• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Official *Technics SL-1200* Owners Club

I am happy to report I found a brand new SL1210MK5 (NOS) and picked it up for a pretty fair price....$850. I had a local Ortofon dealer order an Ortofon 2M Bronze for me and just installed it. So far, sounds great!!!

I have been wanting a brand new SL1200 since 1990 and just have never had the funds for one. When I finally was able to buy one at the end of last year from KAB, he informed me that he had no more and Technics stopped production. I'm glad to now have found one :banana:

One thing that irked me is that the turntable was initially making a "swirly/grindy" noise....it was a very short "whoosh" sound that occured every TWO rotations of the platter. I took the platter off and started and stopped the motor a few times (though the platter says to not do that...not sure why?). Anyhow, I then replaced the platter and the noise was gone. Now rotates whisper quiet, super smooth and perfectly on speed. Odd?
 
First post.

After restoring my Harman/Kardon ST7, I thought to myself, "I really need a second turntable that I can still get parts for." I found much useful information on AK that helped me make the ST7 sound better than it ever has since I bought it used in 1987. It really sounds wonderful.

Looked around, and stumbled upon this thread. Read the whole thread through twice. You folks totally sold me on the Technics 1200. Joined AK as a result.

Ransacked thrift stores and pawn shops. Watched auctions on you-know-what to determine a reasonable price. Spotted one on CL from a DJ who was retiring from the business at a good price. The TT came with full disco regalia. Bearings in great shape, even came with the 45 adapter and a Shure White Label cartridge, perfect for old 45s, of which I have zillions.

Ordered the normal hi-fi stuff (thick mat, dust cover) from Amalgamated Kevin. Bought a Technics headshell from the local DJ supply house, and mounted a New York Stanton 681EEE with an original New York Stereohedron stylus using Baerwald alignment.

Man, is this TT sweet!

I just got home late tonight, and there, stuck in the mail slot, was a new stylus for the White Label. I'm tired, so I can't do much more than write this post.

First 45 up tomorrow morning: The Beatles, "Lady Madonna."

Can't wait to wake up!

Many, many thanks to all of you. I wouldn't have done it without knowing that there's a family here to support me. You folks are the best.

Please add me to the list of owners.
 
Thanks for the ad.
Here is a homecoming pic of my MK5s. Purchased a package deal Christmas 2010 from a retired break beats DJ. Other than a crack on one dustcover, they're pretty mint.

clmk5.jpg
 
Bought a Technics headshell from the local DJ supply house, and mounted a New York Stanton 681EEE with an original New York Stereohedron stylus using Baerwald alignment.

:thmbsp:
A classic combination!
 
SL-120Mk1 arm boards......

Hello everyone.
My quest to find a third and correct arm board for a SME 3009 tone arm for my SL-120mk1 was not going that well until I located a man in Europe that produces arm boards. Arm boards for the newer more common SL-1200's which is not exactly the recommended 'cut-out' angle for the SL-120mk1 that I seek are not easy to come by. He offered to make some for me, like ten, but I only need one. Once I complete my four SL-120mk1 restorations, I will have three tables with SME's and one with a Black-Widow.
In order for him to produce them, he must make a starting number of ten for it to be profitable for him to produce any, of course. Is anyone else interested? Surely, a number of individuals on this site would probably be interested? Here's his site, perhaps if enough people contacted him he'd produce them? http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150595375974&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:IE:1123

Item Id: 150595375974
His price is fair, I guess, although it will be higher for the SL-120 'cut-out' version and he'll include all mounting screws and washers.
I have two originals already, old guys, from Technics circa 1972. These boards are rare and difficult to locate. The reason I need one more is that I fell into an auction and won another SME 3009 S2 arm, non-improved type this time, the original version, now I've got three S.M.E. arms, which I feel is more than enough and I'm gonna stop at this point, but one might imagine a person non-experienced at gambling as I am and I easily and dumbly fall prey to something that is an attractive and beautifully classic tone arm as these. Will I ever learn not to play with fire? This hobby and the easy access to these arms on the web has made it difficult to resist purchasing them.
I finally completely 'tuned' one SL-120Mk1 with a SME 3009 Improved and the sound retrieval is astonishingly rewarding to my ears. In fact the best my system has ever sounded to date. This arm is wonderful, so you might understand my zeal and enthusiasm?
Please, let's jump on this offer as time is maybe crucial here. So unless anyone has a singular arm board to sell me right now, I'll continue to hope this fella will offer his product to us all. I have no business affiliation, I just need one more arm-board.
FM
email: frankmarsi@verizon.net
 
Last edited:
Question. I picked up a AT 440MLa cart for my SL-1200MkII. The cart weight is 6.5g should I use the headshell weight since the cart is at the upper limit?
 
Question. I picked up a AT 440MLa cart for my SL-1200MkII. The cart weight is 6.5g should I use the headshell weight since the cart is at the upper limit?

I think your data are wrong, from audioreview:

Tracking Force Range: 0.75-1.75 g
:thmbsp:
 
I think your data are wrong, from audioreview:

Tracking Force Range: 0.75-1.75 g
:thmbsp:

Steezo, I am referring to the Technics set up manual. Use the included shell weight when using a light cartridge (3.5 to 6.5 grams).

The AT cart weighs in at 6.5 grams (tracking is optimally 1.4 grams)

Should I use the little square head shell weight?
 
Back
Top Bottom