• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thiel Flagship Speakers

Register to hide this ad
I used to own a pair of CS2.2 back when I was selling them. Thiel made great speakers. One thing I have noticed is that they seem to have horrible resale value. I have no idea why but I regularly see 2.2s, 3.5s, 5s going for insanely low prices and they are almost invariably in great shape as Thiel owners take care of their stuff. This is odd because Thiel has a great reputation, there are lots of very positive reviews out there and owners are invariably very happy with them. I would say they are one of the great bargains out there.
 
if anyone has 2700 to spare here (or willing to spend on these), and could have any proper amplification:

RUN!
NOW!


those are amazing speakers...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.
 
Thiels are great speakers, BUT... they require a lotta change invested in the rest of the system to sound great, and they need a good sized room to breathe well. Shipping is also a bitch. All conspire to make for a local sale, which means trying to find someone within a hundred miles who wants to spend some significant money.

I have seen the people who have the kind of money to buy Thiels much prefer new speakers - they don't need to count every penny and they don't like to buy other peoples' problems. I find most peoples' problems can be made to sound very nice! :yes:
 
Good analysis of the situation. Exact same issues with the Mirage M series. They can go for a song if some one really needs to get them out of the house. I love my M3si and I got them for a very decent price, though not a steal.
 
i listened to the thiel cs7 before connected to classe components and i was blown away. what a speaker! i'll say the same as basite said for 2,700 RUN NOW AND GET EM! i wish i had the money for them id have them in my living room now
 
What's the cost for the upgrade kit to make them into 7.2s? I heard the 7.2s are better speakers. Thiel use to sell the kit a few years back but i can't find any info.
 
the upgrade kit to make them in the 7.2 was somewhere around 4-5 grand.new drivers and crossovers. i would have to agree the 7.2 is a better speaker BUT for 2,700 for the cs7 is a steal in my book.
 
One thing I have noticed is that they seem to have horrible resale value.
Not so unusual, and no different than many other high-end products from most any industry; ie. Mercedes, BMW, Maybach . . .

As others here have mentioned, those with the scratch to buy these new won't even consider something used from an individual. Not unusual at all for an eight-year-old European luxury automobile to sell for a quarter of it's original MSRP. Heck, I have two pairs of JBLs that sold for $2,000/pair thirteen-years ago and I paid a tenth of their original price, in perfect condition, within the past year.

I've even auditioned a pair of $14,000 Thiel CS3.7s recently in a local listening room and have to say, particularly compared to the $200 JBLs, they're way overpriced. I'm figuring at $2,700 even the CS7s are likely overpriced by a good fraction of the asking price. If they were a good deal, they'd be gone, even in this economy.
 
i'd have to say that jbl made a good speaker in its day.today jbl is nothing like they were in its hay day.they are sold in all the chain stores i.e best buy, circuit city. but you will never see thiel sold at mass market stores.hence why jbl speakers can be had for a very cheap price.the thiel cs3.7 speaker is a phenomenal speaker even at 14,000.
2,700 for the cs7 i'd say is not overpriced at all. AND people will buy used IF its what they want. some prefer the cs7 over the 7.2 some prefer the 7.2 over the cs3.7. its all about what they want in a speaker and what sounds good to them..
 
Not so unusual, and no different than many other high-end products from most any industry; ie. Mercedes, BMW, Maybach . . .

you have some good points, but it IS sort of different... here's my view (whatever that's worth) of why the average modern high-end speaker probably should depreciate more slowly:

original owners of expensive newer gear like this often take meticulously good care of it, so that it may be in near-new condition. also, design/technology/performance in any given speaker line may not change much in 5 years or even more.

contrast that with automobiles, which can show their age quickly even at low mileage, have rapidly changing features, are more susceptible to fashion trends, and require ongoing maintenance that's usually more intensive as they get older.
 
$2700 is the asking price.Thats around a fourth of the new price.I would never be able to buy a pair new and think he may take 2400 which is a deal in my books.Like what was mentioned these were probably very well taken care of.cdfac made some very good points.
 
Back
Top Bottom