• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The song that sends a chill down your spine:

Money for Nothing - Dire Straights. Play it loud, and the opening will give me goosebumps everytime. I use it to demo my stereo to curious friends. Never fails to 'get' them, and make them say wow.
 
I Can't Make You Love Me -- Bonnie Raitt

I've never been a particularly big Bonnie Raitt fan, and didn't pay much attention to this song years ago when it was released. Recently I heard it on the radio, and it caught my attention. It's a song that makes you stop everything you're doing and listen to it.

So when I started reading this thread, I thought I'd look it up. I was watching the video on YouTube when I realized that Bruce Hornsby is the piano player on the song. The piano is a big part of this song, and he does a great job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTLR3zHxnr8&fmt=18

John
 
Fade Into You - Mazzy Star

Sounds like a real melancholy, post-Vietnam, early seventies song. Every time it just stops me in my tracks and thinks sad things....
 
Here's a new one for me:

Ralph Vaughan Williams - Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis

Rolls is on you like ocean waves - achingly beautiful. Probably why it was used in "Master and Commander."
 
When I lived in Nebraska there was a guy who used to stumble in once in a while on open stage night at Dugans Pub. He was always way beyond hammered. He would grab a stool, borrow a guitar, and stagger up on stage. He usually needed a few minutes to find the chords, but once he started singing he owned that room. Such a dynamic, sweet, piercing voice. Always the same song. Somehow - in a drunken stupor - this guy could take Gordon Lightfoot's Edmund Fitzgerald to a completely unimaginable new level. There aren't even words to describe it. It really is one of those things that you never expect will happen, and can't really believe it when it does. I can honestly say though - without hesitation, reservation, or uncertainty of any kind - that if I had to choose between the two, the drunk guy at Dugans Pub would win. Hands down.

Having said that... The one song above all others that really tickles the sweet spot for me (and I'm sure this will come as no surprise to anyone who's read more than two of my posts) is Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell - written and composed by Jim Steinman. If anyone's up for a bit of light reading I wrote a kind of a play-by-play/review of the song here. It's a bit lengthy, but I think it makes some interesting observations about the arrangement of this sprawling, epic piece of rock and roll grandeur.
 
My Fav's
Kenny Wayne Sheppard : When I Found You
Alannah Myles : Black Velvet
Ted Nugent : Stranglehold

Heh... At risk of sounding like I spend way too much time at the bars...

There's a guy here in Manhattan Kansas who everyone calls "Chappy". I guess he used to tour with a few of the Motown groups back in the day. Nowadays though he moonlights as a one-man retro act, performing acoustic versions of about any Motown song you can list off. For some reason though he always throws Black Velvet right into the middle of his set. I always liked the song, and I think it's very cool that he throws it in the mix with his Motown review.
 
As long as the music is good there is no reason not to spend much time in bars... as long as the significant other approves (mine doesn't).
 
SRV Couldn't Stand The Weather :yes:

Anybody else think Tommy Shannon is the best blues bassist on the planet :thmbsp::music:
 
SRV Couldn't Stand The Weather :yes:

Anybody else think Tommy Shannon is the best blues bassist on the planet :thmbsp::music:

For sure +1 ... Also Reese Wynans is an amazing keyboard player I'd actually go far enought to say that Double Trouble is the best blues backing band ever
 
The Johnny B. Good medley from Johnny Winter And Live.

Wicked Game. Chris Isaak.

Karn Evil #9. Emerson, Lake and Palmer

Watermelon in Easter Hay, Frank Zappa

Hey Hey My My, Neil Young

Bullet the Blue Sky, U2

As I Am, Dream Theater

Rock Bottom, UFO

Let There Be Rock, AC/DC

Bad Motor Scooter, Montrose

Son of Orange County, on Zappa's Roxy and Elsewhere

Baba O' Riley, The Who

American Woman, live version from Live at the Paramount, The Guess Who

Buckethead, Nottingham Lace

just to name a few...
 
Stairway to Heaven. Sounds as good now as the first time I heard it. Always sends chills down my spine.
 
....'cause we've ended as lovers -as done by Jeff Beck. It means a lot in many ways to me. "Messiah" by Roy Buchanan for me too......
 
SRV Couldn't Stand The Weather :yes:

Anybody else think Tommy Shannon is the best blues bassist on the planet :thmbsp::music:

Yep. Thought so for a long time. Especially in the old days (with Stevie anyways- 1981-1984) with a simple Peavey set-up and home made cabinets.
 
Box of Rain from American Beauty (The Dead).
Helter Skelter from The white Album (Beatles).
Cinnamon Girl from Everyone Knows This is No Where(Neil Young).

And probably a another two dozen from Morning Rain (Fleetwood Mac) to You Ain't Nothing But a Hound Dog (Elvis) to The Christmas Song (Nat King Cole).

T.Z.
 
Back
Top Bottom