• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thorens TD 126 MK3

ab1800

New Member
Hello,
new to the forum but was wondering what you all thought about this set-up:
Thorens TD 126 MK3 in excellent shape with Thorens arm and Pickering VSX/4000 pickup.
I've listened to it and it sounds good to me. price is 600€ (415£ or 600$). Playing it through my Harman Kardon 970 receiver and ProAc 4 bookshelf speakers. I like the option of listening to my 78s. see photos. doesn't come with a cover. A good deal?
Thanks for any feedback...
AB
 

Attachments

  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 74
  • can01.anibis.ch.jpg
    can01.anibis.ch.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 73
Register to hide this ad
Price seems reasonable. But I suggest try to negotiate getting it WITHOUT cartridge. I always recommend getting brand new cartridge, unless you really know old cartridge history.
 
Thanks so much for the input. It sounds great but the sound keeps cutting out of one of the speakers. Both speakers work for CDs and tuner. I suspect the jack or the cables. i cleaned jacks with qtips and the cable ends with tiny amount of wd40. If I fiddle with the jacks, twisting and turning them in the inputs I can get it to play for a short time. Doesn't matter if I switch red and white only one speaker plays. Would buying a cheap preamp and running the TT through it diminish the sound quality?
 
Your description of the diagnostics does not convince me that you have phono preamp issues. Maybe.

when you lose a speaker is it always the same one? When you switch the RCA plugs, does the problem move to the other channel? What are you twisting and turning just the plug?

It is most common to have a bad wire connection at the RCA or near it on the turntable cable. Sure it could be the amp but it is less common.
 
Hi and thanks so much for the reply. It's always the same speaker. When I switch the plugs it's the same speaker that doesn't work, though both work fine on CD. It's the plug to the left (white) that won't work. If I twist it just right - and do a little dance - it will work for 3 seconds.
 
The cable is tucked inside the TT and am loathe to open things up, otherwise I'd just swap out cable to see if it's because the TT cables are too old nor corroded. Infuriating b/c sound is beautiful, rich and warm...
 
the cables are a weakness. If you take the left and right interconnects and flip them in your preamp, the bad channel remains on the same side?
 
The white phono input is not working. Frustrating....when I plug in the " left" interconnect into the red jack it plays sound through the same speaker as before...
 
If your white phono input does not work unless you physically abuse the connection and both the left and right channel cables work fine plugged into the right channel phono input, you have an issue with the phono input itself. Seems that maybe it is a bad solder joint on that input jack. If it works for a short time, doubt it is the phono stage, just the RCA jack.
 
yep, If you can try it on another pre or receiver or conversely try a different turntable on this receiver, you will know for sure but it seems like your receiver has a loose connection at the jack
 
Price seems reasonable. But I suggest try to negotiate getting it WITHOUT cartridge. I always recommend getting brand new cartridge, unless you really know old cartridge history.

The problem is getting a new cartridge for that very low effective mass tonearm (7.5 grams). One needs a very high compliance cart, like a Ortofon M 20 E S. It is difficult to find new high compliance carts as most current day tonearms have higher effective masses. I know this because I'm the owner of a TD 126 MK 2 (same tonearm as the MK 3) and have been suffering this for a long time. The best deal, to me at least, is to find a used high compliance cart in reasonable condition and get a new stylus for it.
 
The problem is getting a new cartridge for that very low effective mass tonearm (7.5 grams). One needs a very high compliance cart, like a Ortofon M 20 E S. It is difficult to find new high compliance carts as most current day tonearms have higher effective masses. I know this because I'm the owner of a TD 126 MK 2 (same tonearm as the MK 3) and have been suffering this for a long time. The best deal, to me at least, is to find a used high compliance cart in reasonable condition and get a new stylus for it.

You can try Audiotechnica cartridges. Both their MM and MC have high compliance. Then nothing prevents you from adding heavier headshell, like one from Ortofon to increase effective mass.
 
I have an Isotrack tone arm also, and cartridge choice is a bit limited but not impossible. The Pickering is a great cart if you can find a stylus! Keep in mind 78's will need a 78 stylus, too. The Ortofon OM series work really good on these arms and also have a 78 stylus you could switch out on the fly.
 
You can try Audiotechnica cartridges. Both their MM and MC have high compliance. Then nothing prevents you from adding heavier headshell, like one from Ortofon to increase effective mass.

The AT carts I tried (sort of low in the line) never told me anything special. Regarding a heavier headshell, I've not seen any for this tonearm (the "headshell" is
long as it includes a good portion of the tonearm itself). As I said, the most successful cart in that arm, among the ones I tried, is a Ortofon M 20 E S.
 
Thanks for all the input; the seller of the TT lent me a NAD preamp that does the trick. Sound quality seems good but he needs the preamp back. Looks like I'm in the market for a preamp now! At least it's cheaper than trying to repair the receiver here in Switzerland...any suggestions optimizing sound quality/$$$ ? How about the Cambridge Azur 551P?
 
>Noisfreq: So I can't listen to couple of 78s I have kicking around the basement with the stylus I already have?
 
Back
Top Bottom