• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Official "I haven't seen one of those in AGES!" thread

Just back from a work-unrelated phone call (cell reception awful in my wing of this building) and while I was just outside a circa '70 240Z rolls by; skinny chrome front bumper & definitely the 240 (not 260) early Z badge. What next, a Series I XKE?!
 
Several years back I saw a big ugly white car. Never saw one quite like it in Wisconsin. It was the first time I saw a Rolls-Royce. What a tank!
 
My brother had one of these in the late 60s. Bristol... all aluminium body, straight six, leather interior, four speed stick shift with electric overdrive. It would cruse at 100mph all day if the HP didn't stop you! The light in the center of the grill turned with the steering wheel.

The picture is not of his car. I borrowed the picture from a thread about a dealers collection.
 

Attachments

  • BRISTOL 404 SALOON.jpg
    BRISTOL 404 SALOON.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 41
Just back from a work-unrelated phone call (cell reception awful in my wing of this building) and while I was just outside a circa '70 240Z rolls by; skinny chrome front bumper & definitely the 240 (not 260) early Z badge. What next, a Series I XKE?!

There's a fairly mint early 260z around here that I've had my eye on. It has the factory bumper overriders, factory A/C, factory faded silver paint, and no frame rail rot. If it's still there in another month I'm gonna get it. I haven't had a running Z for at least ten years now.

Speaking of rare I saw a honest to god running turbo sprint the other day. I haven't seen one of those in fo'ever.
 
Some really unusual cars I've seen recently:

1. Aston Martin Lagonda: apparently ordered by a Middle Eastern sheik, in a very unpleasant color combo: bright green outside, salmon inside.

2. VW Microbus 9 window: nothing particularly unusual about that, except the current owner put a Northstar V8 in the back. All sorts of custom fabrication work, including huge air scoops on the sides. Painted it Porsche red over black.

3. Pontiac G8: again, nothing unusual about the car, per se, but the owner had spent thousands of $$$ converting it to a Holden Commodore (the original car), including body parts, trim, interior parts, wheels etc. He told me he has a friend in Australia who helps him source the parts, and ships them to North America.

4. Ferrari 512 Berlinetta Boxer: what a car! Originally a European only model, imported to the U.S. in the 1980s, then came to Canada in the 1990s. Red over black. Interesting design, sort of a 308 looking front, with a Dino looking back.
 
My brother had one of these in the late 60s. Bristol... all aluminium body, straight six, leather interior, four speed stick shift with electric overdrive. It would cruse at 100mph all day if the HP didn't stop you! The light in the center of the grill turned with the steering wheel.

The picture is not of his car. I borrowed the picture from a thread about a dealers collection.

There was a later model in the late '60s-'70s that had a 383 Mopar mill in it...It would FLY, too !
 
Saw an Aston Martin Virage/Vantage

around here recently. Gray metallic coupe. Sooooo nice.
Somewhere Timothy Dalton was smiling as Q warned him about the paint.
 
We see them at selective vintage auto meets and high-end vintage/classic automobile dealers' web pages, but how often are they seen in the wild pulling daily driver duty? Today's sighting: 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 (I do not know if/whether it's a numbers matching example), parked in the lot outside my building, operated by a male, presumably undergraduate, student who emerged from the Z, opened the truck lid (for and yung'uns reading: this maneuver required the use of a "truck key"), pulled out a long skateboard and sailed off to class. LeMans Blue and very clean (looking). Didn't hear it running so no comment re: the mill.
 
There's a fairly mint early 260z around here that I've had my eye on. It has the factory bumper overriders, factory A/C, factory faded silver paint, and no frame rail rot. If it's still there in another month I'm gonna get it. I haven't had a running Z for at least ten years now.

Speaking of rare I saw a honest to god running turbo sprint the other day. I haven't seen one of those in fo'ever.

I grew up with the Z cars. My dad worked for Bob Sharp racing "doing" the gtp cars. My mom had the #10 240z off the line from Japan. A sweetie, my dad did it up "right" (well after a tree fell on it). Anyhow, nice rigs, with a LOT of potential to be had. He built one that did almost 200mph, which,back in the day, caused a multi-county police chase (on a test drive). Anyhow, I saw a nice 240 yesterday, and it certainly brought back memories.
Mike
 
Passed one of these on Highway 101 this morning, a '62 Dodge Lancer wagon, also white:

1961_Dodge_Lancer_770_Station_Wagon.jpg
 
Today's sighting: 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 (I do not know if/whether it's a numbers matching example), parked in the lot outside my building.

Following Up:

Had the opportunity for a close look @ this fella today. It is rather unfortunately equipped with the (albeit floor-mounted shifter) automatic transmission (probably Turbo-Hydramatic 400?). Pity, was expecting a 4-speed, but then if it were a manual tranny it probably would not be operated by one of "today's youth", right?
 
Following Up:

Had the opportunity for a close look @ this fella today. It is rather unfortunately equipped with the (albeit floor-mounted shifter) automatic transmission (probably Turbo-Hydramatic 400?). Pity, was expecting a 4-speed, but then if it were a manual tranny it probably would not be operated by one of "today's youth", right?

Definitely NOT a true Z28, then.

None (and I mean, NONE, period) of the first-generation Z28s had automatic transmission. It was a Muncie 4-speed or nothing...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Back
Top Bottom