phones and all but $700.00 really? Talking heads on wall street and the business channels are all over it . Worse than Beatlemania was I like the Beatles btw.

OH here are insructions for disabling Java in Chrome
http://www.podfeet.com/wordpress/tutorials/how-to-disable-java-in-chrome/

even easier in Firefox
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/How to turn off Java applets
or just uninstall Java altogether.

I keep Java but is disabled in F/F and Chrome so if the occasion ever should arise that I would need it I can just spin up exploder it's still on in there.

uninstall Java if you wan't to here is the link .
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/how-to-disable-java-internet-explorer/
BTW I got a legitamate looking e mail supposedly from Microsoft not long ago looked genuine but had Malicious code in it. No problem this time my Java was not working .
 
Last edited:
Hey man THIS is quite a helpful posting, thanks so much!!!!!

Chris


Latest: Microsoft offers update tomorrow.
 
Last edited:
Microsoft came out with the "permanent fix " today its on the windows update channel
just type widows update into windows exporer and ur there. or click here http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/thanks.aspx?ln=en&&thankspage=5

I would still wait for independent testing as far as the Java thing goes
when Adam Gowdiak, CEO and founder of Security Explorations
says it's ok you are probably good to go (he 's da man when it comes to hacking Java .) Until they find another java exploit anyway
 
You can also just click on programs to find the Windows Update direct link. :D I was going to mention the "permanent fix", but I see I'm too late. ;)
 
I use Opera as a 2nd browser, really dislike FF; Seamonkey seeme better. I just keep going back to IE9 as my primary browser. I works well, fast, uses less resources and after closing there are no residual processes running. I'm not particuarly a MS lover using Corel X5 vs Office and other alterntives and, until IE9 tended to use other browsers (used Mosaic until it was too unstable on XP). Also stayed away from Windows for years.

Tried Chrome and it was not my cup of tea but, I tend to use my systems for business and Chrome seems more consumer oriented.
 
I like Chrome 21 it is decently stable then Firefox is my second choice it's pretty good
with exlpoder 9 being third but I almost never use it . I have Opera also just can't get with it . Chrome multi tasks pretty well. I can have way more tabs open in Chrome than anything else and not have it get wonkey .
 
I've been using Chrome for the last few years. Not necessarily-happy with it lately though, and I might switch if I can find something that better-suits my needs (I only use my computer for personal needs, not business). I run Peerblock, and that's actually kept me out of virus trouble since I started using it (even though it's not necessarily-geared towards antivirus use). When it blocks something, I can bypass PB to access it, but I usually figure out WHY it's being blocked, and then make a decision of whether or not to access it (That can be a pain sometimes, but it keeps me out of trouble). Adware has gotten totally-out of control in recent years (I don't think most people realize just how much their computers are constantly being hacked into by the adware-type software we encounter online... This is the biggest reason some pages take so long to open... It's all the BS adware... I hate it). Since installing Peerblock, the only issue I've had was that my FB page got hacked (I'm also not a fan of FB's adware policies... The only reason I use it is because a lot of my friends do, and it's an easy way to keep in touch).
 
Back
Top Bottom