• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The joys of homeownership!

Is it true that your house listens in on all your conversations and reads your mail (and I mean long before the internet and Siri)? I mean, every damn time we get a bump in our bank account (inheritances, for instance), the house knows and breaks somewhere (new water heater, furnace, roof, porch) at the cost of that exact amount of the new money. It’s like houses have something against savings accounts. It’s downright uncanny.
Worse yet, these things are jealous of each other. I know I spent a lot of time at the sink yesterday. So, for sure, the dryer or something else is going to fail next.

b0ac45d8-fbd4-4ac5-9bcb-1eff34b3ed2b.gif
 
We've been pretty lucky.
We've had one house for 20 and the other for 10.

So far we've had tenants who-

1- Took window treatments and decorations that belonged to us, and kept a rabbit without telling us
2- Tore up random 5 foot sections of the carpet and put down stick on simulated wood tiles at odd angles (those folks also left a pile of past due notices- I mean a PILE, along with receipts for brand new ipads and iphones, and new car payment books along with missed payment notices for those) and tried to steal our stove and called the police on US, who came just as they were trying to wheel it into the U-Haul!
3- Fired a gun into the door knob on their way out causing the bullet to go through the refrigerator, three interior walls, and two interior doors
4- Stopped paying rent after a year, and patiently waited for the legal process to grant us an eviction after almost 3 months, then moved out quietly the night after we posted the notice. Their response to our inquiries was -"what do you want us to do, give you all of our money?"
(interesting note about these folks- after they moved in, her parents immediately downsized to a one bedroom house....gee, I wonder why?)

But...we had one family that stayed 9 years, and they basically paid for that house.
We had another lady that asked if we had an early termination clause. We hastily added one before she signed the lease, and 2 months later, she violated it and paid us 500 bucks. I guess we owe her thanks.
I’ve never had renters. Seems like too much of a headache. I have sublet my apartment a couple of times to friends.

But your woes remind me of a couple I used to know back in the 1980s. I was living with my then-gf in a NYC loft. We were at a party in our friends’ loft and they were so excited to tell us they had sublet their loft for the summer to a film crew who was paying them so much money that they were going to Europe for the summer. They suggested we do the same.

Ran into them a year later. I asked about their trip and the film crew. They returned to discover that the film crew had upgraded all their home wiring to industrial, on-wall wiring and that the film crew hadn’t paid the enormous Con Ed electricity bills for those three months.

Our friends were not happy.
 
Last edited:
Better thee, than Me, Sir., relative to the embedded female`s influencing/modifying aspect !

At least my long suffering voluntarily employed combo housekeeper/caregiver leaves & goes home at the end of the day, 5 days a wk. for my solo respite I prefer !
So I go out to move the wash to the dryer, and what do I see? Water from the bottom of the washer.

OKAY! I whispered "sweet nothings" into its ear. Crossed my fingers. Hope this works.

Want to lay any bets?

 
So I go out to move the wash to the dryer, and what do I see? Water from the bottom of the washer.

OKAY! I whispered "sweet nothings" into its ear. Crossed my fingers. Hope this works.

Want to lay any bets?
No that never works, because the machine`s no doubt, prior past abuse, has already been served, and like females & elephants, they don`t forget previous transgressions, ever !
 
No that never works, because the machine`s no doubt, prior past abuse, has already been served, and like females & elephants, they don`t forget previous transgressions, ever !
Boy! Looking for a mate can be the most joyful and painful experience, all rolled up into one big ball.
 
"There's always work to be done and never the time or money to do it before it costs you more... Learn to do things yourself." Thanks, Dad.

Me as a result of Dad: It's cheaper to do it on your own if you can do it rather than a guy who is on a clock and doesn't know much more than you.

Great thread! ;)
 
"There's always work to be done and never the time or money to do it before it costs you more... Learn to do things yourself." Thanks, Dad.

Me as a result of Dad: It's cheaper to do it on your own if you can do it rather than a guy who is on a clock and doesn't know much more than you.

Great thread! ;)
Thanks!

I also got tired of wasting a whole day off, waiting for the repairman. :(
 
"Hammer Mechanics."

View attachment 3666440
The Persuader.
IMG_7968.jpeg

^^^This is the hammer mechanics / ghetto engineering a previous owner did to a chimney support in my 18th-19th-century-home’s basement, in order to run ductwork upstairs.

Scares me. But according to all of the contractors I’ve had here, it’s not a problem as long as I don’t mess further with it. I hold my breath when I pass by. IDK.
 
View attachment 3666650

^^^This is the hammer mechanics / ghetto engineering a previous owner did to a chimney support in my 18th-19th-century-home’s basement, in order to run ductwork upstairs.

Scares me. But according to all of the contractors I’ve had here, it’s not a problem as long as I don’t mess further with it. I hold my breath when I pass by. IDK.
Wow! Did a "professional" do that work? Didn't they need a permit?

Man! Good luck with the fix!
 
I'll take a pic when I'm done putting things back together in a couple days, but...

Just sitting at my desk in my man cave/ office when my LED's started blinking; the under the cabinet kind, not the kind the kids have on the perimeter of their ceiling for ambiance. I was just minding my own business and then the repetitive blink that brings on convulsions. lol Anyway, it was the whole row of seven lights under a bunch of cabinets that started, as one unit, blinking.

So I knew almost immediately that it must be the power brick, yet I have never had a brick of any type go bad. Found another brick with adjustable DC and plugged it in the leading line before the switch and viola! Problem is I need that brick for another purpose, so I had to order a replacement from the LED place.

I had to pull the old one out and remove all the little tacks I had holding it in place and with that some doodads and chatchkies on the wall and adorning the surrounding area had to be moved too. I hate messing sh!t up to fix sh!t. hahaha

The lights are on, but I have to "rebuild." ...stronger, faster, better!
 
I'll take a pic when I'm done putting things back together in a couple days, but...

Just sitting at my desk in my man cave/ office when my LED's started blinking; the under the cabinet kind, not the kind the kids have on the perimeter of their ceiling for ambiance. I was just minding my own business and then the repetitive blink that brings on convulsions. lol Anyway, it was the whole row of seven lights under a bunch of cabinets that started, as one unit, blinking.

So I knew almost immediately that it must be the power brick, yet I have never had a brick of any type go bad. Found another brick with adjustable DC and plugged it in the leading line before the switch and viola! Problem is I need that brick for another purpose, so I had to order a replacement from the LED place.

I had to pull the old one out and remove all the little tacks I had holding it in place and with that some doodads and chatchkies on the wall and adorning the surrounding area had to be moved too. I hate messing sh!t up to fix sh!t. hahaha

The lights are on, but I have to "rebuild." ...stronger, faster, better!
Wow !! FWIW, my kitchen`s (4) over 15yr. old HD purchased under the counter 2 brightness settable, made in China $~25.00. ea. LED light strips with very high 1000s of hrs. of continuous operation, & on/off cycles, are still going on strong, probably, IMO/E, due to my installing Belkin brand, $ 9.00 at that time, plug in multi tap LED status monitored surge/spike protectors I installed in all the under the counter outlets that the LED light`s brick plugs into, which also provided more protected outlets for any counter top appliances needed occasionally, without having to unplug any already connected.

Based on my knowledge of knowing how susceptible to failures SMPS are to power line spikes/surges that "all" power lines consistently have on them.

And these LED strip lights have been exposed to countless surge/spike rich power line blips, both manmade and violent local thunderstorm lightning strikes caused events.

Also, FWIW, As to mounting the light strips under the recessed bottom of the cupboard`s bottom above and their permanently wired shallow/thin SMPS bricks, I`ve had excellent results using those excellent, reusable/non surface damaging Scotch brand series of conservative load rated chosen adhesive strips for hanging pictures, hooks, etc. for non hole drilling securing, with only one adhesive strip fatigue failure around 5 yrs. back, strip right next to my counter`s combo, daily in use, Microwave/convection cooking appliance, which wasn`t really surprising, due to the daily heat and moisture exposure present from the combo unit`s use convection, or microwave cooking steam`s heat wafting up to the cabinet above where the LED strip is secured using those very handy Scotch brand adhesive strips.
 
View attachment 3666650

^^^This is the hammer mechanics / ghetto engineering a previous owner did to a chimney support in my 18th-19th-century-home’s basement, in order to run ductwork upstairs.

Scares me. But according to all of the contractors I’ve had here, it’s not a problem as long as I don’t mess further with it. I hold my breath when I pass by. IDK.
That's rough.
Similar foundation as my house.

Looks like they put a real good crack in the support. I'd be tempted to fill the crack with hydraulic cement.
What did they stick in the end of the ductwork ?
 
Back
Top Bottom