• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Official *Technics SL-1200* Owners Club

Mine also works as it should... I bought it new in July 2008, FWIW.


Mine's used, but it was born in 2005. It makes me wonder if they didn't tweak them a bit over the years. I've digitized everything from full spectrum sweeps to silent grooves, and I haven't seen any of the behaviors that KAB fixes. No hum, no rumble, no noise, no resonance, nothing that isn't on the record.
 
Ah, I have only one little prob, some "cracks" when put the arm on the rest, still not deep investigated on it, some advices?
 
I think my M3D is circa 1998. My SL-23, circa 1978, had a problem with a fast cue lever until the audio guy added lubricant.
 
The Old Peeps were always right.......

5-8-1
It wasn’t the S.M.E. 3009 Improved tone arm, nor the vintage SL-120 turn-table, it was the freak’in cables that made me think my S.M.E. was inferior to the Technics arm.
I should have known, ‘thedelihaus’ told me, I should have believed him but I was doubting!
No, it wasn’t the ‘VTA’, nor the ‘VTA’, or Azimuth setting, it was the freak’in cables I tell ya, Alice!
I switched the freak’in “Vam--ire” entry level cables out and I installed the “Straight-Wire” “Symphony-Two” cables in with some twisting and shoving to do so and I was rewarded with great high-end and great mid-range frequency response that I thought was lacking with my S.M.E. arm, the ultra-bass is there too. Yes, I felt how could that great looking and much heralded through out history great ‘arm’ be compared to that crappy looking original Technics Sl-1200 MK1 tone-arm. I stupidly doubted the great 3009, Improved arm.
Well. again, I will state it was the ‘cables’ and not the tone-arm.
My new to me S.M.E. tone-arm sounds much better to the Technics arm by far margins. The cables did it, I tell ya!
While I was changing cables, I also sprayed the ‘on-off’ switch and speed ‘pots’ with “De-Oxit” and that set the sometimes off speed table straight to absolute perfection. It true that my 40 year old tables can still perform to a level of perfect speed.
In fact just like these first SL tables first did to give birth to the Sl-1200 Series Two's present ability.
All sonic qualities were improved by just a few simple procedures.
Anyway my SL-120/S.M.E. is sounding better than ever, especially since while trying to shove in my Symphony II’s in and realizing that the Vam--ire’s sounded like crap compared to them that maybe there is some truth to cable differences as I have experienced tonite.
Anyway, I must state that my system is sounding great tonite, maybe better than ever! The S.M.E. is sounding great, just like I always read/heard it would! But, I must say, the old arm wasn't bad at all, it just didn't look the part.
What do I base this on? I’m listening to “Little-Feat’s” great live album, “Waiting-for-Columbus”, this album has enough wonderfully recorded material on it's a good 'testing' record.
UPDATE: All records played afterwards have sounded equally as great!
FM
 
Last edited:
Of the arms I've done, some drop quicker than others. I've even replaced the whole cueing assembly at the request of one AKer and it didn't change the speed, so I added a heavier silicone fluid to mild improvement.

I'm thinking there was minor spec differences from Technic's suppliers (perhaps like the snafu with improper capacitance cables).

Anyhow, I always drop the lever slowly myself, to exert a bit more control over the whole process.



Yes, that's what I've normally done. I was just curious as to how the arm would cue down when I lowered the lever faster. Other than this one instance, I always cue the lever down slowly until the stylus catches and then lower completely. Just wondering if the fast drop down was typical or atypical of the 1200.
 
Yes, that's what I've normally done. I was just curious as to how the arm would cue down when I lowered the lever faster. Other than this one instance, I always cue the lever down slowly until the stylus catches and then lower completely. Just wondering if the fast drop down was typical or atypical of the 1200.

This video that I did yesterday respond to your doubt.

1200 have a brilliant engineering, for sure if something is wrong something is not as intended to be. :tresbon:
 
I think it would be cool to own one of the early 1200s, before the pitch control bar. I like the simplicity of those.
 
GMKU you can mod one to take off the pitch control, a custom trim over the pitch window et voilà.

Well, I like having one with the pitch control. I'm just saying it would be nice to add an original (and fully working) 1200 to the collection.
 
Here a longer video, where you can see my garage/lab, the amp is a Blaupunkt MA-5750 (a rebrended Yamaha A-520) that I'm servicing. :music:
 
Back
Top Bottom