• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The "Members Only" Riaa Tube preamp. Gets a walnut cabinet)

trainbuftony

Electron Herder
Preamps, a controversial subject, where does a person start? Well suffice to say I'm not convinced that I own the best, and i'm not convinced I ever will. After several experiences building and modifying preamp stages I feel like I have a grasp on what sounds good and what I like. Please bear with me, the incoherent rambling will all come together. Early on I learned that trying to design everything from scratch is a fools errand. If someone has already done it well, improve upon their work...

One of the first preamps I got my hands on was a Dynaco PAS3. I was inexperienced and eager to make this thing sound fantastic, like everyone claimed it would. I yanked the boards, tone controls and almost everything else out, made extensive modifications to nearly every aspect of the preamp, and never did fall in love with it. Moments of sonic euphoria yes, but a undying long term affection, definitely not. I am at a point with it where it works flawlessly and is very low noise. I'm calling it done and the lesson learned is that the PAS, when used as a chassis is an overpriced chassis.

I kept playing with amps, desecrating a few organs and fiddling with their guts is fun for me! Next on the list of projects was a DIY line stage. The plans on DIYaudioprojects.org seemed simple and the cost of entry was lower than what I had into my PAS. It used SRPP 12AU7s which i have plenty of, and once i built it it actually sounded really good to my ears! I made a mental note of the success. This SRPP stage is cheap enough to build, and sounds really good. It has low output impedance and will drive 2 pair of amps. It seemed to me at the time to only be missing one thing. An RIAA phono-stage for all of us REAL audiophiles. (kidding) . I took note also that I may want to use it as part of a larger build someday.


A friend of mine and fellow Audiophile calls me up one day and he has 2 HH Scott LK72s, which he picked up in the early stages of Facebook marketplace. Like within 2 weeks of the launch of the selling feature. It was very shady and there was a huge potential for being ripped off. My pal is a happy go lucky dude and he saves lives for a living and he has lots of good (western) karma so they both showed up in as described condition. both were missing tubes missing knobs broken fuse holders, and priced to reflect all of that. He gave me the uglier of the 2 in exchange for fixing up the better one. The one I ended up with had a problem in the phono-stage! The RIAA feedback network was open, resulting in a higher gain form the broken channel. I spent a lot of time looking for a fault in the good channel, which had lower volume than the faulty one due to the nature of negative feedback. In my process of repairing the amplifier i found it helpful to draw a schematic of the phono-stage and RIAA network separate from the schematic of the entire integrated amp. Once I had rebuilt the PEC (packaged electronic component) which was the cause of the fault, the amp sounded really great. Records had the right sound to them and plenty of punch. HH Scott amps are some of my favorite. At that point the RIAA phono-stage schematic which i drew up on graphing paper got filed in my binder of good schematics. My brain had already made the connection. That HH Scott RIAA stage in front of the SRPP all in one box with switching and volume controls, could possibly be the ULTIMATE PREAMP!!! That is to say I could build it, try it, and it most likely wouldn't sound any worse than what I already have. My mind has been in creative design mode trying to gather ideas of how to lay it all out ever since. Now that it has been brewing in my noggin for a few years it is time to start making chips as they say.

Some of the things i've noted in my head. Your notes may be different and I encourage you to share them.

Organs, portable recording equipment and some military gear sometimes had sensitive tubes mounted on their own isolated sub-chassis. Not all of the tubes, just the ones which were most sensitive to shock and vibration. I'm going to replicate this, because the cost in dollars is low to do so.

HH Scott used aluminum chassis in order to limit electromagnetic irregularities caused by passing current near ferrous metals. A proper preamp chassis should be aluminum.

Stepped attenuators are a topic which I don't have sufficient notes on, but they seem very cool in theory

In reality i would like to be able to stack things on top of a pre. Tubes coming out the top is cool and all but it requires me to have more shelf space, which i don't have. Marantz did a nice job on their model 7 in my opinion putting them in the back, as did McIntosh on the early mono stuff. These things are very nice but unfortunately out of my price range. Out back they are easily rolled or serviced without removing the hood, and I can stack something else on top of the pre.

Ideally the entire AC power supply would be located in a separate chassis and connected via an umbilical cord to the Amplifier section. I'm not going that route as it would substantially increase the cost and complexity of the design. I am however putting all of these components on the other side of an aluminum wall from the audio section.

Dale CMF 60 resistors come in .1% tolerance and are specced to 3 significant figures. I also like how they write the value on the resistor in plain old numbers. I have had only good luck with them. They are expensive but then again so is anything good.

Other members of my local audio club have mentioned also failing to fall in love with a preamp. Several of them are DIY type of guys and we even took a delegation to Burning Amp in SF last year. We had one of the better sounding setups at the show and everyone had a great sounding setup. Between us we have a tremendous body of tools and skill to draw upon.

So I proposed it to the guys in the club like this. If we all go in together on parts and supplies once i have it prototyped and the bugs worked out, I think we can each have one for about $500 in parts. I got 3 or 4 solid yeses from the guys and I intend to take what i have built to the next audio club meeting to show the guys what I have in mind. Basically if you are a member of the Chico audio club I am going to offer to guide you through the construction of your own Tube RIAA preamp! I have a schematic drawn up and a bill of materials nearly complete. I'm waiting on a few parts to arrive in the mail like RCA jacks and switches. I also need to fabricate one panel for the inside which will wall off the power supply section and effectively shield the Audio half from the noise inside. I'm dying to hear how it sounds but I'm not willing to take any shortcuts to get there...
I have decided to name my great work of plagiarism, "The Members Only Riaa preamp" . Ok here are some photos.



This is what i start with. A section of 1.5" aluminum right angle 6" long. I drill it for tube sockets and tap the holes so that I don't need to use nuts. I tapped 4 holes on the bottom side for the isolation grommets and 4 more for the terminal strips which I build the audio portion on. I built 2 of these modules but I am only working on the one amp right now.



This photo shows the module built and installed in the chassis (chassis by Par metals) . you can see the isolation grommets under the amp module. I made them from rubber wire pass through grommets.



This shows the point to point compact construction of both stages. the tube shields stick out the back panel for ease of service, yet are mounted on their own platform for vibration reduction.



This thread shows the layout of the unit. The transformer is an Edcor, which I had no easy way to mount. My solution was to drop it in a can and epoxy pot it. The can has 4 holes for easy mounting and came out really nice. The main DC will be filtered by F&t electrolytics bypassed with cheap film caps. I've used F&T electrolytic caps before and they seem to work well. (very quiet amp as a result) . I used the cloth wrapped wire because I have about 3 miles of it stripped from old organs, and I think it looks cool.



This is the back panel with the tube access. Im planning to put the output jacks above that area and the inputs to the side. the AC power section will be completely to the opposite side. Thats about all I have to share at this point. I hope my rambling stream of consciousness somewhat resembles the photos... I intend to build a few of these for myself and at least one version using 5691 and 5692 tubes, which I own. If you have any questions or comments, encouragement or otherwise please don't hesitate to chime in.
 
Register to hide this ad
A few recent parts orders have left the budget constraints in the rearview. Also, in potting my power trans i damaged the hv winding and it no longer makes current. I have another pair showing up today becsuse i ordered extras last year. I decided to take a different approach to my input switching. I intend to run all of my inputs to a relay board populated with 6 NEC EA2 relays. Each relay is a dpdt switch. In its normal position will short all the inputs to ground through resistors. A 6 position grayhill rotary switch will select between the 2 phono inputs and 3 line inputs and will also direct current to the LEDs which will indicate which channel is selected. I will need to use a piece of perf board to build it on. I was hoping to have a grand total of 0 circuit boards in this build, but it looks like im compromising a tiny bit. There is no simple neat way to mount these EA2 relays without a circuit board of some type. Maybe ill build some out with ic sockets for the relays some day... Its also entirely possible that my switching scheme wont work and ill need to try something else. Im open to that possibility as we are prototyping. My decision to build it this way resulted in my budget slipping up above $500. The bare bones version will still be under $500, but will only have the one input. And while we are throwing the bean counter under the bus, I am seriously considering ordering a 43 position Shalco shorting ladder attenuator. Im going to have to sell some junk first... Thats my update. If all goes to plan i should have music middle of next week.
 
Ideally the entire AC power supply would be located in a separate chassis and connected via an umbilical cord to the Amplifier section. I'm not going that route as it would substantially increase the cost and complexity of the design. I am however putting all of these components on the other side of an aluminum wall from the audio section.
Are you sure an aluminum wall will do the job? This is normally where you would use a steel wall to block electromagnetism from the transformer. I am going through the same thing right now, having to re-package my tube phono pre. into an external box due to 60 Hz hum picked up from the power transformer. And they were on opposite sides of the (aluminum) chassis ! What finally occurred to me was the preamp has 40 dB of gain @ 1kHz. But down at 60 Hz, there's about 56 dB of gain due to the inverse RIAA curve. So any little amount of hum in the air nearby can be amplified big time. Now that the preamp is in a separate box, with an external power supply, the hum is minimal. I just gave it the (dreaded) headphone test, listening to a record through the preamp into a tube headphone amp and there was more surface noise than hum.
 
The transformer is potted in a steel can, that provides some shielding. I may need to make a steel plate, which would be easier and cheaper but i was under the impression that steel carried electromagnetism, while aluminum does not. Im not a ham, i am not formally educated in electronics and i learn by reading, building, measuring and listening. Hopefully ill be able to report good news mid week. I was only half joking when i said this was a work of plagurism... Additionally the transformers i ordered have a copper shield on the outside of the lamination to aid in shielding. Im sure someone could predict with a math degree the level of hum i will experience. I dont have that luxury, but im a great copy cat...
 
Last edited:
Good stuff Tony. Mounting the tubes on vibration adsorbing mounts is a good idea. The Marantz 7 preamp mounted the tubes that way, so , you are in good company.
 
Well, i got the power transformer potted last night and this morning i fired up the preamp, without the input switching hooked up. It sounds pretty dang good and is alarmingly quiet when the tonearm is lifted. Not silent, but also the cover is off, and some lead dress had not been completed. Im excited to continue the build and documentation. This has the makings of a really sweet preamp.
 
Early on I learned that trying to design everything from scratch is a fools errand.
Maybe I'm a fool. For me the real challenge and the fun lies in designing from scratch. Ok, "from scratch" may be open to interpretation - most formats for the basic building blocks have been known for years, but there are many different ways to implement and combine those basic building blocks.
 
Maybe I'm a fool. For me the real challenge and the fun lies in designing from scratch. Ok, "from scratch" may be open to interpretation - most formats for the basic building blocks have been known for years, but there are many different ways to implement and combine those basic building blocks.
I guess what im trying to say is that in terms of circuits using tubes, I dont have the design skills necessary to come up with something that hasnt been done, and which outperforms the simple, well designed circuits which we all know and love. This is definitely a scratch build, but im using proven circuits.
 
Alright. More photos. My chassis has a lot of room left inside for the input switching and wiring as well as a larger volume control. I haven't drilled the face plate for the selector switch, indicator LEDs or the power switch, I only get one shot at it so I want to be careful. So far everything else has turned out great. The back panel has a combination IEC socket and fuse holder, on the AC side of "the wall" , 3 sets of line level inputs, 2 phono inputs, and 2 sets of outputs. I am pretty happy with how it all turned out so far. I have spent a few hours listening to it at this point and it seems to sound right. The only problem I have with it is easily fixed. The problem being that it has just a bit too much gain.


























I hope that these photos and this writeup (which isn't finished) inspires you to build whatever it is that you have thought up in your mind. After a couple years of thinking about this i finally set out to do it and I'm glad i did. I'm learning a lot in the process and having a fantastic time.
 
It's looking good. So it's an active line level and phone preamp? Or will the line level just be passive?
 
This little preamp sounds outrageously good considering it was built in my damp greasy garage. We called a few members of the club together to have a listen last week, and everyone was pleased. We were listening on a pair of Altec VOTT speakers and a McIntosh power amp. Part of the reason for the visit was to place the preamp in front of some better gear, to see if it sounds better. It does. The sound was very detailed and airy. People mentiond hearing all of the subtle details recorded on their favorite disks. It seems to grab all of the information off the disk, and present it in a well balanced and musical fashion. Im excited. One thing i learned is that i will be needing to add a place to mount some SUTs, because most of our club uses loMC carts, and i would like to join that group at some point.


Its worth noting i am spending 3 to 4 hours daily listening to music, before i built this i was listening for 3 hours twice a month...
 
Last edited:
Ive been working on building the second. Im trying to do a neater job, making fewer errors, and drilling the holes in the right spots. This pre is already spoken for. It will go to my friend Alan who was the first to really commit. I cut out 4 power supply chassis blanks on my old bosses plasma cutter. Snuck in and did it while he was on the john. 20190514_174556.jpg
I laid out all of the rest of the holes using graph paper. I center punched and drilled them by hand then tapped them so that no nuts are required. Today I used the finger brake to bend the edges up which worked beautifully. As long as one keeps ones head about them its easy to make a beautiful product. Get distracted and mistakes happen quick.20190515_090217.jpg
I bent up four of them, and got to work assembling one for Alan's power supply. The potted transformer, power supply caps, filament supply, and several terminals are mounted to the divider plate which must be precision fit to the chassis. It gets assembled as a sub chassis separately and is drilled and tapped to bolt right in when the time is right. Slick as can be.20190515_100708.jpg 20190515_100720.jpg 20190515_102157.jpg
As you can see it fits very flush once installed. It stiffens the chassis and serves as a barrier to block electrical noise fron the sensitive preamp. It also centers the weight of the transformer in the chassis for stabity and balance. Nobody likes a preamp which is too light to support the cables plugged into it, or which slides around when you operate thr controls. All in all the second one is allowing me to plan better and do a much nicer job than i could have on the prototype. Hopefully it sounds just as good.20190515_101846.jpg

In the foreground is the best preamp ive ever built, and the one im working on for Alan is coming right along behind that. Any questions? I feel like im showing this stuff off to a vacuum sometimes.... Anyway thats my update, enjoy the photos and the music.
 
I have been moving along on this project for about a week solid. The 4 sub chassis are cut and bent, most of the power supply components are either installed or on order. Yesterday i soldered leads to my Edcor Xpwr191. I had enough cloth wrapped wire to do all of the transformer leads with it. I learned on the last batch to check my work and sure enough i made a mistake on all 3. Good thing i checked. 20190520_164621.jpg
The red B+ winding is hooked up wrong in this photo. Once potted the mistake is permanent.
This morning the epoxy was hard and i tapped the holes for the screws to clear out the resdual epoxy. The holes are painted and they not only screw smoother but they ground better without any muck in the holes.20190520_192553.jpg

Afterward i started bolting them to the subchassis i plasma cut and bent last week.
20190521_063205.jpg
Im attempting to do the neatest cleanest wiring job i can. The first one will probably be redone once the final layout is finished. 20190515_130645.jpg
This filament supply above will probably be rebuilt so that the caps are all flat in a row and the diodes will have a tie down spot as they should.
I ordered 4 power supply caps from Mundorf which fit the form factor. 2 of these will get built with Mundorf, and the remaining 3 will have F@T
 
Great project! Plasma cutters and sheet metal brakes... drool.
With the low current in the phono inputs, is there a worry about keeping the relay contacts clean over time?
 
Back
Top Bottom