• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Then and now: playing a record isn't the same thing as it once was

Recently I picked up a KLH Model 20 stereo with a Garrard changer at a thrift store . And I love the thing because I can listen to thrift store records "old school" -- just slap it on, hit "reject" and rock out. And it's awesome with a stack of 45s. Just like when we were kids.

Yes, I have two very nice vintage tables that are tweaked just right and can make my vinyl listening truly magnificent. But I also keep a table that is purely for slapping records on with minimal fuss. Usually -- before I got my fun little KLH toy -- it's been a Technics SL-Q3, which is a fine and rock solid fully auto table.

The one thing that has changed is my relationship to pops and ticks, and it's all due to ClickRepair. I can get just about any record to sound listenable if I clean it, needle-drop it to the PC, and run ClickRepair. No lie. What an amazing piece of software. It does help that I have a nice DAC that really makes my CDs come alive. And I've got a serious sound card for the recording as well. I've come to the conclusion that a well-mastered LP needle-dropped and played as a CD through my rig is just as sonically enjoyable as the vinyl, and you can remove the pops and ticks too. What's not to love about that?

These are great times to be a music lover.
 
Last edited:
The one thing that has changed is my relationship to pops and ticks, and it's all due to ClickRepair. I can get just about any record to sound listenable if I clean it, needle-drop it to the PC, and run ClickRepair.
They can have my SAE5000's (yes, plural, one for each system that has a turntable) when they pry them from my cold, dead hands. Not quite as effective as the newest audio cleanup software, but they do their work in realtime without the need to transcribe first.
 
Yep, didn't think about it much when I listened to vinyl way back when. But now I take a lot of care trying to improve the experience.
I think vinyl + turntable puts the listener in the equation. Digital music seems to leave the listener out of the equation. Between the laser and the CD it's only going to get so good, and there's nothing you can do about it. A CD either reads or it doesn't.
But with analog, you can clean and adjust various elements, with a variety of results. There's a pursuit of perfection with vinyl... and the repeated improvement you can enjoy by cleaning, adjusting -- or using different equipment --makes one believe that perfection is attainable.
 
Great thread Arkay! It brought up a lot of memories. My dad had Knight tube seperates in the early 60's. I'm sure we had vinyl but for some reason I just can't remember. My education with vinyl was certainly self taught in my case. In high school I was the guy in the hood that had the big (for that time anyway) record collection. I manhandled quite a few however as I ran with a partying, to say the least, crowd. I've gotten much, much better as time has gone along, and now take great pride in my collection. Yes, I probably go overboard with all the cleaning and tweaking, but once you hear a great pressing, you can't go back. . But for me its all about the music. From the first time I heard the Beatles' Hard Day's Night album (it's really the first lp I remember spinning) I've been hooked. I guess I'm just a junkie, looking to recapture that first high. With music however, most times I succeed. :thmbsp:
 
I grew up in a home where music was appreciated and enjoyed. My parents had a nice collection of records (if modest in size by the standards of today, when we easily accumulate hundreds of cheap, used LPs), and some very nice gear (for the day) to play 'em on. They had season tickets to symphony concerts and operas, and when we got old enough, we were taken along sometimes. Every child in our family was expected to learn to play at least one musical instrument (I learned woodwinds). Although the youngsters like rock that the parents didn't, music played a role in our lives, and spinning records was a part of that.

Our gear was nice; the turntable was a bit outdated, but it had been a top model in its day; the tube amp was VERY nice by today's standards, but it was all just gear to be used for playing music.

Sometimes we would read or hear about the hard-core fringe of audio fanatics, who would spend a fortune on ultra-precise gear and who spent hours tweaking the precise alignment and pressure on the stylus, etc...

For the most part, these people seemed strangely obsessed, and a bit silly. We sort of understood wanting to pursue quality, and appreciated nice-sounding music, but felt those people carried it to an extreme that was almost comical, too "over the top" and fanatical for common-sense types. I think the vast majority of people felt that way. Even our neighbor who had the JBL Paragon wasn't quite that obsessed.

We all knew that records should be clean, so sometimes we would rinse them in the sink and wipe them carefully before playing. We never thought about the idea that always putting them into the same old paper sleeve could make them dirty.

We realized that static charge could make "pop" noises, but there wasn't too much we could do about that. Records just naturally had some "snap, crackle and pop" noise, and you hoped it wouldn't be too bad, and did your best to "listen through" it.

If the "needle" (the commonly used word for stylus) skipped, you might blow against it gently when it was near the point where it usually skipped. Sometimes taping a small coin on top of the headshell would improve the sound. We'd never heard of VTA, and while we could set the built-in adjustments on the arm (if there were any), using a lab-standard gauge to measure stylus pressure precisely, was for those fanatical obsessed types. It wasn't something normal people thought necessary for enjoying spinning records.

I usually put the tonearm on the record by hand. I was proud of my excellent eyesight, and could always "eyeball" the placement of the stylus in the little spaces between tracks, only sometimes catching part of the previous song or cutting off the beginning of the one I was selecting. When younger, accidents would happen, and s-c-r-a-t-c-h -OOPS! But as I got a little older, I got quite good at it, a skill I was proud of.

At some point I discovered they sounded a little "better", with deeper bass, if played while still a little bit damp. [I was probably eight years old at the time, and soon outgrew the practice, realizing it also muffled part of the sound.]

Records could warp, so you'd try to keep them out of the sun. Fingerprints were bad for them, so you'd handle them by the edges. Old records could break if you dropped them, ruining them forever. Records were a bit fragile, for lack of a better word. So you treated them a bit gently, but that was just a practical step, like not dropping a bag with eggs or light bulbs hard on the floor or counter. That was all.

We all knew that records were fragile, and had to be handled carefully. They could scratch easily. We also knew that they would eventually wear out from playing. A record would last for so many years and so many plays, and eventually the grooves would be so worn that the sound would be shot, so we would treat them carefully and respect each playing, listening and enjoying, unlike a radio that might be left on for "background noise". When tape came along, we knew that was even more short-lived, but still felt that records had a limited lifetime.

We also knew that styli would wear out, but no one really knew how to tell (without a microscope, which bordered on silly overkill) when that time came. Every several years a stylus might be replaced if it seemed "time", but normally we'd just play one for years, as long as it sounded okay/good.

When dust would accumulate on the stylus, we'd try blowing it off. If that didn't work, sometimes we'd use a small artist's brush to brush it off, and sometimes --especially if neither parent was around to see-- we'd just take it off with our fingers. Sometimes, to make sure the system was on and connected and the tubes warmed up, etc... we'd gently scrape a finger over the stylus to hear that "Gggggrrrrrumpppphhh" sound. Sometimes we'd make that sound, just for fun. (I know, :nono:)

A decade or so later, in college in the late seventies, turntables were a bit more sophisticated, and we learned about 'setting up' tonearms, but were still not remotely as careful and picky about it. The "tweakheads" seemed a bit less strange, but most people really just followed the steps like "going through the motions", and hoped they had done things adequately.

The focus was more on enjoying the music, and drooling over ads in magazines for better stuff that we couldn't afford, than about really setting up systems carefully and getting the most out of what we had. Sure, a TT had to be "level", but much of the time we'd just make sure it LOOKED level and seemed to spin as if it were, and that was good enough.

TODAY, much is different. I've become one of those weird fanatics I used to read about. I spend hours tweaking and adjusting my turntable system, using tools like an RCM that cost more than I would have dreamed of spending back then, and "overkill" methods like laser levels and a surveyor's level, to ensure optimal set-up, as far as I can achieve it. Once I think I have it right, I'll spend more time using test records to do final "dialling in" so it sounds best. I pay attention to what is underneath the player, attempting to deal optimally with those nasty, even unheard (and sometimes heard through a stethoscope) vibrations. I wouldn't dream of playing anything on a turntable that wasn't "set up right", as far as my ability and my patience allow.

Nor would I ever play a record that wasn't thoroughly cleaned, usually involving at least two cleanings on the VPI RCM, and perhaps more (such as steaming). I wash and thoroughly dry my hands before any session where I'll be handling and playing any of my better LPs, lest I corrupt their carefully-cleaned surfaces with oils, or go clumsily pushing gunkinto a groove.

I respect my styli (don't seem to call them "needles" any more, even though that is also what they are!) and NEVER touch them with my finger. I study them under magnification, and ritually dip them on the Magic Eraser, and hope they and my records can last last as long as possible.

ALL my turntables have some kind of mechanical tone-arm lift, and I wouldn't dream of using my hand to set the stylus down on the vinyl these days, even though I believe I still could. I just don't want to risk accidentally putting excess stress on a stylus, cantilever or record surface, when the tonearm lifter can do it consistently well.

What I once viewed as "fanatical" is now "normal". The difference in sound that emerges from my turntables has been transformed, too. They are quiet, now, with only an occasional snap, crackle or pop. Often the whole side of the LP is just plain quiet. There is no doubt that the sound I hear today is much better, objectively speaking, than what we listened to back then, good as that was.

In a real sense, the nature and role of spinning vinyl, as a part of life, has changed. It used to be just the method by which we made music, to listen to or dance to. Like flicking a light switch to have light.

Today it still is about making music, but now there is more respect for the instruments used and the process involved. There is care and focus, ritual and precision. It feels different, somehow more significant.

I am still just as fascinated by watching (and hearing) that stylus in the groove, performing its magical transformation of mechanical squiggles into glorious sounds, as I was when a child.

But somehow today it is different. More hassle, yes, but that is the price of admission. It isn't just a thing that does what it does. I lovingly cleaned and polished, or even made (depending on the TT) the plinth. I spent some serious time adjusting and tweaking the thing. I took pains to clean the record well. I invested something of myself in the process, and found it relaxing to do so. There is a different kind of appreciation and quiet pride that wasn't there, years ago.

Now the records are always flat. No more does the arm bob up and down (I use a record weight/clamp and won't tolerate warped records), and turn smoothly and quietly, as if floating on liquid glass. No more watching the "rolller coaster ride" of warped disks.

The sound wells up from blackness, with only the occasional quiet whisper or --very rarely-- pop, instead of pushing its way out of a crackling, hissing background.

My records were always kept lined up on shelves or, at worst, in boxes (I was an organized kid), but now they are each housed in individual protective wrappers and returned immediately after playing to their proper place. Each one that is a 'keeper' gets housed in a clean Nagaoka anti-static sleeve, whether or not there is a paper sleeve inside the jacket.

Yes, "playing a record" is NOT the same in the 2000's that it was a few decades ago. Instead of just being just something one did when the mood struck, like riding a bike, eating, playing outside, reading a book or watching television, spinning vinyl today is almost a formal ritual. It is a process that is somehow a bit important in my life, almost a part of who and what I am. I've become, for lack of a better word (and not using it in the negative sense, but in the original, root sense) an "audiophile". And instead of seeing myself as a borderline nut case, I'm glad of it. I "get it" when I watch those guys from the Athens club. I feel they --like many AKers-- are "brothers in audio" who share an awareness of something special. No, playing records isn't just "playing records" any more. It has transformed into something just a bit more special than it was.

I wonder how many others here have similar stories. Today, it seems "normal" for most people getting into vinyl (whether returning to it after a lapse of years, or indulging in it for the first time) to get online or talk to an audio-minded friend or someone in the store and learn all about TT set-up, RCMs, etc... Years ago, while we might have heard about such antics, we didn't really know or understand them.

How about you? Have you always been an audiophile-type "fanatic" who expends serious effort getting everything 'right' and seeking to optimize your system, or were you a "just plug it in, drop the needle in the groove, and groove to the music" type, now reborn? How has playing records changed for you, over the years?

I am writing a persuasive essay on why records are better than CDs. One of the reasons for this is because of sentimental value. Is it all right if I quote portions of your writing for use in the essay?
 
Yep, didn't think about it much when I listened to vinyl way back when. But now I take a lot of care trying to improve the experience.
I think vinyl + turntable puts the listener in the equation. Digital music seems to leave the listener out of the equation. Between the laser and the CD it's only going to get so good, and there's nothing you can do about it. A CD either reads or it doesn't.
But with analog, you can clean and adjust various elements, with a variety of results. There's a pursuit of perfection with vinyl... and the repeated improvement you can enjoy by cleaning, adjusting -- or using different equipment --makes one believe that perfection is attainable.
Could I possibly quote this too, analog fan?
 
But with analog, you can clean and adjust various elements, with a variety of results. There's a pursuit of perfection with vinyl... and the repeated improvement you can enjoy by cleaning, adjusting -- or using different equipment --makes one believe that perfection is attainable.
That's way too philosophical for me. I clean records to minimize the annoying ticks and pops, and adjusting my tonearm is maybe one or two notches below going to the dentist on my list of things I'd rather not do any more often than I need to.
 
Growing up, my parents played records more than any other medium. My Dad would spend many a night with the lights dimmed in the living room while literally rocking with a large pair of headphones (rocking courtesy of an old bentwood rocker that he always sat in). Just by observing them, I saw with how much care they took to keep their albums in good shape.

I owned several turntables in high school and college, all of them were self contained units with their own dinky amps. Most of them were mid seventies stack player models, which took the type of needle that flipped from lp to 78 settings. Most of my high school buddies were into records as well, and we all had this type of player. Even into the late 90s Radio Shack stocked those needles, and when they discontinued them, I went all over town and bought them all up.

My entry into the world of better audio was when I bought a technics turntable at Goodwill and realized I would need to buy a receiver for it when I got it home and realized that I wasn't going to play on the Aux inputs of my plastic boombox...
 
I started i n the early 60's, late 61. With a Garrard AT-6, Scott 222 amp and Frazier speakers. But within 90 days had a Thorens TT with an Ortofon arm and SPU cartridge. Cecil Watts was the record cleaning system of choice back then. Then a Zero stat was added as I lived in a very dry desert climate. We always used a humidifier during the 8 or so dry months of the year as the entire family were asthmatics and I had bronchitis on top of that. Being in a desert dust and dirt were the main concern and I did keep my fingers off the records and would brush them off before each play. I added a tape machine in 65 and added prerecorded stereo tapes and live recordings that I made on remotes for the radio station I worked at. Which I found to be much superior to Lp's. I really didn't get serous about cleaning records until Discwasher and Nitty Gritti came along in the 70's as I remember. I use a VPI Model 17 RCM now days with Groove washer products. I haven't crawled on the electrostatic cleaner wagon yet.

But have been Sheffield Labs direct to disc nut and now an Acoustic Sounds, and DGG Original Master Series LP fan. What cemented me into becoming a nut was buying a Dynavector xx-2 MK II and a Mark Levinson/VPI 515b Dragon TT with Fat boy arm. Though my Thorens with Rabco has the XX-2.
 
Great "personal shares" in the way of how music and the audio gear came together and the similar experiences that were appreciated in this listening passion

The longer one has been on the path of listening, the better one has as they were part of the different changes in music and the equipment that played the sound.

Careers/education/family/loans might have gotten in the way of what was affordable back then, but there was always the air waves to fill the different gaps. Maybe not so much today... from my POV.

In later years, many now have the time and dept of pocket to afford what was out of reach in the past, and the increased audio knowledge base.


Many thanks for the different aspects brought to light, that in the end, brings us together in a common respect for what is great sound, and the appreciation of the equipment that plays it. :thumbsup:


Q
 
Back
Top Bottom