• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The "Members Only" Riaa Tube preamp. Gets a walnut cabinet)

Potted 4 more transformers today this time I used wire I actually paid for (instead of robbed from organs)
I got cloth wrapped wire, good to 600v from Antique electronic supply.
Here are some photos.
I should have photographed the mixing and pouring but its time sensitive and I don't want that crud on my phone...
It's done now.
I've got 4 transformers to use up now and 3 remaining chassis.
 

Attachments

  • 20211029_140340.jpg
    20211029_140340.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20211029_140340.jpg
    20211029_140340.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 25
The epoxy popped off faster this time.
Sometimes the epoxy sticks in the bottle, its thicker than the hardener and so the ratio was not perfect. It worked though and it worked in only a few hours vs over night.
Once I've used up this batch, I'll be into double digits. Meaning once I build out the last preamp from this batch of transformers I'll have built 10 "members only" RIAA preamps.
You could probably at this point accuse me of "manufacturing" them if big words are your thing.
I'm not doing this to make a bunch of money.
I do it because I can, and because it brings me great inner peace, to solder this together and have it work. So many steps, so many processes and procedures, and checking of work... It's very fun to explore what ones best work could look like...

At the end of a long day of work it sure is nice to retire to my listening area and feel the positive tactile response of an American made industrial toggle switch, as it snaps into position and delivers current to all the little glass bottles. The thick walnut cabinet reminds me every night that I get to play above my pay grade, because I learned to build things, and that's a great place to be!
I just want to keep building them, doing my best work and sourcing the most beautiful hardwood I can find. Those lucky enough to own one are pretty special people.
Y'all are probably tired of hearing about it though, I tend to beat the hell out of my own drum...
 

Attachments

  • 20211029_192225.jpg
    20211029_192225.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 40
  • 20211029_140332.jpg
    20211029_140332.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20211029_134539.jpg
    20211029_134539.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210812_182426.jpg
    20210812_182426.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 40
Back
Top Bottom