• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Official "I haven't seen one of those in AGES!" thread

My 1st car. Purchased it when I was 16 and it took almost 2 years to do a body off restoration on it
 
Whatever happened to these?

Mercury-Capri.jpg
 
Matt, on the pix you posted, there's definitely Dodge lettering on the front hood edge, and the rear of the car is no doubt from a Dodge. I'm trying to figure out what the story is on that front end... :scratch2:

It's a Canadian market Dodge. For whatever reason, all domestic companies used to mix & match engines/bodies/interiors among their own brands to create "unique" Canadian models to be built at Canadian plants.

The need for this went away somewhat with the Auto Pact of 1965 (equalizing tariffs between the two nations (this is why neither country tends to view either as "imported", because the trade policies are mirrored). However, the practice of mix/matching continued well into the 90s, and even to this day with model names.
 
Cool Dodge

I posted the Catalina LAND YACHT as my avatar....what a powerhouse, mustve gotten 10mpg highway. But its still worth it IMO. Beautiful vehicles.
 
Hi,

The Capri Convertible was nice, not common these days, due to parts difficulties since about every other item on it came from Europe or Australia. One of my cousins has one. Hers is still in service and is driven occasionally. The engine and transmission are easily had since they were used in Mazda Proteges and Ford Escorts of that era.
 
I saw one of those Merkurs the other day. They used to be all over in the 80's but you never see them now. The same with Peugot. I haven't seen one of them in ages. I wonder what the deal is, were these cars just junk?

No, they were (and still are) good cars. It was called the Ford Sierra everywhere else, and it was always in the top ten sales figures until it's replacement by the Mondeo (Contour in US). Sadly, in the transition across the Atlantic, it put on quite a few pounds so wasn't as nimble as it once was. The name Merkur was a mistake as well, like a bad joke you have to explain, you've lost half the battle right there. Plus towards the end, they were pushing $20000. Here are some pictures on mine past and present :

silv88xr22.jpg


merkur1.jpg


redmerkur1.jpg


white89XR83.jpg
 
I see a DIESEL Chevette many mornings when I stop at the bakery for my donut. They were rare when they were NEW! Must use an hourglass to measure 0-60:) Guy in town drives a '61 Falcon as his work car...it's all there...but in "worked" condition.
 
Anybody seen a Vega lately ? Or have they all rusted back to the very depths of H3ll from whence they sprang ? (grin)
 
Anybody seen a Vega lately ? Or have they all rusted back to the very depths of H3ll from whence they sprang ? (grin)

I saw a Vega funny car a while back. Alcohol-burning...

There's a couple of V8 Vegas floating around here. One particularly nasty one is reputed to have a Vortech-blown LSX in it...

There's a Buick Skyhawk with what looks like a IMSA-style kit, powered by a GN-style turbo Buick V6 around here somewhere too.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Last edited:
I owned three of these at different times. The first was the same color as this when I got it, but not in nearly this good of condition (we paid $135 for it, not-running):

attachment.php


I can't find the one picture I have of it, that I took after I finished fixing it... someday, when I find it, I'll scan it in. The orange wasn't the original color for the car I had (it was originally green)... I turned around and painted it white on top, and black below the beltline (as defined by the bumper height). I made up a subtle side-skirt kit for it... it was quite good looking. Had one of the only sets of Dan Gurney Racing rims on it that I've ever seen. Dual-twin-outlet Ansa exhaust, too. It was converted from the 1100cc engine, to 1900cc, after I had it a few years...

Regards,
Gordon.
 

Attachments

  • Opel_GT_1900_1.jpg
    Opel_GT_1900_1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 124
Of all the pictures I've seen, I finally found one that shows one that is reasonably close to what mine looked like. Mine was black up to where that side stripe is, and white above that. Also, my wheels were different (all aluminum color), and the tires were not as low-profile. And my interior was black. But, the stance is about the same. Hell to drive over speed bumps. :D

attachment.php


Regards,
Gordon.
 

Attachments

  • white_opel_gt_small.jpg
    white_opel_gt_small.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 124

Attachments

  • manta.jpg
    manta.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 19
1948 Davis Divan. Although I drive by this place every day, so I never know what I'll see. http://www.f40.com/

No affiliation with either the car or dealership. Borrowed pic.
 

Attachments

  • 1948 Davis Divan.jpg
    1948 Davis Divan.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom