• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

The Idiot's Guide to Using DeOxit (revisited)

Can anyone tell me if this 2-pack from Radio Shack would be an appropriate purchase?[...]
This is exactly what I used for my Marantz receiver. It's only $14.99 and it comes with both and can be found in many Radio Shacks (at least in my area). After I was finished using it in my entire receiver, there was still some left if I ever need to use it again, but not enough to clean another receiver.

So if you only have 1 thing you need to Deoxit, I'd say go for it. However, if you've got many things, or are planning to buy more soon, the $17.99 cans of each kind may be a better value.

Oh and, to the OP, thanks for the clear instructions! :thmbsp:
 
This is exactly what I used for my Marantz receiver. It's only $14.99 and it comes with both and can be found in many Radio Shacks (at least in my area). After I was finished using it in my entire receiver, there was still some left if I ever need to use it again, but not enough to clean another receiver.

So if you only have 1 thing you need to Deoxit, I'd say go for it. However, if you've got many things, or are planning to buy more soon, the $17.99 cans of each kind may be a better value.

Oh and, to the OP, thanks for the clear instructions! :thmbsp:

Checked 2 local Shacks today and they no longer carry DeOxit. They have their own brand of contact cleaner but no DeOxit. Gonna have to order some online. Three cans of DeOxit is gonna cost almost as much as the Marantz 2220 I picked up on Monday. Yikes!
 
I have a feeling I fried a unit with Deoxit, is that possible? Maybe i was too generous in quantity and it spilled over where it wasnt supposed to? It was an old cheap unit so no biggie but I wanna avoid this in the future. What do we watch out for. Also is Deoxit in RCA jacks safe?
 
Can anyone tell me if this 2-pack from Radio Shack would be an appropriate purchase? It has the Gold, but it's hard to tell what the other item is. The description calls it "Power Booster" but that seems to be an old contact cleaner product that Caig no longer makes (or maybe it was renamed). The price is right, and it's in stock locally, so it would be great if these two items are enough to clean the pots on my receiver.

[edit: it also describes the Gold as a "connector enhancer" for gold connectors, not a lube as the OP describes it. Is this a different product?]

Problem with that set, is they do not last long. Being, not enough product.
May get 1 to 5 cleanings (per item) with it, depends on how dirty the equipment is.
You would be better off ordering the larger size from Amazon or the like.
Now if you are concerned with doing One receiver, then you will be fine obviously.
 
Problem with that set, is they do not last long. Being, not enough product.
May get 1 to 5 cleanings (per item) with it, depends on how dirty the equipment is.
You would be better off ordering the larger size from Amazon or the like.
Now if you are concerned with doing One receiver, then you will be fine obviously.

Another problem with that set is I don't think Radio Shack carries it anymore. At least not where I live.

Just to make sure, will this and this be all I really need? Or do I need this as well? And what is this DeOxit "red" that is mentioned? Not seeing that on Amazon.
 
Last edited:
About to put this stuff to the test. Sansui 5000x with really nasty controls, even tone controls cut out. Looks like I might have to drill a small hole through the PC board to get to the treble control opening. Sure hope this stuff works. I got D5 and F5 off the bay for $30 shipped. Seems like the 5 oz cans should do quite a bit of control cleaning.
 
Thanks for the awesome thread!

I am trying to clean a REALLY dirty Marantz 2275, but after removing the top and bottom covers and the faceplate, I still can't access the pots themselves.

The board is on the bottom and the there are several plates and part of the tuning mechanism on top.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Will it trick inside if I remove the nuts and spray down the shafts?
 
IIRC on that one you will need to remove the pots and controls from the front chassis. Then the board slips out from the bottom.



Barney
 
Yikes, that sounds like it might be out of my league. Thanks for the info though, at least now I have a general idea. I was kind of able to get to some of the pots by going up and under the board and they are improved, but not good yet. However, the Balance slider is totally enclosed. I guess I may have to try and get that board out.

Thanks!

IIRC on that one you will need to remove the pots and controls from the front chassis. Then the board slips out from the bottom.



Barney
 
SX 1050 Liked it.

I did the treatment on my SX-1050 yesterday. Solved my issues with a hissing noise across both channels that you could hear with the vol at 0. Balance had no effect on the noise. As you increased the treble the noise would also increase.

Now its dead quite.

I just got the receiver 2 weeks ago. I was thinking I may be in for a recap or worse. Now Ive bought more time on that.

Good info on the deoxit! Thanks all! :music:
 
Another grateful AKer. 2nd time around using Arkay's guide. De-Oxited a Sansui AU-717 with a little supplemental info on the preamp/amp switch and the volume pot from other AK threads. The right channel that cut out is back in action!!!
 
Thank you from yet another reader! I bought it to do all of my 30 year old gear but used it on another item first.

I have a 1996 pinball machine and most of the lamps have given me a problem from day one. There is a ring terminal with the wire lead sandwiched between the positive end of the socket and the tension spring and rounded end of the post. I've cleaned them with contact cleaners and they work for awhile and then fail again.

I took 4 lamps out and cleaned them and their sockets with D100. They worked great. I decided to just take the D100 "nail polish" brush, touch it to the ring terminal connections of a few more lamps, let it wick into the connection, and just exercise the post by grabbing it and moving it against the spring. That also worked great. I did every lamp in the machine and every relay and contact in about two hours, and for the first time ever, every single thing in the machine works as it should! Amazing stuff! I bought the D100 spray can, nail polish brush, and the metal rod applicator, and used every one of them.

Thank you for posting this thread!
 
Great post!! I have never cleaned my equipment, and will definitely follow this post when I do.

I know you referred to "crackling and dropouts", but would cleaning contact also relieve buzzing (feedback?) from speakers, due to auxiliary input or otherwise?
 
Does anyone know an alternative to deoxit? I can't really afford it since here where I live a can costs 30 euros. I have a H/K pm655 with the usual switch problem and it is not worth the cost of the cleaner since I got the amp for the same price.

I tried izopropilic alcohol but it is not enough since lubrication is also needed. I've been suggested WD40 but I'd rather shunt the switches than use that.
 
Those switches were a nightmare. The bass contour one made me curse a lot. With all the cleaning I still couldn't make it run smooth (I bet that with deoxit it would have worked nicely) so I pushed it until the noise was gone and that was it.
 
I'll admit it...I'm nervous around electricity. I've read every post on this thread and people are moving this moving that...once my amp is unplugged and the cover off I can just stick my hands in there and do some work??
 
Back
Top Bottom