• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Official "I haven't seen one of those in AGES!" thread

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
As a car guy, I am always keeping my eye out for what's on the road. About 99% of it strikes me about as exciting as a toaster, being the automotive appliances most cars are. Every once in a while I see something cool (their is an Aston Martin Vanquish in the neighbourhood), but almost more cool is the spotting of a weird car that I haven't seen in ages.

Today, I had one of those moments. Spotted a MINT shape, white, late production Merkur XR4ti. Looked just like this, but better:

merkur-cover.jpg


Anyone spotted an oddball car recently? Anything you had not seen in ages and had pretty well forgotten about?
 
Register to hide this ad
I saw one of those Merkurs the other day. They used to be all over in the 80's but you never see them now. The same with Peugot. I haven't seen one of them in ages. I wonder what the deal is, were these cars just junk? Some cars from the 80's that have stood the test of time is BMW and Mercedes. I drive an 81 300D myself and I'm looking to buy a late 80's/early 90's E30 BMW. I saw a pretty rare car today, a Jensen Interceptor. :smoke:
 
Today, for the first time in my life, I was privileged to see a gleaming white early-70's DeTomaso Pantera, ripping past my house in all its Ford-powered glory.
Net pic below.
 

Attachments

  • 1974_Detomaso_Pantera.jpg
    1974_Detomaso_Pantera.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 67
There is one of these at my school. They are kind of weird looking, but honestly would be the car I had if I didn't have a Subaru outback. A Toyota All-trac DX.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • 800px-Toyota-Corolla-AllTrac-DX-front.jpg
    800px-Toyota-Corolla-AllTrac-DX-front.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 529
Funny you started this thread... just saw one of these Friday that was in perfect condition!

Thing008.jpg


Scott
 
Saw one of these roaming the streets today, didn't get a chance to see if it was a real one or not.

fs_hanscoba_large.jpg


Scott
 
Saw one of these roaming the streets today, didn't get a chance to see if it was a real one or not.

fs_hanscoba_large.jpg


Scott

Damn, that is pretty.
Helped my friend build ones of those. Had a very hot 351W in it with a 5 speed. Man, was that ever fun!
60 Mph felt like about 120.
Won't say what 120 mph felt like! :D
 
I was driving in Sacramento a few months back and passed up a DATSUN pickup being driven by a little old man that looked like is had just rolled off the showroom floor.
 
Saw one of these roaming the streets today, didn't get a chance to see if it was a real one or not.

fs_hanscoba_large.jpg


Scott

I have a buddy with one of those. There is a local Cobra club that meets once a month around here. You have to be hard core to own a car with no top. :D
 
I saw a TRUE aluminum bodied cobra last year.. man oh man was it sweet.. nothing like the real deal...

Amazing the cars you see around this area.. some cool old Rolls, some even cooler old time Mercedes, Maseratis, Ferraris, a stray Lambroguni here and there, every now and then a T-bucket, my neighbor will borrow a friends of his London Taxi every now and then (man is that a wild looking car)....

I will give this area it's cars. Lots of money and lots of exotic people..
 
I seen the Delorean just like the one in "Back to the Future" minus the flux capacitor stuff. :D It was at my work last year.
 
Oh.. I did see a Super Bee a few weeks ago too.. and not too far down the road from me a guy parks his Delorian outside his shop to advertise his automotive business
 
I owned a Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 I believe (last year model had nicer wheels than the first one pictured)....Best damn car I ever had. The ride was awesome!
 
There is one of these at my school. They are kind of weird looking, but honestly would be the car I had if I didn't have a Subaru outback. A Toyota All-trac DX.

attachment.php

I like those! I don't think they ever sold them in California, but I've seen a couple of them. If I got one, I'd swap in a Toyota C-block turbo-Diesel (it would bolt right in to that car). The Camry, Previa, and Celica also offered that AllTrac 4WD in the late 80s to '91, I think it was.

Charles
 
Merkur is sweet, but getting parts was no picnic for my buddy who sold it.

I love turbo cars!

Evan
 
Mavricks are pretty common around here as are the dozens upon dozens of pre 1969 Mustangs that are still hauling people to work every day.

Tell me last time you saw a STOCK Willys Jeep on the road? Not a military jeep.
 
6-8 months ago I saw a CJ-2 for sale on the side of the street. 3100 bucks. I would have loved to put it in the back of my truck and drug it home. :yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom