• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

the good, the bad, and the ugly (Yet another Dahlquist DQ-10 restoration thread)

The clarity aspect of the Dahlquists and the Yamaha amp is a wonderful phenomenon.

Usually one turns up the volume to hear more, but in this instance you already hear more at very low volumes. Vocals, individual instruments, effects, whatever are all represented at the lowest volumes with great clarity, turning up the volume just makes it louder.

The aural sensation is a little difficult to describe.

They're really cool speakers that way, I find they're better sounding at low volumes than most other speakers I've tried, like you say, turning them up just makes them louder where other speakers need some more volume to "wake up".

It is difficult to describe, they just sound... more? bigger? It's hard to go back to normal speakers because they sound too much like speakers...
 
I don't frequent AK much which is why I likely missed this epic restoration thread. I too picked up a set of matched DQ-10's many years back and have been slowly (very, very) slowly restoring them. Mostly cosmetics, but with newly rebuilt woofers from Dahlquist and newly re-foamed mid's (by me). Perhaps it deserves a whole new thread, so maybe I'll get around to it in the New Year (this January hopefully) as my target installation for my system is slated for February.
 
Man, what a trip. I was so excited to see the ending! Typical these days, disappointed in life. :)

Have a nice pair of DQ10's up here in Canada if anyone wants them! They are beautiful, but too big for my room and my small amp...
 
Man, what a trip. I was so excited to see the ending! Typical these days, disappointed in life. :)

Have a nice pair of DQ10's up here in Canada if anyone wants them! They are beautiful, but too big for my room and my small amp...
Hell, I'm in Kentucky, no passport, and you got MY attention.

Always wanted a pair of these legends.
 
Hell, I'm in Kentucky, no passport, and you got MY attention.

Always wanted a pair of these legends.
I guess you’d better get your passport, cuz Canadians aren’t getting in to your country too easily these days..

They’re beautiful and sounds as good as you’d expect. Come get em!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0757.jpeg
    IMG_0757.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0756.jpeg
    IMG_0756.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 7
I guess you’d better get your passport, cuz Canadians aren’t getting in to your country too easily these days..

They’re beautiful and sounds as good as you’d expect. Come get em!

Seems you're new here. WELCOME ABOARD!

Just for a laugh, where in Canada are ya? I have no passport, though that drive might not be an obstacle.
 
Seems you're new here. WELCOME ABOARD!

Just for a laugh, where in Canada are ya? I have no passport, though that drive might not be an obstacle.
Mr. Tim, I wouldn`t think that you should have any problem obtaining a passport !
You, if at all possible, should consider looking into getting those wonderfully transparent sounding DQ-10s, I know I love the sound of my 2 pairs owned since 1997, with one pair doing all day, & every day, music playing duty in my sunroom.
 
Mr. Tim, I wouldn`t think that you should have any problem obtaining a passport !
You, if at all possible, should consider looking into getting those wonderfully transparent sounding DQ-10s, I know I love the sound of my 2 pairs owned since 1997, with one pair doing all day, & every day, music playing duty in my sunroom.

Darn you, Billy! Always enabling me for finer things, lol. :p:):biggrin:
 
Back
Top Bottom