• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Mid-Century/Danish thread

Not sure if this quite qualifies as mid-century or danish, though I'm sure I've seen adjustable track wall shelving in MCM photos, but it's another little project I've been working on behind the scenes.

All anodized aluminum and infinitely adjustable, I ran across this shelf hardware kit on amazon a few weeks ago and decided it would be perfect for the LR. I repurposed my old loft-bed plywood planks I had in storage to be used as the shelves. One still needs to go up top, but the glue is drying on the veneer that was peeling up. Probably gonna hit all of them with a light sanding and a wipe or two of teak oil just to liven up that wood a little and tone down some of those scrapes.

View attachment 2152343
View attachment 2152344


I'm gonna brag a little with these next photos :D


View attachment 2152347

All of them are like that - and with infinitely adjustable shelf brackets that friction-lock into that track (leaving little indentations inside), that needed a bit of creativity to get those perfectly level on the first try each time. And all are exactly 15" from top to top to top to top. My OCD had a nice fix today! LOL

View attachment 2152352


That clock has a service signature inside dated with the year 1864! And it keeps excellent time, too. Pretty sure it was in a fire at some point of its life - the back shows significant scorch marks, the flared out base is missing entirely and a makeshift drawer has been put in its place, and even the dial/face has bubbly/melted paint. I've had this thing for a loooong time - bought it on a new england road trip when I was probably 11-12 maybe. It then flew down here in my backpack, pre 9/11.



Give me a lifetime and I couldn’t mount/build anything that would put the bubble where you did.
 
Nearly every other shelf standards and brackets I’ve seen look like clunky crap. Those are nice and clean. Very nice.

Agreed, love the clean lines, architectural look. Classy. Was it pricey? Got an Amazon link by chance?

Give me a lifetime and I couldn’t mount/build anything that would put the bubble where you did.

LOL Thank you guys, it was a fun little project (and about time to get the surfboards out of that space). But like you said, that's exactly why I went with these. The actually look good. I was looking at the standard bracket adjustable kits when I was at the hardware store a few weeks back with this project in mind, but none really gave that look I was looking for. Started browsing amazon and found a few different versions of these. Some of the reviews pointed out problem areas, but they looked too good to pass - meh, I'd figure it out. The trick to leveling these was to level the brackets with a bubble level on a straightedge before locking them in place. I also tested one way up top just to see how much the bracket shifted when it was locked into position (5mm drop), that helped with accurate spacing.
IMG_9613.JPG

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U2SN86/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They only come with the aluminum tracks and brackets, and a set of screws that are a little weak looking - no silicone cushions on the brackets (for glass shelves). Since I was mounting to a concrete wall, I bought heftier screws that fit the concrete anchors I was using. Took a few hours to put up but I'm totally please with the outcome.
 
Found a couple of 1960s MCM items at Goodwill today. A little record/ magazine rack and a 27 inch Blenko 'bottle'. This is a staged photo, they are both dirty but will clean up nice.

kizNhMVh.jpg
 
Last edited:
Found a couple of 1960s MCM items at Goodwill today. A little record/ magazine rack and a 27 inch Blenko 'bottle'. This is a staged photo, they are both dirty but will clean up nice.
Dig the bottle a lot. Just watched the two seasons of "Blown Away" on Netflix - glass blowing competition show, kinda like "Forged In Fire". I have a thing for cool glass art.
 
I picked up this small (26" x 16.5" x 21") vintage record cabinet at St. Vinnie's over the weekend. It's a huge store and I was there specifically to look for records. All the furniture is near the entrance and while we were walking past, this little cabinet caught my eye. When I opened it, I was thrilled to see the record dividers inside. Talk about serendipity!

I do not recognize the brand/style and it is not labeled in any way. I'm 99.99% sure it's not by Lane or Drexel and it's probably from the late 1960s or early 1970s. These record cabinets are usually part of a larger collection that includes tables, other cabinets, credenzas, etc. Anyone recognize the brand/style? I've included a close up of one of the handles in hope that it will look familiar to someone following this thread.

Vintage-Record-Cabinet-1.jpg


Vintage-Record-Cabinet-2.jpg


Vintage-Record-Cabinet-Handle.jpg
 
It’s all done I think. I’m content.

Now to do the bathroom.

So I've been working on the bathroom - not really MCM or Danish, though it does have some vintage stuff. But it's been enough of a transformation that I'll share it in here. The house itself is still fully MCM being built in the late 50s so I'll include it under that technicality. LOL

When the owner was first showing me this house prior to me signing the lease, we did a walkthrough. When we got to the bathroom, he was gesturing and talking about the sink "...and here we have the sink, it's got a cabinet below it for storage..." You know, a typical sink/cabinet combo. But when he opened the door to show me the undersink storage, it crumbled and came off in his hands because for the years this house sat vacant, the termites had gotten in and devoured the wood core. LOL "Oh, I see we'll need to fix that" he said.

His idea of 'fix' was to drill two pilot holes on the fake marble backsplash of the sinktop, drive self tapping concrete bolts through it straight into the wall, then yank the disintegrating cabinet out from under it, leaving the sinktop dangling off the wall with newly exposed plumbing. I believe that's referred to now as 'shabby-chic'.

IMG_9870.JPG
IMG_9871.JPG

It's been sitting outside for a couple weeks, but that's about as clean as it would get, even with scrubbing with bleach. I've since learned that a mild acid would've at least removed the hard water deposits and rusty limescale.

I needed the house. Rent was cheap, it had a fenced in yard for my puppy, and it was strategically located minutes from school - I wasn't about to make a fuss over the sink. I'd just fix it myself once I get around to it sometime in the future...

That future was these past couple weeks.

I found a sink/pedestal combo at HD for $45 total, and decided it was time to 'do' the bathroom. Bought some fresh white paint, since you'll see in the next photo remnants of the original color - Does being painted WWII battleship grey-green count as MCM?

IMG_9801.JPG

That area surrounding the faucet is the original color. I had since started the first coats of white around. Here is the test mount of the sink portion to the wall to check for plumbing issues and correct height for the pedestal. I did end up getting a new faucet while I was at it.

Ok enough of the before photos. Now the after:

IMG_E9836.JPG
IMG_E9837.JPG
IMG_E9838.JPG

The medicine cabinet is what was here - it's in decent enough shape so I'm not buying a new one. But all of the accessories (towel ring/bars/shelf/, cup/toothbrush holder, soapdish, roll holder, etc are all new, replacing the flaking, corroded "chrome" dollar store set that perfectly accented the prior bathroom 'look'. LMAO

There's still some touch up to do down by the newer pvc water pipe and I've been applying paint stripper to the matching tile baseboards to get the decades of paint buildup off. If this was my house, I'd figure out how to actually remove the obsolete original plumbing down to the left of the toilet, but that's all thick metal, and the concrete wall would need to be chipped away and yank it through to do it properly, and that's beyond what I feel comfortable doing to a rental.

Vintage 1970s geometric fabric made the shower curtain and valance (there's my MCM) - kinda mimics the open cube shape of the modern pendant lamp though neither was bought with the other in mind. That lamp was a new cheapie from China I picked up on eBay for a lone 99 cent bid with free shipping! LOL I was originally going to strip the wiring and rebuild it as a desk lamp for back here in the office, but once I recognized the similarities with the fabric, I decided to try and work it all together.


Now for the kitchen. Ugh will this ever end! LOL Goodnight folks :)
 
Since I slightly derailed this thread with my last post (or at least took some liberties with the MCM/Danish qualification), please let me put it back on track with an updated pic of the livingroom. Much like the the bedroom a few pages back, I think it's officially done now.

Livingroom.jpg

IDK why but for some reason when uploaded from the computer, my phone pics get color distorted - usually they darken, but this time it got some extra yellow tint.
 
Since I slightly derailed this thread with my last post (or at least took some liberties with the MCM/Danish qualification), please let me put it back on track with an updated pic of the livingroom. Much like the the bedroom a few pages back, I think it's officially done now.

View attachment 2202226

IDK why but for some reason when uploaded from the computer, my phone pics get color distorted - usually they darken, but this time it got some extra yellow tint.

I really like the room. Great table, lamp and speaker stands.
 
I really like the room. Great table, lamp and speaker stands.
Thank you Jay!

I've just finished the hallway that runs behind the wall on the right hand side of the livingroom pic. Since it's a redundant passageway, I originally had the office's second door that opens up into it closed off and was using that section of the hallway as a closet. Felt like clearing it out one afternoon, and that snowballed into a project. The fabric wall hanging is original 1970s NOS off the bolt (the last of it actually). Once I built a frame, stretched, and hung it, it inspired me to complete the area. Shelves are made from some leftover oak planks that I had laying around. The pendant lamp is an original NOS kit from 1974 that I put together - there was no electricity in this hallway, so I had to swag some in to get it all to work. I know Lava Lamps are cliche, but it fits right in. Pic taken in office, looking through the aforementioned door and all the way down into the bedroom.

IMG_E0035.JPG
IMG_E0036.JPG
IMG_E0037.JPG
 
Well after about 15 years, we decided to ditch the pool table purchased when our kids were young. It served its purpose by making our home the gathering place for all their friends. Now that the kids are grown, married and on their own, we decided to reclaim our living room. It will give me a place to showcase some vintage audio gear, as well as our collection of vintage MCM furniture (and some newer pieces that fit in well). Here's the first pass-a surfboard coffee table and another Wegner Getama GE-260 will fill out the space, along with some yet-to-be procured artwork.

Audio: Micro-Seiki DD-40 TT, McIntosh MAC 4100, MX 113, MC 240 and JBL Minigon speakers.

Seating: Hans Wegner "Papa Bear" chair, Wegner Getama GE-260 lounge chair, original Finn Juhl side table, a pair of Design Within Reach Flight Recliners with a Herman Miller Nelson table between them. The Wegner and Juhl pieces were purchased by my parents at the PX when stationed in Germany during the Korean War.

The Snoopy picture is a signed Tom Everhart litho entitled "Nobody Barks in L.A". Everhart was I believe the only authorized artists for Peanuts characters during Charles Schultz's lifetime. His original works were enormous, many 10+ feet tall.

http://everhartstudios.com/work
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20211108_024952048.jpg
    PXL_20211108_024952048.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 70
  • PXL_20211108_024959652.jpg
    PXL_20211108_024959652.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20211108_025005954.jpg
    PXL_20211108_025005954.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20211108_025017236.jpg
    PXL_20211108_025017236.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20211108_025733646.jpg
    PXL_20211108_025733646.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Thanks Jay, knew you'd chime in at some point. The Minigons were a complete restoration with the amazing help of @Zonker92. 40+ pieces of veneer to get them looking back to new. Full refurbished drivers and recapped crossovers. The MC240 was restored by @byoungman1 and sounds amazing. I picked up the MX113 at an online estate auction (McIntosh hoarder in Connecticut about 3 years ago) and the DD-40 was a local purchase. The MAC4100 actually was a shopgoodwill.com pickup a few years back.
 
Seating: Hans Wegner "Papa Bear" chair, Wegner Getama GE-260 lounge chair, original Finn Juhl side table, a pair of Design Within Reach Flight Recliners with a Herman Miller Nelson table between them. The Wegner and Juhl pieces were purchased by my parents at the PX when stationed in Germany during the Korean War.

Please tell me the Flight Recliners are as comfortable as they look cool.


BTW, DWR has the Eames recliner on sale - a cool $900 off.
 
We bought this console / credenza (now called "media cabinet") because we love the clean lines and modern look. Ordered it from Room & Board and it took about three months to be delivered.

I put a stereo in it with speakers on the side and then (based on suggestion from an AK member) I put the speakers in the console.

The speakers are Elac B6 - they fit perfectly on the side (with isolation pads under them).

The electronics in the console is just a modern Onkyo integrated and a Sonos Connect to stream from our iPad.

It sounds very nice and we really dig the clean look of the room. This room is used to hang-out and easy listening.

Cheers,

Snade

20211225_101213.jpg 20211225_100950.jpg 20211225_100901.jpg 20211225_100839.jpg Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 10.36.06 AM.png
 
That is very nice! We are doing something similar only we are using an MCM console hand made in 1959 with a McIntosh MA6200, Dual 1219, a cassette deck (haven't yet decided on the one we will use). Speakers won't fit in the console, so the will be near, we just don't know where yet or what we will use. We have choices though.

Ours will be in the Master Bedroom and will also be feeding two ceiling B&W speakers in the ensuite bathroom. In just a few months, hopefully.
 
Back
Top Bottom