• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Vintage High End Separates Thread

OK, I'll play. We're talking amplification, right?

Accuphase E-202, P-20, C-222, C-200X
Kenwood Supreme 700C, 700M (not restored)
SAE 2600
Stax SRM-1 Mk2 Pro (maybe?)

But the "high-end" defination is a little blurry, IMO.

My current system:
Turntable: Micro Seiki DDX-1000
Preamp: Accuphase C-222
Poweamp: Yamaha PC2602
Speakers: Yamaha NS-1000M

Only the pre qualifies as high-end? Are the speakers and turntable more high-end today, than before, since they're quite sought after now?
 
In my current rig only my ARC LS16 mkII qualifies as Vintage High End and I'm not sure it is old enough.
Regards,
Jim
 
Wow! This is an impressive list. While I'd love to know which are your favorites, and how they compare, I don't think I see a single piece that I wouldn't enjoy! Nice work! :rockon:

This is a long list. I've been at this a long time so here goes:

Pre-amps:

Marantz 7C
Marantz 3300
Crown IC-150
Radford ZD-22
Stax SRA-12S
Apt Holman
Precision Fidelity C-7
Lazarus Cascade Deluxe
Audio Research LS-2B MKII
Audio Research LS-26
Audio Research LS-27
Counterpoint SA-2000
Klyne SK-5A
Modwright LS-26.5

Power amps:

CM Labs 35D
Marantz Model 32
Marantz 250
Phase Linear 400
BGW 500R
Threshold CAS-2
Quintessence Group Power Amp II
Lazarus H1A
Audio Research VTM-120s
Krell KSA-50
Pass Labs XA 30.5
Ayre V5XE
Coda S-100

There is some High end Vintage goodness in that list!
Regards,
Jim
 
I consider most of these "High-End". They were certainly TOTL for their brand at the time.

My main system currently uses these in bi-amp configuration:
Soundcraftsmen Pro-Control-Four pre-amp
Soundcraftsmen Pro-EQ-44 equalizer
Crown PS-400 amp
Crown PS-200 amp

Upstairs I rotate between these:
Crown Straight Line Two pre-amp
Crown PSL-2 pre-amp
McIntosh C-20 pre-amp
Soundcraftsmen Pro-Control-Four pre-amp
Soundcraftsmen Pro-Power-Four amp
Crown Power Line Three amp
Crown PS-400
Crown PS-200
Crown Studio Reference-II amp
Crown DC300A-II amp
Crown D150A-II amp
Carver PM-1.5 amp

In another room I have:
Soundcraftsmen Pro-PT-5R pre-ceiver
Soundcraftsmen Pro-PT-2 pre-ceiver
Crown D75A amp
Crown D45 amp x3

I love the clear clean sound of the Soundcraftsmen/Crown combination and the versatility it offers me with my bi-amped JBL 4345 system.
Always happy to share my experience with any of these, or lend a limited number of them locally if there's any interest.
 
preamps:
McIntosh C33
Audio Research SP-4A

amplifiers:
McIntosh MC2100
Pioneer M-25 (yes, a high-end move by Pioneer)

tuner:
Sansui TU-X1 (36 pounds of badass radio)

I still have all these except the tuner. Another possible candidate for this list is the Phase Linear 3300 Series II preamp I had for a while. Nothing exotic but definitely inched toward the high end in its day.
 
This a thread about Vintage High End Components produced by those companies specializing in that type of gear. These would include Mark Levinson, Audio Research etc, and only the tube separates from Fisher, Marantz, Sherwood, Fairchild and others. Let's see who has knowledge of or experiance with these highly desirable units.

Regards,
Jim

Nakamichi 410 pre, Quad 405, Yamaha T-70 tuner, a/d/s 1230speakers, Thorens TD166 mk2, Sumiko blue point #2 cartridge
 
I consider most of these "High-End". They were certainly TOTL for their brand at the time.

My main system currently uses these in bi-amp configuration:
Soundcraftsmen Pro-Control-Four pre-amp
Soundcraftsmen Pro-EQ-44 equalizer
Crown PS-400 amp
Crown PS-200 amp

Upstairs I rotate between these:
Crown Straight Line Two pre-amp
Crown PSL-2 pre-amp
McIntosh C-20 pre-amp
Soundcraftsmen Pro-Control-Four pre-amp
Soundcraftsmen Pro-Power-Four amp
Crown Power Line Three amp
Crown PS-400
Crown PS-200
Crown Studio Reference-II amp
Crown DC300A-II amp
Crown D150A-II amp
Carver PM-1.5 amp

In another room I have:
Soundcraftsmen Pro-PT-5R pre-ceiver
Soundcraftsmen Pro-PT-2 pre-ceiver
Crown D75A amp
Crown D45 amp x3

I love the clear clean sound of the Soundcraftsmen/Crown combination and the versatility it offers me with my bi-amped JBL 4345 system.
Always happy to share my experience with any of these, or lend a limited number of them locally if there's any interest.

I would consider these units high end yet affordable! Crown amps are a bargain these days! I was looking to get a Crown Psa-2. It can do 2ohms. I wanted to run two pair of my 6 ohm ess speakers and get over 500 wpc. Would it be a problem running the Crown with an Anthem Pre-1 as my preamp? What are your thoughts on the PSA-2?
 
I would consider these units high end yet affordable! Crown amps are a bargain these days! I was looking to get a Crown Psa-2. It can do 2ohms. I wanted to run two pair of my 6 ohm ess speakers and get over 500 wpc. Would it be a problem running the Crown with an Anthem Pre-1 as my preamp? What are your thoughts on the PSA-2?
Most any Crown is stable at 2-ohms. I don't have any experience with the PSA-2 but I know others here do. I seem to see plenty of them in non-working condition and I've always passed. I do have the Studio Reference-II which is an arguably better performer and perhaps more reliable since it's a bit newer. :dunno:
 
McIntosh C-22, Dynaco Mk3's (with mods by Bob Hovland), Altec 604E's with GPA xo's in 612 cabs. For the sound I like and the music I listen to this system is vintage perfection to my ears..

24366079575_1f0bd7b4a7_b.jpg

24339895666_7a76613e28_b.jpg
 
Marantz 7c, 10b & 8b

But why limit the Marantz folks to tubes... Model 20, 7t and 500 are all world class vintage SS..... by any measure.
 
These are my experience so far:

Boothroyd Stewart Meridian 105 monos, circa 1978-80, 559-late 90's
Linn 2250S, circa 2001
Bedini 100/100, 250/250, 25/25, 150MKII, same vintage.(78-80)
G.A.S.500 Ampzilla, Ampzilla, Son of Ampzilla, Grandson of Ampzilla, same vintage.
LSR&D Superamp model 102 monos, model 101 stereo, same vintage.
HK Citation XX, Citation 16, same vintage.
Acoustat TNT200, TNT120, same vintage
Perreaux 2250B, circa 1985
Fisher SA-100, circa 1961
Heathkit W-5M X2 with matching pres., circa 1960
Electrohome 7189 monos, circa mid- sixties?(organ pulls)
 
Last edited:
Having recently acquired one, the Heathkit AA1800 has complely impressed me! Not sure it's in the Threshold or Krell class, but it should be damn close!
DC
 
Having recently acquired one, the Heathkit AA1800 has complely impressed me! Not sure it's in the Threshold or Krell class, but it should be damn close!
DC
You know, that is the one amp I will never get rid of. I'd give up my MA5002 long, long before my AA-800 goes away. It's just a simple Leach design but it flat out sound top notch.
 
"Separates" I suppose meaning like separate amps, pre-amps- least is how I take it! I could be wrong about this as well........
DC

Understood but I see no question, problem, etc., Are we to just list what we think are high end separates?
 
This a thread about Vintage High End Components produced by those companies specializing in that type of gear. These would include Mark Levinson, Audio Research etc, and only the tube separates from Fisher, Marantz, Sherwood, Fairchild and others. Let's see who has knowledge of or experiance with these highly desirable units.

Regards,
Jim

Understood but I see no question, problem, etc., Are we to just list what we think are high end separates?
First quote is the OP and I believe he was simply looking for those who have experience or knowledge with vintage high end separates to comment.
 
Back
Top Bottom