• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Official "I haven't seen one of those in AGES!" thread

I owned one in the mid 80's...bought off a guy in Hoboken. NJ...I used to say that Frank Sinatra owned it...What a fun, simple car....sold it and got a 1974 Chevy Impala 2 dr.

I've been searching for an Opel Manta for years...seems GTs are much more common. I looked at buying one when they were new...but had difficulty with the non-tilt steering wheel being right down on my thighs. Makes it hard to do some serious sporting driving. Manta? Much more comfortable and a cool looker at the same time.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=298566&stc=1&d=1316008306
 
There's an orange Opel GT that lives near here. Not sure who owns it. I've also seen a couple Maserati TCs (Chrysler K cars) and an Isuzu Vehicross around town.

My old neighbor used to have a Mercury Capri. My father and I would occasionally drive it, and I'm not sure either of us had ever been in a worse car. The fact there are fan sites for these things boggles the mind. It's like they tried to copy a Miata but forgot to make it fun, so you had a car that was boring and slow in addition to being tiny.
 
Oh wow. I've only seen one of those, ever.

Not exactly the most car stable at high speed... :D

Regards,
Gordon.

Apparently only 7 made & 6 are still in existence!! Only 63hp & 65mph top speed, so nothing to worry about.

That guy has all sorts of classic & exotic cars in his lot that is suprising that I haven't had an accident driving by:D
 
Karmann Ghia

Saw one of these spinning thru town the other day. Been ages since I last saw one. I loved them as a kid and always wanted one. Sorry about the pic size.

Karmann-Ghia-coupe.jpg
 
Hell, when was the last time you saw a BEETLE ? Or a Microbus-the one w/the umpteen little windows on top, the big "VW" symbol, & a sunroof ?
 
Hell, when was the last time you saw a BEETLE ? Or a Microbus-the one w/the umpteen little windows on top, the big "VW" symbol, & a sunroof ?

Oh, I may have seen some recently;)

Actually, the funny thing is, I got my beetle, and suddenly I start seeing them everywhere. Seriously, a grey '76 (I think) that the vintage VW shop owners son drives (I saw it before I knew it was his). another yellow 66-72 (convertable) a red one that drops off someone at my sisters highschool, and a white 60's one rolling around. I could swear I hardly saw them before this:scratch2:.

Side note: that vintage VW shops owner had recently bought a Opel to restore, marking the second one i've ever seen.

And another good one: at the parking garage I work at (it's almost a living...) a delorean parks there almost every morning, really cool car.
 
What I haven't seen in ages, is a LaForza SUV. Those were ultra-popular with the Hollywood crowd in the late 80s, and they've completely evaporated off the face of the earth. I remember seeing them on display at a big dealership in LA, and they were costly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laforza

There is one of these at my school. They are kind of weird looking, but honestly would be the car I had if I didn't have a Subaru outback. A Toyota All-trac DX.

attachment.php

That's on my want list! I've seen a very VERY few of them, and I don't think they even sold that in California. I'd want the 5-speed stick AllTrac, and I'd put a 2.2 Toyota turbo-Diesel in it. The Camry also offered AllTrac, and most people have only know of the Celica GT alltrac turbo, which is also rare. There's a Corolla AllTrac DX like this one you show, at a junkyard in Palmdale, CA. They want WAY too much for it. It's tempting because it's in showroom condition in & out, but somebody ran it dry of oil and blew the engine and scrapped it.

Charles
 
Hell, when was the last time you saw a BEETLE ? Or a Microbus-the one w/the umpteen little windows on top, the big "VW" symbol, & a sunroof ?

I see them everyday on the road. They are plentifull on the west coast. We moved to Seattle from Iowa City in '89, driving a '72 VW bus. Every other bus we passed on the way got a wave from both drivers, until we hit Seattle, and they were everywhere.
 
Anybody seen a Vega lately ? Or have they all rusted back to the very depths of H3ll from whence they sprang ? (grin)

(Nearly) every day I drive past a red Vega, which appears to be a V8 chop job to me, but I've not stopped to inspect it. (I think I've noticed a beefy differential out back, too) Every 2-3 weeks I do see a "per Chevrolet specs" Vega roll through campus, and weekly--just for the fun of saying so--there is an honest-to-goodness circa 74 (safety bumper-age out front) Ford Pinto Runabout. In red (looks original!). See Mavericks weekly around here, mid 60s-early 70s Mustangs (almost) daily, 60s VWs (esp. Bugs & buses) hourly, and on and on. It's the land of old cars that haven't rotted out & have been transformed to "new" condition and old cars that haven't rotted out and are still daily drivers. Lots of them. There's even a Gremlin running around here on occasion. Lots of Vettes, the odd Camaro or five, and a ton of other GM & Ford products. Not so much MOPAR around these parts; I guess these locals are hiding their good stuff.
 
I saw a circa-1981 Plymouth Reliant going down the highway a few months ago in amazing condition. It sure looked showroom new, and the windows were up on what was a hot day.

That's not the only automotive treasure I've run across in recent times, though.

I've noticed a small uptick in the number of GM B-bodies (Caprice, Parisienne, etc...) on the road, especially station wagons. I've seen a number of very clean examples.
 
I saw a circa-1981 Plymouth Reliant going down the highway

That's an odd one to still be hanging around in any climate, much IL. Your luck day, I hope you put down a bet on something @ Arlington, Sportsman's Park, or Aurora Downs. :D (as i recall, at least of those facilities are no longer in operation?)
 
Bizarre: I looked over my right shoulder, out my office window, and a late 60s-early 70s Beetle Convertible (top down) in a bright yellow skin is sittin' at the stoplight just outside.
 
That's an odd one to still be hanging around in any climate, much IL. Your luck day, I hope you put down a bet on something @ Arlington, Sportsman's Park, or Aurora Downs. :D (as i recall, at least of those facilities are no longer in operation?)
Not to derail the thread, but...a friend of mine had an '84 Reliant that had been passed down through his family until he got it. He'd upgraded long ago, leaving the poor Reliant sitting around with nothing to do. So I ended up with it.

reliant-sized-1.jpg


My brothers and I had more fun with that car than was probably legally allowed. And yes, it (technically) had a Hemi. We drove it a little over 7,000 miles. You didn't often see another one on the road.

And then there was the one that got away... :tears:
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Pontiac.JPG
    Pontiac.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 103
Circa '79 Pontiac Parisienne wagon?
1985 Pontiac Parisienne Safari. Power everything, loaded with almost every option including a trailering package. Gasoline 305 V8 engine. It ran absolutely beautifully, so very quiet and well balanced under that massive hood. A little carpet shampoo would have had it looking brand new again. It belonged to one of my co-workers.

It was a victim of the Cash for Clunkers program. As stupid as it sounds, my only solace is that I didn't have to watch it die. I probably would have bawled.
 
1958 Cadillac Eldorado convertible.

While travelling west on the 210 Freeway the other day I pulled up alongside a beautiful fully restored cream colored 1958 Cadillac Eldorado convertible with the top down. I slowed down for several minutes to drool and enjoy this spectacular automobile, the epitome of the great American touring car. I swear this car levitated over bumps in the road. You can have your Bentley Continental, I'll take that '58 Eldorado any day. God was it gorgeous.
 

Attachments

  • 1958 Cadillac Eldorado Convertable.jpg
    1958 Cadillac Eldorado Convertable.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom