• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The "New" I Rebuild Marantz site

michaelj12

Active Member
Has anybody had any experience with the new ownership of this company? Are there any noticeable improvements in customer service and/or completed deliveries? I sent two of my units to Robert a few years ago, and I was extremely happy with his service and time of return. I could have asked for more attention to detail once I opened them up (one was a 2270, the other was a 240 amp), but they sounded great, and are still performing flawlessly in my system.

Does anyone have impressions of the new place?
 
Register to hide this ad
If Robert is Bob, flee from the guy. His nickname is Rob, spelled like the verb. He has worked hard to earn the nickname, unfortunately screwing multiple Marantz fans. Despite public whippings on this and multiple other forums, he has yet to make amends.

If you want superior Marantz restorations that fans wait years to obtain, use Catrafter.

I am amazed anyone would think of trying to improve the image of this noted artist. Here is Rob's feedback - if he is involved with your Marantz, good luck... http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=342935&page=5

If Rob is no longer associated in any way with the business, and it now looks like Pete Carlson and Randy Shaw are the lead tech and new owner of "I Rebuild Marantz," please do them a favor, Mike. Let them know they need to strongly consider changing the name, as IRM is poison pretty much nationwide. It will take years for them to overcome what bad karma was stockpiled.
 
Last edited:
The name gets hundreds of folks to plop down a 100 buck "I'm in line" fee so the word that it is bad may not have reached everyone. IRM might still be a viable brand if they do in fact RM and deliver. But you are correct that distancing themselves from the brand would be better. Keeping the Rebuild Marantz somehow would drive traffic. There is a lot of it out there needing lights and more.
 
I've had dealings with Randy and he's a straight up guy. Honest and dependable. I'm fairly sure that Robert B (previous owner) is completely out of the business. So I think it's a safe bet to deal with IRM now. There are certainly valid points on both sides of argument about dumping the moniker, though.
 
On the website now the queue is made public but still shows what appears to be a 3 year wait time. I "donated" my $100 to Robert a few years ago. I hope the new owner can turn that business around and make its business practices better.
 
Why would anyone "aquire" such a majorly infamous company? Why not start a new one with a fresh reputation? I cannot fathom this sort of behaviour.
 
I think I would have quietly cleared the "queue" and started over with a new name for the business .
 
Has anyone had any recent work done by Randy at IRM? I am wanting to get my 2238B restored.
Or any other reputable rebuilders?
 
He is a bona fide good guy I can tell you that! I do my own stunts, er, ah, stereo work, so I haven't used him myself. Many others can attest to his work and I hope they pipe up!!
 
Has anyone had any recent work done by Randy at IRM? I am wanting to get my 2238B restored.
Or any other reputable rebuilders?
I agree with @rBuckner. Randy is good, last I heard he may have a full schedule. I think it would be worth asking him but he may not be taking silver B models.
 
Randy went to a lot of extra effort to help me with parts kits (when he still sold them) and provided extra helpful advice. Very reliable and honest person. I'd trust him with work for sure. Great contributor on here as well.
 
My experience with I Rebuild Marantz started in 2011 and was not good. I sent the $100.00 to get in line and April of 2013 I sent in my 2285 a friend gave me and was told by Bob it was going to the bench. After multiple contact attempts with no reply, I assumed I was taken advantage of and posted about it in AK. I quickly jumped on a local 2270 for $350.00 and thought I’d learn to do any repairs myself. After researching through AK I noticed a response from my complaints about Bob at IRM, from Randy stating he bought out Bob and if I sent him my order number, he’d see if it was listed in the inventory he purchased. And to my surprise it was. Unfortunately Randy said it was no where close to be inline for the work bench for another year.

Here’s what Randy did for me….he gave me the option to leave the 2285 with him until he could get to it or he could send it back to me with my $100.00 bucks I had paid Bob and tell me what was needed for the repair. I chose for him to send it back and I’d attempt the repair myself. He did that and paid the shipping along with the $100.00 bucks and included the parts I needed to repair the 2285. He was also helpful when I had questions on the repairs. Even a couple years later my power switch went out and when I ordered a new one, he said the one he sent a few years earlier was still in warranty and sent me a new one free. Randy has been great! I’m unsure how long his wait time is now, but I’d expect he’s no different from other reputable repair shops and it will be a while.

The other thing I got out of this is purchasing the 2270 for $350.00 that seemed high at the time, but it was local so went for it. I still haven’t gone through it, but will make my purchases through Randy when I do.
 
Back
Top Bottom