• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thorens TD 166 mk ii tonearm help

Alfmonster

Active Member
hello! I’ve recently acquire my first Thorens, a TD 166 mk ii and needed help identifying the tonearm/wand combo.

Are the the more recent wands able to be interchanged regardless of versions? And also would someone be able to help explain how to use a printed protractor from Vinyl Engine to align a new cartridge on this arm?

Many thanks in advance,
Richard

View media item 17906
View media item 17907
 
Register to hide this ad
TP-11 Mk-II / TP-62 wand. You can swap it with the TP-63 wand, if you want to, but you're not likely to notice a difference.

Hi tnsilver, thanks for the reply! That’s good news as I was curious as to whether it had to specifically be one model wand or the other when being purchased.

Do you know if the weight changes between the 62 and 63? And if so the cart type?
 
Last edited:
It's exactly the same weight. Some TP-11 Mk-II tonearms came with the TP-63 wand, some with the TP-62. I think the later ones used the TP-62 and had a black CW. Maybe even designated "Mk-III". Minor run variants, no drama in that design.
 
It's exactly the same weight. Some TP-11 Mk-II tonearms came with the TP-63 wand, some with the TP-62. I think the later ones used the TP-62 and had a black CW. Maybe even designated "Mk-III". Minor run variants, no drama in that design.

That’s good to know! I’ve found the wands are a bit difficult to come by however I found a couple Schopper replacement wand. Have you by chance had any experience with those?
 
Are the the more recent wands able to be interchanged regardless of versions? And also would someone be able to help explain how to use a printed protractor from Vinyl Engine to align a new cartridge on this arm?

Yes, you can swap the 62 and 63 wands, and the reproductions, if you want to use multiple cartridges. Otherwise, as @tnsilver already said, there isn't much reason to do so. However, you want to stay away from the TP-70 wand, even though it looks almost identical. It only fits the TD-110 and 115. The whole confusing lineup is here (in German, but Google Translate does a decent job): http://thorens-info.de/html/tonarme.html

Alignment is a little tricky, as these wands were meant to be used with a mounting gauge that puts the stylus tip into the correct spot for both height and overhang. Of course now the original gauge is almost always lost, but 3D printed reproductions are available. Well worth it IMO. You can of course use a protractor but it takes a lot of patience. The TP-62 in particular can be frustrating. There's a fine line between loosening the screws just enough to slide the headshell back and forth, and too loose so that it flops around. But on the plus side, it allows for azimuth adjustment, unlike the 63.
 
Never had one. Why do you want to replace the wand? Anything wrong with the TP-62? You know, this tonearm is OK, but not one of the greater Thorens achievements. IMO not worth spending too much on. A nice cart is cool and can move on to the next TA too, but for the price of that Schpper wand you could score some other real nice accessories.

You have a great point, nothing was wrong with the wand — I was playing with the idea of having multiple cartridges without having to go through the alignment process each time. However I think you make a great point regarding other upgrades like the TA which might be a more significant change to the sound. I feel like I’m about to open up a can of worms but what’s a good tone arm upgrade? I saw on Vinyl Nirvana’s site that he used a Jelco on some of his restorations.
 
Yes, you can swap the 62 and 63 wands, and the reproductions, if you want to use multiple cartridges. Otherwise, as @tnsilver already said, there isn't much reason to do so. However, you want to stay away from the TP-70 wand, even though it looks almost identical. It only fits the TD-110 and 115. The whole confusing lineup is here (in German, but Google Translate does a decent job): http://thorens-info.de/html/tonarme.html

Alignment is a little tricky, as these wands were meant to be used with a mounting gauge that puts the stylus tip into the correct spot for both height and overhang. Of course now the original gauge is almost always lost, but 3D printed reproductions are available. Well worth it IMO. You can of course use a protractor but it takes a lot of patience. The TP-62 in particular can be frustrating. There's a fine line between loosening the screws just enough to slide the headshell back and forth, and too loose so that it flops around. But on the plus side, it allows for azimuth adjustment, unlike the 63.

Thank you for your reply with all of this great information! I was just looking at a tp-70 and am glad I read your response. The more I think about it, the more feel that @tnsilver is right in suggesting thinking about other upgrades for the cost of an extra wand. It might be more a lateral move by spending money on an extra wand to have cartridge options.

The alignment for the tp62 seemed a bit intimidating as I’ve never done one before. I can’t seem to find a lot of videos one using a printed protractor. Do you have any resources?

Thank again @bang4buck !
 
Some Thorens turn table users just use the gauge. :)

Here is an after market example :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pats-Audio...=item4631ac1f14:g:ql0AAOSwZW5Z~Jw2:rk:27:pf:0

Haha that was my original intent! I contacted Pat who informed me that he did not have the alignment gauge for the TP62 and that the gauge was in fact part of the original box that the wand came in. So my option was the protractor from Vinyl engine.

This is what originally started my search for the TP63 wand.
 
I’m afraid I can’t help with the VE protractor, never used it. Do make sure it prints at the correct scale. And keep in mind that the TP-62 will only let you move the cartridge back and forth (overhang), the angle is fixed. Which is in fact making things easier for you. Remember, all you need to do is put the needle on the arc. Thorens engineers already did the rest. (Grumbling in German all the way that cartridges aren’t standardized, of course.)
 
I’m afraid I can’t help with the VE protractor, never used it. Do make sure it prints at the correct scale. And keep in mind that the TP-62 will only let you move the cartridge back and forth (overhang), the angle is fixed. Which is in fact making things easier for you. Remember, all you need to do is put the needle on the arc. Thorens engineers already did the rest. (Grumbling in German all the way that cartridges aren’t standardized, of course.)

Oh wow that does make it a lot simpler! That’s actually super helpful to know.

Perhaps this next question should be put on a new thread, but I’ve got this opportunity to pick up a TD165 with a Grace 707 tone arm. Would that be a significant difference from the TD166 MK ii with the stock TA? And also do you know what the differences are, if any, between the two TT’s?
 
I think the two are basically the same underneath. The TD-165 would likely be older and, when new, would have come with the original TP16 tonearm instead of the Mk II. (Although for some reason there was a Mk II of the 165 for a little while, as well, and darned if I know what distinguished it from a 166-II.) I don't think it was ever available from Thorens with a Grace arm. It's possible that this was a dealer conversion but more likely this was somebody's DIY effort. So I would take a good look at the quality of the work.

No personal experience but the Grace was well regarded in its time. However, it's very low mass and as a result, somewhat delicate. A lot of them show up on ebay with broken parts so watch out. And it needs a high-compliance cartridge, just like your Mk II Thorens arm, and that's a bit of a challenge today. Back then, you had a choice between Shure, Stanton/Pickering, ADC, Empire and so on, but now the older Ortofon OM series carts and a few Audio-Technicas are about the only ones still readily available new. And if you actually want to pair that Grace arm with a Grace cartridge, be prepared for a long wait and a bidding war...
 
I'll have a go at it, but TLDR - no audible differences. I'll use the analog department's time line, but add some twists of my own because as much as I like that site, they're not inocent of mistakes and their gospel isn't cast in stone.

It all started in '72 with the TD-160 Mk-1. It had a 10mm pin shaped bearing shaft, which was an update of the TD-150/TD-125 10mm ball point shaft and two alloy platters at a total weight of more than 7lbs. The speed control and cue knobs had brass assemblies, it used a 90 - 110V synchronous 16 pole AC motor with a clutched pulley, and it had a glued together particle board veneered plinth with two pin hinges for it's characteristic slide-on hinges dust cover. The TD-160's 'tonearm included' version had the superb TP-16 Mk-I tonearm with 16.5g of effective mass, magnetic anti-skate and dynamic balancing. The one thing it did not have is a safety post to protect the motor pulley and shaft from unwanted collisions by the hefty platter. It was expensive to make and the Japanese competition was already breathing down Thoren's neck!

At the same time Thorens were making a cheaper version of the TD-160 called the TD-165 Mk-I. There were a number of features that changed over time but all seemed to be orchestrated by bean counters and aimed at lowering the production cost. With that said, Thorens did not clear it's remarkable engineering from the scene but kept performance up to snuff regardless. Starting with the plinth, it was stapled together, not glued. The classic TP-16 tonearm gave it's place to a cheaper version, the TP-11 Mk-I. It had a weight on string for anti-skate, screw-on back and forth CW, no dynamic balancing and it was overall more flimsy looking. Even the gimbals frame alloy seemed different. The alloy sub-platter was replaced by a black resin lighter version, which in turn allowed for replacing the suspension springs with thinner, cheaper, lighter substitutes, but despite the common belief, the main bearing shaft was kept at it's original diameter of 10mm. This is important because the later 7mm diameter shafts only appeared with the Mk-II of that series of turntables. The brass knobs assembly gave way for plastic and the metallic coating of the knobs themselves went away for raw black plastic look. On a bright note, a safety post was added to protect the motor shaft from the hefty main platter but the clutched pulley was replaced with a cheaper version. Surprisingly and remarkably, the TD-165 wasn't a downgrade on performance. Sure it had a lighter tonearm, but that was the times when higher compliance MM/MI carts were quickly replacing the older stiff and heavy MC carts of the 60's, so the TP-11 was actually a better contemporary matching solution.

By 1975 Thorens came up with the TD-145 Mk-I which was nearly identical to the TD-160, except it included an overly engineered (IMO) electronic auto shut-off / tonearm lift mechanism at end-of-play.

Note the production pattern, by this time, was already established for the TD-16X series. Thorens had the flagship TD-160 model, the cheaper to produce TD-165 variant and an additional automatic (to some extent) variant dubbed the TD-14X. This pattern was kept more or less steady until end of production, bankruptcy (one or the other) or whichever came first.

Enter Mk-II... from here it goes downhill for build quality but not necessarily for performance. In '76 Thorens introduced the updated version of the TP-16 and TP-11 tonearms dubbed 'IsoTrack'. Both had 'wands', first the TP-62 then the TP-63 but the TP-16 kept it's magnetic anti-skate and dynamic balancing while the TP-11 kept the weight on string and general flimsiness it always possessed. It was simply a cheaper version of the same specs tonearm and the effective mass went down from 16.5g and 11g of the Mk-I to 7.5g of both Mk-II. Later versions of the TP-16/TP-11 IsoTrack were designated Mk-III and included an all black look and a TP-62 wand for the TP-11.

So by '76 we have a little twist in the chain of events. First, we have a flagship TD-160 Mk-II, then a new model, the TD-166 Mk-I and an auto version TD-145 Mk-II, all with IsoTrack tonearms, but we also have a TD-165 Mk-II. The later had the shaft diameter downsized to 7mm coming down a resin platter, but that's not all there's to it. All of them had the plinth swapped for a lower profile with new plasticky and breakable hinges that were used to grip a new lower profile dust cover. The plinth was covered in vinyl laminate, gone was the veneer and gone was the classic iconic aluminum dust cover support strip at the front of the plinth. A new low voltage "Sonceboz" motor was introduced on some of the later Mk-II versions which meant the entire power supply wiring hub could be eliminated in favour of a 16V/140mA "wallwart" power supply adapter, which coincidentally solved the multi-voltage issue with different markets. It was also a much cleaner solution for the 220V version which had a shunt resistor installed to 'burn' the excess voltage off as heat. By that time all knob assemblies on all models were plastic and the clutched pulley disappeared from all but the 160 primary models. Around 1979 the TD-166 Mk-II came to birth with the auto variant, the TD-146. Both had the TP-11 IsoTrack tonearm with the TP-63 wand. The 146 came with the 160 inherited silvery control knobs (the 166 didn't).

1982 was nearly the last of the 16X series iterations with the introduction of the TD-160 Super and the TD-147. The super was basically a Mk-II with dampening material stuck to the innards of the chassis, steel dust cover hinges and a heftier thicker plinth that had a substantial bottom cover instead of the earlier masonite plate. It was a very good variant and it also promoted (or rather demoted) some more changes to the 'lesser' models which are way less known. One of which is the TD-160 Mk-III. It wasn't dampened as the Super, it had the regular Mk-II plinth and a Sonceboz motor with the wallwart adapter, but it also had a firstly seen alloy sub-platter with a 7mm shaft.

Later on in the 80's there were Mk-V and Mk-VI of the TD-166 and TD-146 these came with resin sub-platters but they were already too far off the classic TD-16X series and included knobs from later and cheaper series of Thorens turntables and a different tonearm (TP-50) that wasn't a direct descendant of the TP-16/TP-11. These were still available for consumers as late as early 90's.

To sum this up and answer your question, It appears Thorens was influenced by bean counters directives to cut corners and lower production costs since as early as 1972. I had owned (and still do) nearly all the flagship TD-160 variants since the Mk-I and at least two variants of the TD-165. With sincere honesty and to my deepest regrets I cannot testify to any audible difference in performance with any of them. Sure, there's the 'minor' issue of different stock tonearms but that's tossed out the window when I swap back to the classic TP-16 for all variants. I never liked the TP-11 (and it's successors) too much, but the TP-16 IsoTrack is a very good tonearm that I use on my TD-125. My conclusion is that despite the constant economic pressure to lower production costs, Thorens engineering did a pretty good job at keeping the essential design right so performance is affected in the least significant way. Who cares what the assemblies of the control knobs are made of - right? Plastic, brass, kryptonite... That really doesn't make a difference does it?! But surprisingly, even the reduction of the main bearings shaft's diameter to 7mm doesn't seem to make a difference. In fact, my Mk-III TD-160 with the alloy sub-platter and 7mm shaft seems to have the best responding suspension system of them all. You may think a resin platter is a serious downgrade done on the sole intent of saving money, but as it turns out, it may just as well be less susceptible to resonances and allows for lighter suspension springs that improve the suspension reactance. Who knows... I admire the Thorens engineers who managed to get things right regardless.

The difference between a 165 and a 166 Mk-II would depend on the mark of the 165. With the tonearm question out of the way, the general principal is earlier equals better build quality. For north americans with a 120V power grid, I'd recommend the 165 with the original 110V motor. Europeans owners should mind the shunt resistor in the power supply that may need swapping to 10KΩ or just go for the 166 with the power supply adapter. The other general principal is that if you stick to general principals you're bound to miss on a whole lot of fun stuff. They are both the same soundwise.
 
Just to add on the subject of the Grace 707 arm, you can of course always add mass at the headshell to make it more compatible with today's cartridges. Methods range from crude (coins and Blu-Tac) to elegant (custom ebony shims). Eventually you'll need a heavier counterweight to compensate, though.
 
I'll have a go at it, but TLDR - no audible differences. I'll use the analog department's time line, but add some twists of my own because as much as I like that site, they're not inocent of mistakes and their gospel isn't cast in stone.

It all started in '72 with the TD-160 Mk-1. It had a 10mm pin shaped bearing shaft, which was an update of the TD-150/TD-125 10mm ball point shaft and two alloy platters at a total weight of more than 7lbs. The speed control and cue knobs had brass assemblies, it used a 90 - 110V synchronous 16 pole AC motor with a clutched pulley, and it had a glued together particle board veneered plinth with two pin hinges for it's characteristic slide-on hinges dust cover. The TD-160's 'tonearm included' version had the superb TP-16 Mk-I tonearm with 16.5g of effective mass, magnetic anti-skate and dynamic balancing. The one thing it did not have is a safety post to protect the motor pulley and shaft from unwanted collisions by the hefty platter. It was expensive to make and the Japanese competition was already breathing down Thoren's neck!

At the same time Thorens were making a cheaper version of the TD-160 called the TD-165 Mk-I. There were a number of features that changed over time but all seemed to be orchestrated by bean counters and aimed at lowering the production cost. With that said, Thorens did not clear it's remarkable engineering from the scene but kept performance up to snuff regardless. Starting with the plinth, it was stapled together, not glued. The classic TP-16 tonearm gave it's place to a cheaper version, the TP-11 Mk-I. It had a weight on string for anti-skate, screw-on back and forth CW, no dynamic balancing and it was overall more flimsy looking. Even the gimbals frame alloy seemed different. The alloy sub-platter was replaced by a black resin lighter version, which in turn allowed for replacing the suspension springs with thinner, cheaper, lighter substitutes, but despite the common belief, the main bearing shaft was kept at it's original diameter of 10mm. This is important because the later 7mm diameter shafts only appeared with the Mk-II of that series of turntables. The brass knobs assembly gave way for plastic and the metallic coating of the knobs themselves went away for raw black plastic look. On a bright note, a safety post was added to protect the motor shaft from the hefty main platter but the clutched pulley was replaced with a cheaper version. Surprisingly and remarkably, the TD-165 wasn't a downgrade on performance. Sure it had a lighter tonearm, but that was the times when higher compliance MM/MI carts were quickly replacing the older stiff and heavy MC carts of the 60's, so the TP-11 was actually a better contemporary matching solution.

By 1975 Thorens came up with the TD-145 Mk-I which was nearly identical to the TD-160, except it included an overly engineered (IMO) electronic auto shut-off / tonearm lift mechanism at end-of-play.

Note the production pattern, by this time, was already established for the TD-16X series. Thorens had the flagship TD-160 model, the cheaper to produce TD-165 variant and an additional automatic (to some extent) variant dubbed the TD-14X. This pattern was kept more or less steady until end of production, bankruptcy (one or the other) or whichever came first.

Enter Mk-II... from here it goes downhill for build quality but not necessarily for performance. In '76 Thorens introduced the updated version of the TP-16 and TP-11 tonearms dubbed 'IsoTrack'. Both had 'wands', first the TP-62 then the TP-63 but the TP-16 kept it's magnetic anti-skate and dynamic balancing while the TP-11 kept the weight on string and general flimsiness it always possessed. It was simply a cheaper version of the same specs tonearm and the effective mass went down from 16.5g and 11g of the Mk-I to 7.5g of both Mk-II. Later versions of the TP-16/TP-11 IsoTrack were designated Mk-III and included an all black look and a TP-62 wand for the TP-11.

So by '76 we have a little twist in the chain of events. First, we have a flagship TD-160 Mk-II, then a new model, the TD-166 Mk-I and an auto version TD-145 Mk-II, all with IsoTrack tonearms, but we also have a TD-165 Mk-II. The later had the shaft diameter downsized to 7mm coming down a resin platter, but that's not all there's to it. All of them had the plinth swapped for a lower profile with new plasticky and breakable hinges that were used to grip a new lower profile dust cover. The plinth was covered in vinyl laminate, gone was the veneer and gone was the classic iconic aluminum dust cover support strip at the front of the plinth. A new low voltage "Sonceboz" motor was introduced on some of the later Mk-II versions which meant the entire power supply wiring hub could be eliminated in favour of a 16V/140mA "wallwart" power supply adapter, which coincidentally solved the multi-voltage issue with different markets. It was also a much cleaner solution for the 220V version which had a shunt resistor installed to 'burn' the excess voltage off as heat. By that time all knob assemblies on all models were plastic and the clutched pulley disappeared from all but the 160 primary models. Around 1979 the TD-166 Mk-II came to birth with the auto variant, the TD-146. Both had the TP-11 IsoTrack tonearm with the TP-63 wand. The 146 came with the 160 inherited silvery control knobs (the 166 didn't).

1982 was nearly the last of the 16X series iterations with the introduction of the TD-160 Super and the TD-147. The super was basically a Mk-II with dampening material stuck to the innards of the chassis, steel dust cover hinges and a heftier thicker plinth that had a substantial bottom cover instead of the earlier masonite plate. It was a very good variant and it also promoted (or rather demoted) some more changes to the 'lesser' models which are way less known. One of which is the TD-160 Mk-III. It wasn't dampened as the Super, it had the regular Mk-II plinth and a Sonceboz motor with the wallwart adapter, but it also had a firstly seen alloy sub-platter with a 7mm shaft.

Later on in the 80's there were Mk-V and Mk-VI of the TD-166 and TD-146 these came with resin sub-platters but they were already too far off the classic TD-16X series and included knobs from later and cheaper series of Thorens turntables and a different tonearm (TP-50) that wasn't a direct descendant of the TP-16/TP-11. These were still available for consumers as late as early 90's.

To sum this up and answer your question, It appears Thorens was influenced by bean counters directives to cut corners and lower production costs since as early as 1972. I had owned (and still do) nearly all the flagship TD-160 variants since the Mk-I and at least two variants of the TD-165. With sincere honesty and to my deepest regrets I cannot testify to any audible difference in performance with any of them. Sure, there's the 'minor' issue of different stock tonearms but that's tossed out the window when I swap back to the classic TP-16 for all variants. I never liked the TP-11 (and it's successors) too much, but the TP-16 IsoTrack is a very good tonearm that I use on my TD-125. My conclusion is that despite the constant economic pressure to lower production costs, Thorens engineering did a pretty good job at keeping the essential design right so performance is affected in the least significant way. Who cares what the assemblies of the control knobs are made of - right? Plastic, brass, kryptonite... That really doesn't make a difference does it?! But surprisingly, even the reduction of the main bearings shaft's diameter to 7mm doesn't seem to make a difference. In fact, my Mk-III TD-160 with the alloy sub-platter and 7mm shaft seems to have the best responding suspension system of them all. You may think a resin platter is a serious downgrade done on the sole intent of saving money, but as it turns out, it may just as well be less susceptible to resonances and allows for lighter suspension springs that improve the suspension reactance. Who knows... I admire the Thorens engineers who managed to get things right regardless.

The difference between a 165 and a 166 Mk-II would depend on the mark of the 165. With the tonearm question out of the way, the general principal is earlier equals better build quality. For north americans with a 120V power grid, I'd recommend the 165 with the original 110V motor. Europeans owners should mind the shunt resistor in the power supply that may need swapping to 10KΩ or just go for the 166 with the power supply adapter. The other general principal is that if you stick to general principals you're bound to miss on a whole lot of fun stuff. They are both the same soundwise.

@tnsilver !! Wow this was an incredible read! Thank you for writing this, I’m sure I won’t be the only one benefitting from your response. This put me at ease with my TD166 mk ii purchase and the current tone arm. I was looking for a td160 but a kind man offered the 166 for $200 which I couldn’t pass up. I also didn’t realize the build quality issue of the particle board plinths. I had thought it was all walnut. I believe the 165 I was looking at was a mk ii.

Thank you again for this incredible write up!!
 
Just to add on the subject of the Grace 707 arm, you can of course always add mass at the headshell to make it more compatible with today's cartridges. Methods range from crude (coins and Blu-Tac) to elegant (custom ebony shims). Eventually you'll need a heavier counterweight to compensate, though.

That is great to know actually, are these custom ebony shims able to be used also on the tp11 to use some of today’s carts?

I think the 165 sold but perhaps that was for the better. I need to delete all my eBay/craigslist apps as the temptation is too great to keep looking. Slippery slope.

After reading @tnsilver ’s response, it answered so many questions that I had regarding the Thorens turn tables. I started with asking a friend about his speakers, which started a curiosity of the potential sound that was waiting to be unleashed in my vinyl collection...and then I had caught the bug. Quite fun might I add. But thanks for your responses @bang4buck !
 
That is great to know actually, are these custom ebony shims able to be used also on the tp11 to use some of today’s carts?

I meant custom as in, you make your own, or you ask a woodworker buddy :) But as usual, ebay to the rescue, just search ebony + cartridge. No doubt other woods and metals, as well. I see them offered for various cartridges and they should work fine on the TP11, provided you have the proper screws in various lengths.

Edited to add: That AT140LC in your photos should be a fine cartridge and is a good if not perfect match for the arm, per the VE calculators. Sorry if it sounded like I was recommending a change. That stylus costs about $200 to replace now so it would make sense to have it inspected. There might be lots of life left in it yet.
 
Last edited:
I meant custom as in, you make your own, or you ask a woodworker buddy :) But as usual, ebay to the rescue, just search ebony + cartridge. No doubt other woods and metals, as well. I see them offered for various cartridges and they should work fine on the TP11, provided you have the proper screws in various lengths.

Edited to add: That AT140LC in your photos should be a fine cartridge and is a good if not perfect match for the arm, per the VE calculators. Sorry if it sounded like I was recommending a change. That stylus costs about $200 to replace now so it would make sense to have it inspected. There might be lots of life left in it yet.

That’s good news about the cartridge - I guess I got lucky with that! When you say have it inspected is there some place to get it looked at or would I have to buy a brand new one/ or replacement needle? I was actually quite pleasantly surprised at the sound it gave off when I heard it for the first time.. I’m glad to know that my ears were not playing tricks on me.
 
Where are you located? It's a good idea to fill in the location in your user profile. I wonder if with the vinyl revival, some of the larger record stores might once again offer needle inspections like back in the old days, although it takes practice in addition to a microscope.

You could ask marcmorin on this forum, he looked at one of mine under his scope, but he kind of did it as a favor along with some paid work. I don't know if it's something he likes to do.

I find, to get at least a rough idea of stylus condition, just play a record. Obviously not a cherished rarity. A thrift store copy of something that's known to be a good recording and that you can always replace. For me, The Police - Synchronicity. Listen for sibilance (exaggerated "s" sounds) in Sting's vocals. If he's "caught between a Sssssilla and Charybdissss" then either your stylus has had it, or that copy of the album! All after you meticulously adjust the cartridge, of course.
 
Where are you located? It's a good idea to fill in the location in your user profile. I wonder if with the vinyl revival, some of the larger record stores might once again offer needle inspections like back in the old days, although it takes practice in addition to a microscope.

You could ask marcmorin on this forum, he looked at one of mine under his scope, but he kind of did it as a favor along with some paid work. I don't know if it's something he likes to do.

I find, to get at least a rough idea of stylus condition, just play a record. Obviously not a cherished rarity. A thrift store copy of something that's known to be a good recording and that you can always replace. For me, The Police - Synchronicity. Listen for sibilance (exaggerated "s" sounds) in Sting's vocals. If he's "caught between a Sssssilla and Charybdissss" then either your stylus has had it, or that copy of the album! All after you meticulously adjust the cartridge, of course.

Wow! I feel this is such obvious information to everyone and I’m just really late to the party. I suppose I have to start somewhere. I’m in New York, so perhaps I’ll call around to some of the stereo stores or record stores this weekend to see if they can check the stylus out.

That’s also great info about how to tell if a stylus has gone bad. I’ll play a record and listen carefully.
 
Back
Top Bottom