• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Official SOTA Turntable Thread

I decided to get one of the refurbished Sapphires instead of upgrading the old one.
It was supposed to have Eclipse but it didn't (sent them a message about this).
In the meantime....
This one has 3 unlabeled buttons for the motor.
After playing with it I figured it the 2 furthest buttons were to adjust the speed, and the closest one actually gets the platter turning.
I keep accidentally putting it at 45 rpm rather that 33.

What's the correct way to use this button to start, stop and change speed? Seems like a long press turns the motor off?
 
On my Cosmos, one button starts and stops the motor and the other switches between 45 rpm and 33.3 rpm. If you can't always remember which is which, put a tiny drop of nail polish on the star/stop button.
 
I decided to get one of the refurbished Sapphires instead of upgrading the old one.
It was supposed to have Eclipse but it didn't (sent them a message about this).
In the meantime....
This one has 3 unlabeled buttons for the motor.
After playing with it I figured it the 2 furthest buttons were to adjust the speed, and the closest one actually gets the platter turning.
I keep accidentally putting it at 45 rpm rather that 33.

What's the correct way to use this button to start, stop and change speed? Seems like a long press turns the motor off?

If it's like the other Phoenix controllers

ON = one click on the right (closest) button.
OFF = pressing and holding the same button down for a few seconds.
SPEED CHANGE 33/45 = a fast click on the same button.
SPEED ADJUSTMENT = as you already figured out the other two buttons increase/decrease the speed. One slows the other increases.
 
If it's like the other Phoenix controllers

ON = one click on the right (closest) button.
OFF = pressing and holding the same button down for a few seconds.
SPEED CHANGE 33/45 = a fast click on the same button.
SPEED ADJUSTMENT = as you already figured out the other two buttons increase/decrease the speed. One slows the other increases.
Thanks, that appears to be it.
 
After emailing SOTA I discovered my refurbished table DOES have the Eclipse package. They mounted the Condor under the motor and you can only see the display by removing the motor cover. No wonder I was confused.
Anyway, I'm reading the instructions an am curious about the Voltage Output Mode. Does anyone know why you would want to adjust this and if so, how do you know how much to adjust it?

BTW, I am willing to sell the old table if anyone is interested, 1985 ish model.
 
Hi all,

I just picked up a Sota Cosmos with the Fountainhead finish. I wasn't looking to buy, but it had an SME V on it and I need a better 9" arm. I don't know much about it. I am not sure where this edition falls in the series? Also, I read a few dozens post on here about the pump of the older series being audible. I tested and the vacuum seals the record (with the help of the clamp). The pump is audible from my listening position of 12' away, which makes me wonder if it's still on full power even after the seal is made? The hum goes down slightly while the pitch of it goes up. Also, I read that if the suspension is too bouncy the springs are getting old; I am not sure what to base that evaluation on? I think this table is really cool, as well as the arm (very well made).
 
Hi all,

I just picked up a Sota Cosmos with the Fountainhead finish. I wasn't looking to buy, but it had an SME V on it and I need a better 9" arm. I don't know much about it. I am not sure where this edition falls in the series? Also, I read a few dozens post on here about the pump of the older series being audible. I tested and the vacuum seals the record (with the help of the clamp). The pump is audible from my listening position of 12' away, which makes me wonder if it's still on full power even after the seal is made? The hum goes down slightly while the pitch of it goes up. Also, I read that if the suspension is too bouncy the springs are getting old; I am not sure what to base that evaluation on? I think this table is really cool, as well as the arm (very well made).

I've heard that people who use the vacuum put the pump in another room and run long lines to it. I didn't want the hassle so I got a non-vacuum model.
As for the springs, I think if you can still adjust them where the part of the chassis that hangs beneath the outer cabinet is still level and roughly at the distance they say, the springs should still be useable. The 1985 model that I started with was "just about" a the end of being able to adjust it correctly, but it worked.
You Tube has a lot of their how to videos.
 
Thanks for the insight and the links to the videos. I will check out the underside of the sub-chassis to adjust the springs, if needed. I think the springs might be fine and I am just not use to suspended tables. I had a Gyrodeck for a brief amount of time about 10 years ago, but I didn't really like it. Now, with this SOTA, I might not have set up the Gyrodeck correctly and given it a fair shot.

Their site is helpful.

I checked again for the noise of the pump this morning during a very quite time and it is noticeable, but could be masked with most music. I am a big fan of acoustic instrumental guitar, so that will be the litmus test. Could I send just the pump into SOTA for service or do they need the complete setup?

I've had pretty good luck with tables this year, so I am not complaining and overall the Cosmos is excellent. I would do a trade for an upgrade, but don't think I could afford it.

Does anyone know if you can paint over the corian type material of the plinth. I like the plinth from a structural standpoint, but just was thinking of a more traditional color.
 
Does anyone know what should be the voltage of pin outs to the vaccum pump. Mine is showing 42mV DC. Of course the vaccum is not working
 
Anyone with SOTA star II can confirm what is the value of this resistor. Wirewound. It shows no reading and while cleaning it wipes out all the details. IMG_3728.jpegIMG_3732.jpegIMG_3731.jpeg
 
I discovered that my Cosmos does not have the transit screws (bought the table used). I am about to move and don't have time for SOTA to send me replacements (which they graciously offered). Does anyone know the size/type that I could get at the hardware store, if possible?

Thanks!
 
Good morning Sota fans. It’s been a while since I have been around these parts but figured this might be the place to come for answers to my questions. I have a Star Series II that I bought in 2018. The platter and sub chassis were updated to series V sometime before I acquired it. The motor, power supply and vacuum pump I believe are all original. It has served me very well and still does. However, lately when I turn it on, I get a pop through the speakers. Same when I turn it off. It is somewhat intermittent because sometimes it doesn’t pop. I have cleaned the on/off switch and the table chassis ground is connected to the chassis ground of my phono stage. It is powered through an isolation transformer so the power going to is clean. I get a little speed drift from session to session but I am hoping it is just the belt. I ordered one from Sota and apparently they are back ordered. Anyone else run into this with their table? Thanks!

Tim
 
I wanted to update my Star Sapphire Series III to the new magnetic bearing and the Eclipse motor package. Sent an email to Sota and got a reply from Christian that they no longer are reworking the platters on older tables. So now we are finalizing details on a trade-in towards a brand new Nova VII. We'll see what happens but wanted to let everyone know about no more bearing upgrades on older tables.
 
I wanted to update my Star Sapphire Series III to the new magnetic bearing and the Eclipse motor package. Sent an email to Sota and got a reply from Christian that they no longer are reworking the platters on older tables. So now we are finalizing details on a trade-in towards a brand new Nova VII. We'll see what happens but wanted to let everyone know about no more bearing upgrades on older tables.
That’s too bad about the upgrade - good luck with the trade option.

I upgraded my turntable prior to this with the magnetic bearing and new platter surface (including rubber edge for vacuum). Instead of the Eclipse Motor package I opted for just the Roadrunner speed box - which allows me to manually dial speed in accurately with original motor/controls. This is a fairly easy install and recommended for anyone with an older SOTA.
 
Back
Top Bottom