• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Official *Technics SL-1200* Owners Club

Any comments on an upgrade from a Denon DL-160 to a DL-103R? Wondering how things can get any better than I'm hearing from the DL-160 but a few seem to love the 103R on the 1200.
 
Any comments on an upgrade from a Denon DL-160 to a DL-103R? Wondering how things can get any better than I'm hearing from the DL-160 but a few seem to love the 103R on the 1200.

I have both and prefer the DL-103R. I may buy the 301 MkII next to see how I like it on the delihaus modded stock arm.
 
Mark- just finished the arm last night (parts came in frm Kevin/KAB).

Ooh- the 301 II would be nice!

Awesome! Since I have to disassemble the TT to change arms again, I am going to have the base painted at that time. Hmmmnnn....what color, what color???? :scratch2:
 
awesome! Since i have to disassemble the tt to change arms again, i am going to have the base painted at that time. Hmmmnnn....what color, what color???? :scratch2:
red!


tried to edit this so that the word "red" would be in all caps and the board wont let me? wonder why???
 
Do it quick, Mark!

My vote is a harvest dust gold, deep Rich burnt orange/copper, dark British racing green, or dusty pale green/silver.

Of course, a nice metallic charcoal or metallic black always looks sweet....
 
Good suggestions! I guess it will come down to which arm I keep on it permanently; the Delihaus modded stocker or one of the two Sumiko's.

I really dig the idea of British Racing Green. It would look good with either of the arms. The auto body shop can do the rubber base as well by applying the flex additive they use for plastic bumpers, etc. What do think of that?
 
Periphery outer ring clamp

I recently purchased a periphery outer ring from TTweights - this particular ring is perfect for any Technics 1200 series tables.

Extremely well made, however, a little on the light side weighing in at 240g (1/2 lb). It flattened most records with the exception of the thicker variety.

I decided to give it some more heft and glued on some brass fittings - 153 of them to be exact. Each one was filled with tiny lead shots.
The combined weight of the brass + lead came out to approx. 255g.

The ring now performs beautifully and weighs in at around 1lb.
 

Attachments

  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 152
I recently purchased a periphery outer ring from TTweights - this particular ring is perfect for any Technics 1200 series tables.

Extremely well made, however, a little on the light side weighing in at 240g (1/2 lb). It flattened most records with the exception of the thicker variety.

I decided to give it some more heft and glued on some brass fittings - 153 of them to be exact. Each one was filled with tiny lead shots.
The combined weight of the brass + lead came out to approx. 255g.

The ring now performs beautifully and weighs in at around 1lb.
That looks really cool, but aren't you worried about all that extra weight taking its toll on the turntable?
 
I have both and prefer the DL-103R. I may buy the 301 MkII next to see how I like it on the delihaus modded stock arm.

Thanks much. I happen to use a CA 640P as well, although mine is stock. How was the gain in its stock form (if you tried it like that) with the 103R? Decent match? I'm intrigued by the idea of a CineMag SUT in the future but wondered what I could expect without.
 
Thanks much. I happen to use a CA 640P as well, although mine is stock. How was the gain in its stock form (if you tried it like that) with the 103R? Decent match? I'm intrigued by the idea of a CineMag SUT in the future but wondered what I could expect without.

Higher gain for the DL-103R at equal volume setting.
 
Back
Top Bottom