• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

This is why I don't buy GW auctions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm never on that site and had a hard enough time finding the photos.:D
I was viewing it on my idiot phone and didn't scroll down to see the "additional info". Not like I know what that means without researching, but that is what I missed.
 
I STILL prefer to buy in person, but on a rare occasion, will buy from Ebay or Discogs as long as the seller has stellar feedback on their grading system, and as well as shipping. I think I would have to pass on the GW auction based on no grading, or feedback attesting to the accuracy of it.
 
I STILL prefer to buy in person, but on a rare occasion, will buy from Ebay or Discogs as long as the seller has stellar feedback on their grading system, and as well as shipping. I think I would have to pass on the GW auction based on no grading, or feedback attesting to the accuracy of it.
Or at the very least only bid up to what they are worth in G+ condition.
 
Maybe they are worth what they are priced at but…..
I don’t buy from or donate to GW anymore…Here is why I stay away …

A 2013 article on Watchdog.org reported that Goodwill's tax returns showed that more than 100 Goodwills pay less than minimum wage, while simultaneously paying more than $53.7 million in total compensation to top executives.The former CEO, Douglas Barr, of the Goodwill of Southern California was the highest paid Goodwill executive in the country.
He received total compensation worth $1,188,733, including a base salary of $350,200, bonuses worth $87,550, retirement benefits of $71,050, and $637,864 in other reportable compensation.["In 2011, the Columbia Willamette Goodwill, one of the largest in the country, says it paid $922,444 in commensurate wages to approximately 250 people with developmental disabilities. These employees worked 159,584 hours for an average hourly wage of $5.78. The lowest paid worker received just $1.40 per hour."

As always
YMMV
PQ

As always, it is important to know the story behind the story. People who work who are developmentally disabled in sheltered workshop situations are exempt from minimum wage statutes. Why? Because in many cases, if they were working on market wages, they could not be employed, due to their limited to extremely low productivity.

I have a brother- and sister-in-law who are both profoundly handicapped, who both worked in supported workshops for over twenty years before their health issues and handicaps proved to be insurmountable obstacles and they withdrew from these meaningful programs. The high functioning one had great manual dexterity, and was pulling down $8/hr before her retirement. Her brother, who had greater challenges, topped out at $1.72/hr. Both of them were estatic that they could go to work like real people, earn a paycheck every week, be in a socially dynamic situation with their friends and peers, and have a safe, nurturing situation while being monitored by fully trained and capable job coaches. These workplaces were funded by state and federal taxes, state and federal grants, donations to programs from you and me, and were a godsend to the DD families who had members participating.

Paying less than minimum wage? So what! If this were the bar that these social work agencies had to meet for every DD person they supported, virtually 100% would be stored in group homes, or sitting at home(many of which are at or below the poverty line), because the vast majority of these disabled workers LOST MONEY for the business for every single hour they worked. You had the lowered productivity, the job coaches, the medical professional, the site supervisors, the job developers, the program grant writers, and the program managers that few ever see, but trust me, they are there.

There is a certain dignity and self fulfillment that comes with a great deal of human worth to know you have put in a hard week of work, and you are getting paid for it, whether it is chicken scratch, or you can buy a Ferrari every month. Why so many people choose to disregard the good these agencies do, and then pivot to the CEO level, and choose to focus exclusively on some highly paid CEO(who often in the NFP scene deserves such pay because they are extremely well gifted in their abilities) is a mystery for me. I will never cease being grateful for what these not for profits did for my direct relatives, and I cannot do enough to help them, now and in the future. They have been a godsend for so many people, and none of that gets "reported" in Watchdog.org.
 
Last edited:
I would like to take a moment to thank each and every one of you who do shop and donate to Goodwill, SalArmy, and the other charitable thrifts in your area. Please know they do good that you may not always see, and know that you are helping your community when you dig into your wallet to buy something, or donate. Please leave room in your heart to help others out and know that karma best likes help that is not given grudgingly or with strict accounting or measure.
 
There was a story on NPR yesterday about Goodwill and how they handle collectible/valuable donations and put them up for auction. Their job is to maximize revenue so I don't have any problem with what they're doing.
 
As always, it is important to know the story behind the story. People who work who are developmentally disabled in sheltered workshop situations are exempt from minimum wage statutes. Why? Because in many cases, if they were working on market wages, they could not be employed, due to their limited to extremely low productivity.

I have a brother- and sister-in-law who are both profoundly handicapped, who both worked in supported workshops for over twenty years before their health issues and handicaps proved to be insurmountable obstacles and they withdrew from these meaningful programs. The high functioning one had great manual dexterity, and was pulling down $8/hr before her retirement. Her brother, who had greater challenges, topped out at $1.72/hr. Both of them were estatic that they could go to work like real people, earn a paycheck every week, be in a socially dynamic situation with their friends and peers, and have a safe, nurturing situation while being monitored by fully trained and capable job coaches. These workplaces were funded by state and federal taxes, state and federal grants, donations to programs from you and me, and were a godsend to the DD families who had members participating.

Paying less than minimum wage? So what! If this were the bar that these social work agencies had to meet for every DD person they supported, virtually 100% would be stored in group homes, or sitting at home(many of which are at or below the poverty line), because the vast majority of these disabled workers LOST MONEY for the business for every single hour they worked. You had the lowered productivity, the job coaches, the medical professional, the site supervisors, the job developers, the program grant writers, and the program managers that few ever see, but trust me, they are there.

There is a certain dignity and self fulfillment that comes with a great deal of human worth to know you have put in a hard week of work, and you are getting paid for it, whether it is chicken scratch, or you can buy a Ferrari every month. Why so many people choose to disregard the good these agencies do, and then pivot to the CEO level, and choose to focus exclusively on some highly paid CEO(who often in the NFP scene deserves such pay because they are extremely well gifted in their abilities) is a mystery for me. I will never cease being grateful for what these not for profits did for my direct relatives, and I cannot do enough to help them, now and in the future. They have been a godsend for so many people, and none of that gets "reported" in Watchdog.org.


I am a benefits consultant for businesses and one of my clients was a factory employing DD workers. Management spoke glowingly of their employees and how they had to tell workers waiting at the door in a snowstorm that the factory was closed that day due to the weather. Sounds like a win-win to me!
 
I've got an ancient Duke Ellington platter set, all 1947 singles on two PL's meant only for radio distribution. Recorded in '47...
 
I'm not trying to take anything away from what so many are trying to do. But other governments do more for their disabled. I've seen how disabled people live in Germany, have a good friend of my wife's family that is German and disabled and I've been in public with him and the amount of care given him by all those he is around while on the train, in restaurants is astounding. It's like people stop everything just to accomidating this man, then go back to enjoying themselves and the way they include him in their conversations is heart warming. With other countries it is not just something that needs to be addressed, it's like...that could have been me !

There are so many people that wish more could be done for disabled people but our system of finances does not allow it and no one sees the need to change it.
 
As always, it is important to know the story behind the story. People who work who are developmentally disabled in sheltered workshop situations are exempt from minimum wage statutes. Why? Because in many cases, if they were working on market wages, they could not be employed, due to their limited to extremely low productivity.

I have a brother- and sister-in-law who are both profoundly handicapped, who both worked in supported workshops for over twenty years before their health issues and handicaps proved to be insurmountable obstacles and they withdrew from these meaningful programs. The high functioning one had great manual dexterity, and was pulling down $8/hr before her retirement. Her brother, who had greater challenges, topped out at $1.72/hr. Both of them were estatic that they could go to work like real people, earn a paycheck every week, be in a socially dynamic situation with their friends and peers, and have a safe, nurturing situation while being monitored by fully trained and capable job coaches. These workplaces were funded by state and federal taxes, state and federal grants, donations to programs from you and me, and were a godsend to the DD families who had members participating.

Paying less than minimum wage? So what! If this were the bar that these social work agencies had to meet for every DD person they supported, virtually 100% would be stored in group homes, or sitting at home (many of which are at or below the poverty line), because the vast majority of these disabled workers LOST MONEY for the business for every single hour they worked. You had the lowered productivity, the job coaches, the medical professional, the site supervisors, the job developers, the program grant writers, and the program managers that few ever see, but trust me, they are there.

There is a certain dignity and self fulfillment that comes with a great deal of human worth to know you have put in a hard week of work, and you are getting paid for it, whether it is chicken scratch, or you can buy a Ferrari every month. Why so many people choose to disregard the good these agencies do, and then pivot to the CEO level, and choose to focus exclusively on some highly paid CEO(who often in the NFP scene deserves such pay because they are extremely well gifted in their abilities) is a mystery for me. I will never cease being grateful for what these not for profits did for my direct relatives, and I cannot do enough to help them, now and in the future. They have been a godsend for so many people, and none of that gets "reported" in Watchdog.org.

I am very happy that GW has helped your family and many others.
I just wonder that if the CEO and others only made 1/2 of that $53.7 million could they scrape by on a meager $26.85 million
And then took the left over 26.85 million and invested it in the actual disabled workers to improve their lives to the point that they might not need the services of GWI at all after a while?

Can you imagine a sign or your donation receipt at GW reading….

Thank you for supporting GWI with you generous donation.
We are a tax exempt non-profit 501.3 c corporation serving those in America struggling with the greatest needs & facing the hardest challenges amongst us.

Donations like yours to GWI makes so many things possible like….

$53.7 million in executive pay
Our CEO receiving $1.18 million a year
GWI proudly paying our average worker $5.78 -$1.40 an hour.

Thanks again for supporting GWI

I bet donations would dry up faster than a summer rain in Death Valley.

I can’t for the life of me understand what is non-profit about this business model and why it is tax exempt.
Selling 5 donated records for $353.01 and paying $1.18 million CEO salaries.
How is paying someone $1.40 an hour and then cashing a $56.00 paycheck for their 40 hours of hard work dignifying or empowering?
Maybe I am missing something but I didn’t think that one enters the “Tax exempt non profit sector” expecting 7 or 6 figure salaries.

As always YMMV
Respectfully
PQ
 
Last edited:
I have bid and won some items on GW. If they get above what I am willing to pay...good for the person who won. I can say I have not been disappointed yet. And got some nice deals...nothing earth shattering but reasonable. There is one GW poster who does GREAT details on the vinyl and I always look for their posting. Good grading and great descriptions.
 
I am very happy that GW has helped your family and many others.
I just wonder that if the CEO and others only made 1/2 of that $53.7 million could they scrape by on a meager $26.85 million
And then took the left over 26.85 million and invested it in the actual disabled workers to improve their lives to the point that they might not need the services of GWI at all after a while?

Can you imagine a sign or your donation receipt at GW reading….

Thank you for supporting GWI with you generous donation.
We are a tax exempt non-profit 501.3 c corporation serving those in America struggling with the greatest needs & facing the hardest challenges amongst us.

Donations like yours to GWI makes so many things possible like….

$53.7 million in executive pay
Our CEO receiving $1.18 million a year
GWI proudly paying our average worker $5.78 -$1.40 an hour.

Thanks again for supporting GWI

I bet donations would dry up faster than a summer rain in Death Valley.

I can’t for the life of me understand what is non-profit about this business model and why it is tax exempt.
Selling 5 donated records for $353.01 and paying $1.18 million CEO salaries.
How is paying someone $1.40 an hour and cashing a $56.00 paycheck for 40 hours of hard work dignifying or empowering?

As always YMMV
Respectfully
PQ

All I know is the people I deal with at GW are great peeps. Most on the floor are challenged and I help them out with positive reinforcement and talk. I do not care what the guys at the top make. I get the opportunity to make some people happy at the stores. I do not site on a perch slamming the corporation but engage the few I cross paths with. I actually have a day job and the people above me are VP's making a lot more than I do.......I get over it.
 
You always have choices to make.

You can decide that you will not help people who are at the low end of the totem pole have a brighter day because you think their big cheese makes too much money...even if he helped increase revenues and donations by $30 million a year each year for the past four years.

There are stories at both ends. And the way you select the stories you tell also says a lot about your world view.

Virtually all the Goodwill districts nationwide have a final Goodwill collection outlet store, where the donations that don't sell are funneled before they get sold to the bundlers and recyclers. In St. Louis this store is on Market Street downtown. People pay for the merchandise by the weight of the cart, so much per pound. If you think that all these stores have not been helping the true poor due to the new pricing structures, go to one of these final discount stores, and open your eyes.

If that would be too close to the streets, hit a regular store and peel off a $20 when you come across a needy mother buying baby clothes - they are easy to spot - and you would have a very grateful parent you could directly help.

If Goodwill is anathema to you, do it at another thrift. Charity grows best when it grows with you.
 
If that would be too close to the streets, hit a regular store and peel off a $20 when you come across a needy mother buying baby clothes - they are easy to spot - and you would have a very grateful parent you could directly help.

If Goodwill is anathema to you, do it at another thrift. Charity grows best when it grows with you.

:thumbsup:

That's my thinking, nothing stops anyone from helping another in life.
 
Kudos, 427. Some people truly get it! :angel:
What I don't get is...
Why anytime there is a thread and GW is a part of it, it has to always devolve to a political view of life.
Why people think GW needs to sell what's donated to them cheap so they can buy it...

It's not what they sell to people that helps them but the money that sales generate that helps the poor. I peek in now and then to see what they have, if something is nice and I buy it I always give them a few more bucks. It would most likely cost me more to buy it elsewhere and really would if new, they take donations at the counter.
 
I went by 2 today. I chatted with the staff and made them feel good and we laughed. Some are mentally challenged. We had a good time. I could give a rats ars about the money angle. All I know is that around 30 people were gainfully employed and I had a chance to give them a hard time! :) Shorty after that I went looking for a "Safe space"....
 
I'm all for non profit charities like Goodwill, Salvation Army, Teen Helpline Thrift Stores etc etc. They do A LOT of good for local people both disabled and not. My one beef with Goodwill is this. If something is donated locally, it should be then placed out for sale locally. The stuff I donate I want it to stay in my community and hopefully help someone else in my community. I don't want my Blu Ray DVD player placed on the auction site, then sent to someone in Florida who obviously has some sort of decent income to be bidding and paying shipping in the first place. Put it out at my local GW at a decent price so a friend, a neighbor or someone I may not know can benefit from my kindness.
 
I'm all for non profit charities like Goodwill, Salvation Army, Teen Helpline Thrift Stores etc etc. They do A LOT of good for local people both disabled and not. My one beef with Goodwill is this. If something is donated locally, it should be then placed out for sale locally. The stuff I donate I want it to stay in my community and hopefully help someone else in my community. I don't want my Blu Ray DVD player placed on the auction site, then sent to someone in Florida who obviously has some sort of decent income to be bidding and paying shipping in the first place. Put it out at my local GW at a decent price so a friend, a neighbor or someone I may not know can benefit from my kindness.

As soon as you give or sell something, it's out of your control. It's like quiting a job and wanting to determine who fills it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom